"Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

Old March 17th 08, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
then I am getting:
~
"Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
~
Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
~
check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
~
make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
~
run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
knoppix)
~
The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
~
So what on earth is going on?
~
How can I solve this problem?
~
Thanks
lbrtchx
Old March 17th 08, 06:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

wrote in message
I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP

snip

You do not need to install Windows 98 to do the upgrade to Windows XP.
Just boot from the Windows XP install CD. When it says that it cannot
find a prior eligible version of Windows from which to upgrade, insert
the install CD for Windows 98 and point there to continue the upgrade
install of Windows XP.

NOTE: lbrtchx attempted to disconnect all discussions by redirecting
any replies via FollowUp-To to just the microsoft.public.win98.setup.
If the other newsgroups are inappropriate for seeing replies then
those newsgroups were also inappropriate for you to post there! As a
result, I ignored the attempt to use FollowUp-To to disconnect the
discussion from the other newsgroups (my response was already sent to
the followup newsgroup and was not included in this redo of my prior
reply). Do not cross-post to newsgroups and then use the FollowUp-To
header to disconnect those discussions. You may have selected one
newsgroups as your favorite home newsgroup but that doesn't mean the
respondents want to visit there. FollowUp-To is used by spammers and
malcontents.

Old March 17th 08, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Eric Gisin

Most likely your partition table or boot sector is incorrect.
Delete any partitions, boot the XP CD to partition and format.

Old March 17th 08, 10:47 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

"John Holmes" wrote in message
. nl...

Arno Wagner "contributed":

wrote:

I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to
XP
on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase,
but
then I am getting:

"Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order
to:
check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
knoppix)

Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.

That's what I told the OP 3 hours ago.

Hmm, not really. You said, "This error is about the disk (CD) from
which you're trying to perform the
installation." Only the CD, not a floppy diskette, is what you
mentioned. Besides, having multiple similar answers leads credence to
all of them because multiple users voted on the same cause or
solution.

Also, the OP was trying to install Windows 98 *first* (which both of
us noted is not required to install the Windows XP upgrade). The
install CD for Windows 98 is not bootable so a floppy is required to
start the setup program (if you aren't running setup.exe from a prior
install of Windows). The OP never mentioned having a prior install of
Windows under which to run the setup.exe for Windows 98.

--

snip - worthless random signature
snip - 24 blank lines - geesh

Old March 18th 08, 12:40 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
nobody >[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Later OEM 98SE is often bootable