Slow boot at "Verifying DMI pool data..."

Old April 18th 04, 05:31 PM
Jason Tsang

Default Slow boot at "Verifying DMI pool data..."

Windows XP hasn't loaded at that point, so it has nothing to do with your
issue.

You might want to see if a motherboard bios update from (I'm assuming you
have an Asus motherboard based on the groups you posted to) Asus which could
fix this problem.

Otherwise, it might be a piece of hardware in your computer causing this.
Without more details, it is hard to pinpoint an exact solution for you.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"CrackerJack" wrote in message
ws.com...
At some point early in my PC's bootup process it waits for a very
long pause and shows the message:

"Verifying DMI pool data..."

How can I get the PC to skip over this and not take so long?

have got XP if that is a factor.

Old April 18th 04, 05:32 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:54:34 GMT As truth resonates honesty
CrackerJack wrote :

At some point early in my PC's bootup process it waits for a very
long pause and shows the message:

"Verifying DMI pool data..."

How can I get the PC to skip over this and not take so long?

have got XP if that is a factor.

You most likely have a piece of faulty hardware.Strip system to
keyboard/mouse and graphics card and the main system hard drives.If
the system boots normally then add back each device until the error
occurs.Also try different PCI slots for your devices.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old April 19th 04, 12:04 AM
Tim

Hi,

When the "Verifying..." message comes up, the bios looks for a boot device.
If it takes a long time here then it can be because of cables or settings
for any of Floppy, CD, HDD's - or any other type of boot device you may
have. So, check each one in turn. When your PC is running, make sure your
floppy and CD drives are working properly. If they are not then this may be
the cause (if they are set as boot devices). Ensure all cables are oriented
the correct way, that master drives are plugged in the End of the cable,
that the floppy cable & power is correct - this is easy to get wrong. Also
check your bios to see what boot devices are set.

- Tim

Old April 19th 04, 02:56 AM
half_pint

Hey thats interesting, although I should know better, because I have
read about that I appear to have my master drive in the middle
and my slave at the end (although the drives work fine like that,
but I have had some freezes amd mysterious reboots posted here
(alt.comp.hardware)).
Rather embaressingly I had my cdroms set up in the same fashion but
I 'cured' that (they still don't both always work though!!).

I am slighly reluctant to set them up correctly now incase they stop
working!! But I guess I should give it a 'go'.

Maybe it will cure my problems, who knows? I just hope fiddling around
doesn't make it worse!

The thing is when it boots it lists the master and slave correctly so I have
always taken it for granted that things were OK.

Old April 19th 04, 04:11 AM
Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr.

Half et al:
Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
DC)!
I have never had a problem with non-cable select cables and putting drives
in either position on an IDE cable. Cable select cables have a cut in one
of the traces to determine whether the drive is master or slave. The far one
is then master when set on CS and the middle one is slave. Check all of your
cables and drives for proper selection of master and slave.
My guess is that it is looking for a boot drive that it is not seeing. I.E.
my system has a serial ATA connector. If the jumper is set for SATA and
there is no drive, boot up can take a while to go to the IDE drive. Many
more details would help us out. What motherboard, what drives and are you
familiar with setting up the boot order in the BIOS.
Peace,
Paul