hard disk apparently stops powersupply working

Old November 10th 03, 07:23 AM
-keevill-

Default hard disk apparently stops powersupply working

My computer failed to start and when I checked, there was a burning smell
from the powersupply so I naturally concluded that the powersupply had died.
I exchanged the powersupply (an ATX type) and still the machine did not
start, not even the fan in the powersupply was turning. I swapped my hard
disk for another and then the powersupply fan starts to turn. What could be
causing this? I can understand that the hard disk could be damaged, but how
could this be preventing the powersupply fan to turn?

Old November 10th 03, 07:37 AM

"-keevill-" wrote in message
My computer failed to start and when I checked, there was a burning smell
from the powersupply so I naturally concluded that the powersupply had

died.
I exchanged the powersupply (an ATX type) and still the machine did not
start, not even the fan in the powersupply was turning. I swapped my hard
disk for another and then the powersupply fan starts to turn. What could

be
causing this? I can understand that the hard disk could be damaged, but

how
could this be preventing the powersupply fan to turn?

Not sure, but if it's any help, the exact same thing happened to my
computer. Mine was a Seagate hard disk.

Old November 10th 03, 10:03 AM
Muttley

Most likely the dead hard-drive is shorting out one of the supply rails on
the Power Supply, and the Short Circuit protection in the Power Supply is
preventing it from powering up....... Otherwise it would burn up too........
Expected behaviour............

John S.

Old November 10th 03, 10:48 AM
Ric Harris

-keevill- wrote:
My computer failed to start and when I checked, there was a burning smell
from the powersupply so I naturally concluded that the powersupply had died.
I exchanged the powersupply (an ATX type) and still the machine did not
start, not even the fan in the powersupply was turning. I swapped my hard
disk for another and then the powersupply fan starts to turn. What could be
causing this? I can understand that the hard disk could be damaged, but how
could this be preventing the powersupply fan to turn?

short in the HDD, quite common. bin it and get another, or return under
warranty.

Old November 10th 03, 11:59 AM
JT

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:23:34 +0700, "-keevill-"
wrote:

My computer failed to start and when I checked, there was a burning smell
from the powersupply so I naturally concluded that the powersupply had died.
I exchanged the powersupply (an ATX type) and still the machine did not
start, not even the fan in the powersupply was turning. I swapped my hard
disk for another and then the powersupply fan starts to turn. What could be
causing this? I can understand that the hard disk could be damaged, but how
could this be preventing the powersupply fan to turn?

A short on the hard drive would cause the PSU to shut down, they have
overcurrent limiting built in.

JT
Old November 10th 03, 08:45 PM
Geoff

-keevill- wrote:
My computer failed to start and when I checked, there was a burning
smell from the powersupply so I naturally concluded that the
powersupply had died. I exchanged the powersupply (an ATX type) and
still the machine did not start, not even the fan in the powersupply
was turning. I swapped my hard disk for another and then the
powersupply fan starts to turn. What could be causing this? I can
understand that the hard disk could be damaged, but how could this be
preventing the powersupply fan to turn?

a duff hard drive can stop the psu turning on, not sure exactly why, but
it's prob a safety thing
(for the pc's safety, not yours btw)

Old November 10th 03, 10:00 PM
ric

-keevill- wrote:

My computer failed to start and when I checked, there was a burning smell
from the powersupply so I naturally concluded that the powersupply had died.
I exchanged the powersupply (an ATX type) and still the machine did not
start, not even the fan in the powersupply was turning. I swapped my hard
disk for another and then the powersupply fan starts to turn. What could be
causing this? I can understand that the hard disk could be damaged, but how
could this be preventing the powersupply fan to turn?

A short in the +5v control circuitry in the HD will trigger the Isc
circuit in the PSU, shutting down the PSU.

Happens quite often.
Old November 11th 03, 02:45 AM
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"-keevill-" wrote in message
My computer failed to start and when I checked, there was a burning smell
from the powersupply so I naturally concluded that the powersupply had

died.
I exchanged the powersupply (an ATX type) and still the machine did not
start, not even the fan in the powersupply was turning. I swapped my hard
disk for another and then the powersupply fan starts to turn. What could

be
causing this? I can understand that the hard disk could be damaged, but

how
could this be preventing the powersupply fan to turn?

The overcurrent protection on the power supply, which is there to a)
avoid actually setting fire to the computer, and b) protect everything else.

Too much current, and presto! Power supply shuts down.

RwP

Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 01:10 AM
Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Hard Disk Partitioning Vanguard General 3 July 8th 03 04:50 PM
Laptop Hard Disk Andy Foster General 7 June 30th 03 04:23 PM