Text corruption?

Old May 18th 10, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell

Default Text corruption?

Help!

Using Google Earth, my text is badly corrupted. Not in the graphics (map)
area, but in the 'text' areas. Here is a screenshot:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-TextProblem.jpg

I've checked a few other applications but this seems to be confined to GE.
However, unless I'm imagining it, all text (including this that I'm typing)
seems a little washed out, not quite as BLACK as I recall. Also, I'm suddenly
seeing some odd vertical 'separator' characters appearing intermittently in
text after I paste it in here (like my specs below.) It then disappears.

This is a Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 667 MHz, 512 MB nVIDIA GeoForce
8800GT

Any ideas anyone please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 18th 10, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
peter

Please tell us the make and model of your monitor and its settings
Do you have cleartype turned on??

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old May 18th 10, 09:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell

"Len Hickman" wrote:

It looks like someone has altered the settings for cleartype.

len

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Len, Peter: Thanks both, appreciate the fast responses. Cleartype is enabled.
And text elsewhere does seem OK. Reckon I was imagining it earlier.

Further tests seem to show that this serious and strange problem is confined
to the latest version of Google Earth, v 5.1.3533. I uninstalled it and
installed GE 4.3.7284 and that is OK.

Yet I've been running GE 5.1.3533 for some weeks and only today has this
problem arisen.

Could those vertical separators appearing in my text when composing messages
in my email/newsreader program (Agent) or browser (Firefox) somehow be
connected?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old May 19th 10, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell

"First of One" wrote:

Do you happen to have anti-aliasing forced on in the nVidia control panel?

Thanks, no, that's set to 'Allow application to handle', or words along those
lines.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 19th 10, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Could those vertical separators appearing in my text when composing messages
in my email/newsreader program (Agent) or browser (Firefox) somehow be
connected?

From the Agent newsgroup, that turns out to be directly associated with
Cleartype, although that particular long-standing bug is unique to Agent.
Here's a screenshot for the curious:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/AgentTextProblem.jpg

At present I'm still using the old version 4 of GE top which I reverted
yesterday. That continues to display correctly. But I haven't yet tried
re-installing GE version 5.

BTW, I found and used the Microsoft Cleartype Tuner as a result of this
research.

Any other insights/suggestions would be appreciated please.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK