PSU for 470

Old July 10th 10, 07:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Andersson

Default PSU for 470

Hi!

Any suggestions on size of a PSU for a system with a i750 cpu and a 470GTX
graphics card, say 4hds, dvd/rw, mobo and a pci soundcard? Some overclocking
expected for CPU and GFX (both air cooled).
System will never go SLI but a Pysichs card might at some point be added.

Thanks for any advice.

Old July 10th 10, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Le Forgeron[_2_]

Le 10/07/2010 20:44, Thomas Andersson nous fit lire :
Hi!

Any suggestions on size of a PSU for a system with a i750 cpu and a 470GTX
graphics card, say 4hds, dvd/rw, mobo and a pci soundcard? Some overclocking
expected for CPU and GFX (both air cooled).
System will never go SLI but a Pysichs card might at some point be added.

Short of the pci soundcard, I have a Seasonix X-750 for that kind of
system (also 4 hard drives, 1 dvd/rw, 470 GTX, just another i7 model).
Run fine. No problem (X-750 is a 80+gold, if you take another PSU, take
that into account (loosing 10% of 750 can be important)

Back of 470 box says: minimum 550W with 38A on 12V rail.
Old July 10th 10, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Thomas Andersson

Le Forgeron wrote:

Any suggestions on size of a PSU for a system with a i750 cpu and a
470GTX graphics card, say 4hds, dvd/rw, mobo and a pci soundcard?
Some overclocking expected for CPU and GFX (both air cooled).
System will never go SLI but a Pysichs card might at some point be
added.

Short of the pci soundcard, I have a Seasonix X-750 for that kind of
system (also 4 hard drives, 1 dvd/rw, 470 GTX, just another i7 model).
Run fine. No problem (X-750 is a 80+gold, if you take another PSU,
take that into account (loosing 10% of 750 can be important)

Back of 470 box says: minimum 550W with 38A on 12V rail.

I have a Corsair TX650W in the old system, maybe that is cutting it close
then. Maybe a good 750 as yours (I favour Enermax PSUs whenever possible).
Thanks for the info.

Old July 10th 10, 10:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Thomas Andersson wrote:
Hi!

Any suggestions on size of a PSU for a system with a i750 cpu and a 470GTX
graphics card, say 4hds, dvd/rw, mobo and a pci soundcard? Some overclocking
expected for CPU and GFX (both air cooled).
System will never go SLI but a Pysichs card might at some point be added.

Thanks for any advice.

I5-750 95 watts. About 8.8 amps from +12V, at 90% Vcore efficiency.

GTX 470 is here.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...0_6.html#sect0

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video...470_plines.png

12V @ 17.4 amps.

Four hard drives, 12V @ 0.6A, 5V @ 1A each, gives 12V @ 2.4A.
(Many drives now, are better than that.)

Cooling fans 12V @ 0.5 amps.

One DVD, 12V @ 1.5A, 5V @ 1.5A (boiler plate max) gives 12V @ 1.5A.

Mobo and RAM is 50 watts from 3.3V and/or 5V.

Throw in another 10 watts for +5VSB powering USB stuff.

*******

Total amps 8.8+17.4+2.4+0.5+1.5= 30.6 amps

Total power - 12*30.6 + 20 + 7.5 + 50 + 10 = 454.7 watts

Compare to:

+3.3V @ 24A, +5V @ 30A, +12V @ 52A, -12V @ 0.8A, +5VSB @ 3.0A

More than enough amps to meet 12 @ 30.1 amps.

170W combined power on 3.3/5V is enough for 77.5 watts load.

Overall power rating is sufficient to handle 454.7 watt load.

Your current supply should be enough. And the TX650W has good efficiency.

http://www.corsair.com/_images/chart...efficiency.jpg

( http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx )

As long as it has enough PCI Express power connectors, you're all set.

Paul
Old July 10th 10, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

On 7/10/2010 1:44 PM, Thomas Andersson wrote:
Hi!

Any suggestions on size of a PSU for a system with a i750 cpu and a 470GTX
graphics card, say 4hds, dvd/rw, mobo and a pci soundcard? Some overclocking
expected for CPU and GFX (both air cooled).
System will never go SLI but a Pysichs card might at some point be added.

Thanks for any advice.

Any Corsair 80+ certified of 650W or greater.
Old July 12th 10, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
iniesta

I would recommend the 'Corsair CMPSU-750HX'
(http://tinyurl.com/2brhlkw).
The Corsair Professional Series HX750W PSU utilizes advanced DC-to-DC
circuitry and meets 80 PLUS SILVER certification standards for up to 90%
energy-efficiency, reducing wasted energy and lowering the amount of
excess heat generated.

--
iniesta
Old July 13th 10, 09:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
mueller

iniesta;904714 Wrote:
I would recommend the 'Corsair CMPSU-750HX'
(http://tinyurl.com/2brhlkw).
The Corsair Professional Series HX750W PSU utilizes advanced DC-to-DC
circuitry and meets 80 PLUS SILVER certification standards for up to 90%
energy-efficiency, reducing wasted energy and lowering the amount of
excess heat generated.

I actually have 1 for it, works nice!

--
mueller
Old July 14th 10, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tom Lake

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in message
Hi!

Any suggestions on size of a PSU for a system with a i750 cpu and a 470GTX
graphics card, say 4hds, dvd/rw, mobo and a pci soundcard? Some overclocking
expected for CPU and GFX (both air cooled).
System will never go SLI but a Pysichs card might at some point be added.

Thanks for any advice.

I have a Dell XPS 9000 with a 475 W ps. I'm using a Core i7 980X, 24 GB RAM, three
2 GB WD hard drives and an nVidia GTX 275 with no problem playing games at full
res with all options.

The GTX 275 has a TDP of 219 W while the 470 has a TDP of 215 W. I'm upgrading to
a 470 to save 4 W and have almost twice the performance of the 275. I would think a
good 600 W ps (Dell measures constant output unlike some ps makers) should be fine.

Tom Lake

Old July 15th 10, 05:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

See Paul's post for a detailed breakdown of component current draw. Corsair
TX650W is more than enough. In fact Paul's estimate may be conservative,
because max current draw for the disk drives (startup) doesn't occur at the
same time as for the CPU and GPU (3D game).

Corsair PSUs are equal or better than Enermax PSUs.