Performance Acceleration Technology (P.A.T)

Old February 2nd 04, 01:15 AM
Dion L Heap

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

Woger MKII wrote
PAT gets disabled if the FSB clock is over 210mhz, and that is a Intel
Standard..

You need CPUID to check for this..

I'm similar hardware config to Tom, 2 x 512 Corsair, at 5:4 and CPU-Z says
mines enabled too.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

Old February 2nd 04, 02:50 AM
Wayne Youngman

Hi,

just read this, what do you make of it?

X-bit labs
Review of ASUS P4P800 Mainboard on i865PE Chipset (page 7)

snip
"Having taken a really in-depth look at PAT technology, we arrived at a very
curious conclusion: there is no PAT at all!"

http://tinyurl.com/2aw3l
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 2nd 04, 03:39 AM
TomG

trying to remember when I got my IC7... seems longer then 6 or 7 months to
be honest... I'd say closer to 10 but my memory could be in error...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

"TomG" wrote
the only thing I am not sure about with the AI7, is that it has uGuru on

it
and it does not appear to have a way to be disabled. this in turn

forces
you to use only uGuru for temperature monitoring and such as it has a

lock
on the sensor ports.

Hi TomG,
I read the same thing. . .

snip

AI7 BIOS 14 - Released Date: 2003-11-18
3) Disable Winbond W83627HF sensor unit to prevent incorrect CPU voltage
information shown in some third party software.
http://tinyurl.com/3yhon

snip

I am a big fan of Motherboard-Monitor, used it for years (you can *tweak*

it
great) love the periodic HTML-based log. But I figure that ABIT have put
some effort into the *hardware-monitoring* uGuru chip, so I am naturally
curious what this new chip can do. I like the concept of having the
motherboard turning up the rpm's of fans according to temps (I think ASUS
has had this feature for a while, Q-Fan?). It seems all the new ABIT

boards
will carry this feature?

It's funny I remember when you bought your IC7-G and the P4 2.4Ghz, that's
why I asked if you upgraded! Now IIRC that would have been about 6-7

months
ago? I remember reading up on the board at the time, looked v nice but in
the U.K it was about £150.00 and the CPU's were about £200. Am I right in
thinking that the Springdale & Canterwoods are only about 6-7 months old?
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 2nd 04, 03:40 AM
TomG

well, I am running 244 and it is not disabled on mine according to CPU-Z.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:22:29 +0000 (UTC), "Wayne Youngman"
wrote:

Hi,
just trying to get some *confirmation* about this tech. I understand

that
it is meant to be a bonus feature of the Canterwood chipset that somehow
makes the memory work faster. What I wont to know now is whether this
feature only works when you run your FSB and memory bus *synchronously*

as
in 1:1.

I seem to be reading stuff that says it is not available when you run say

in
5:4 ratio?

If this is the case then its a great *leveller* between Springdale and
Canterwood chipsets, where someone wants to run 5:4 ratios. . .Is this

true,
or am I misinformed?

I am reading about G.A.T now, an ABIT feature similar to PAT for

Springdale
chipsets. .

V I P E R L A I R .com Game Accelerator Technology
http://tinyurl.com/3eex5

Looks cool, and seems to be getting great results in web reviews (lol
Streetracer, F1, sound funny)

Old February 2nd 04, 04:52 AM
Wayne Youngman

"TomG" wrote
trying to remember when I got my IC7... seems longer then 6 or 7 months

be honest... I'd say closer to 10 but my memory could be in error...

Hi,
well then I suggest you relax the timings or maybe add some vDimm :P
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 2nd 04, 05:15 PM
Skid

Same here. I can run 230+ at 1:1 with PAT enabled, and 220+ at 5:4 with PAT
enabled.

An Abit tech support rep once tried to tell me PAT was disabled with four
sticks of ram because of "an Intel chipset limitation." But others do report
PAT working with four sticks, and on mine I get the same performance as when
PAT was enabled even though CPU-Z says it isn't.

I've come to the conclusion that voodoo hexes and water dousing are more
scientifically reproduceable than the black art of memory configuration on a
Canterwood or Springdale board.

But the best (really the only) attempt I've seen to make sense of Abit's GAT
settings are he

http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushki...990879#abitic7

Quoting he

On the IC7 (Canterwood):

USER TIPS: enabling any of the different performance options will override
the manual latency and frequency ratio settings and force a 1:1 CPURAM
ratio at 2:x:x:x latency settings, with the "Ultra" (now "F1") setting
forcing a 2:2:2:5 latency configuration at DDR400 frequency.

We also found that using the "Turbo" (or "Street Racer") setting at 2:2:2:7
yields overall better performance since a longer tRAS prevents the
controller from inadvertently terminating an ongoing data burst. Enabling
the CPC (Command Per Clock) adds another small notch to the overall
performance but can cause stability problems as well. The Read Delay timer
should be set to 5-6 cycles for best stability and performance or else left
on Auto.

We found that DIMMs that require CAS latencies of 2.5 or higher at DDR400
will not function in any of the available performance modes. The workaround
is to set the performance tab to "Disabled". Even though this appears
counterintuitive at first, it makes sense in that there is no point in
reducing chipset latencies when the memory itself would add those latencies
again at the back-end of the "food chain". The HW monitor shows voltage
values that are below the real voltages, so better not crank them up too
much.

Keep in mind that these recommendations are based on "snapshots" of a few of
the current BIOS revisions and may change with future BIOS versions.

On the IS7 (Springdale):

The ABit IS7 uses a trick to bypass Intel's restrictions on the Springdale
chipset, that is, even at the 800 MHz PSB, the additional pipeline stages in
the memory address and command path are not activated. This, essentially,
turns the Springdale into a pseudo-canterwood with all performance benefits
associated with the more expensive Canterwood chipset but no support for
ECC. In theory, the Springdale should work similar to the Canterwood,
however, keep in mind that the dies used there are not validated for
Performance Acceleration Technology. This, in turn, means that there are no
guarantees that the performance modes will actually run stable. Because of
this "cheat" beyond Intel's specifications, we are only scratching the
surface of potential issues and bugs at this point.

With the samples at hand, we still found the IS7 100% compatible with all
Mushkin PC3200 and PC3500 Black series. Keep in mind that it is necessary to
populate the board with a minimum of two identical DIMMs in the
complementary slots in order to get "Dual Channel" performance.

USER TIPS: enabling any of the different performance options will override
the manual latency and frequency ratio settings and force a 1:1 CPURAM
ratio at 2:x:x:x latency settings, with the "Ultra" (now "F1") setting
forcing a 2:2:2:5 latency configuration at DDR400 frequency.

The same issues apply to the IS7 as what we listed for the IC7: using the

Old February 3rd 04, 01:19 AM
TomG

don't need to. I own one of the boards and PAT is not disabled and I run
244 FSB.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 01:05:17 +0000 (UTC), "Wayne Youngman"
wrote:

Woger MKII wrote
PAT gets disabled if the FSB clock is over 210mhz, and that is a Intel
Standard..

You need CPUID to check for this..

Hi,
are you sure about that?
I never heard anything like that, what I heard was PAT is disabled in
anything other than 1:1 ratio. Lol the Plot thickens :P

Yes 200% sure..

Do a search on Google..

Old February 3rd 04, 03:58 PM
Skid

Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz wrote in message
May be if its a Abit but Asus and Gigabyte do not let you go over 210Mhz

FSB..

First you say it's an Intel standard, now you say some boardmakers do and
some don't. It's still not true.

There are any number of websites that have reviewed Canterwood boards with
PAT working well beyond 210 mhz. Mine does, Tom's does, and a lot of other
people will tell you the same.

At this point, you're the only person claiming otherwise, and you have
offered no source or confirmation.

Old February 3rd 04, 08:44 PM
Hoonose

Asus P4P800 Deluxe P4c + (Springdale)
2x512MB Winbond PC3200, Dual Mode @ 222, 1:1
full PAT enabled with BigToes mod /1014 Bios
ATI 9700 Pro @365/338
2 - WD400JB 8MB cache RAID0
Maxtor 40GB ATA-133
Enermax 430 Watts Power
Audigy2
Windows XP

BigToe's mod....
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...threadid=51548

The Springdale board was $70-80 cheaper than the Canterwood....

Gene
Old February 3rd 04, 10:03 PM
Skid

"Hoonose" wrote in message
om...
Asus P4P800 Deluxe P4c + (Springdale)
2x512MB Winbond PC3200, Dual Mode @ 222, 1:1
full PAT enabled with BigToes mod /1014 Bios
ATI 9700 Pro @365/338
2 - WD400JB 8MB cache RAID0
Maxtor 40GB ATA-133
Enermax 430 Watts Power
Audigy2
Windows XP

BigToe's mod....
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...threadid=51548

The Springdale board was $70-80 cheaper than the Canterwood....

Interesting results. I'd seen the BigToes thread before, so I know 210+ with
PAT was possible on Springdale, and I'm doing it on a Canterwood with no mod
necessary.

But that price difference is surprising. The difference between an Abit IC7
and IS7 is more like $20.