Loss of Sound-Recording Capability

Old September 19th 05, 04:39 PM
Andy

Default Loss of Sound-Recording Capability

To All Cognoscenti, Greetings!

The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG. As
a result (I suspect) the sound-recording capability has been lost. The
microphone produces feedback and normal sound through the speakers, but
using the Sound Recorder supplied with Windows XP Prof. or another sound
recording program fails to record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not
helped. Any ideas what might cause this?

Andy

Old September 19th 05, 04:43 PM
old jon

"Andy" wrote in message
To All Cognoscenti, Greetings!

The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG.
As a result (I suspect) the sound-recording capability has been lost. The
microphone produces feedback and normal sound through the speakers, but
using the Sound Recorder supplied with Windows XP Prof. or another sound
recording program fails to record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not
helped. Any ideas what might cause this?

Andy

Did you install Audio software from motherboard CD ?. or did XP find the
audio hardware ?.

Old September 19th 05, 05:46 PM
kony

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:39:09 GMT, "Andy"
wrote:

To All Cognoscenti, Greetings!

The motherboard of my computer has been changed to a K7S741MG/K7S741GXMG. As
a result (I suspect) the sound-recording capability has been lost. The
microphone produces feedback and normal sound through the speakers, but
using the Sound Recorder supplied with Windows XP Prof. or another sound
recording program fails to record sound. Reinstalling Windows has not
helped. Any ideas what might cause this?

Andy

You need to open Windows' mixer and select the mic as the
recording device.

Old September 19th 05, 06:31 PM
Grinder

Andy wrote:

Where is Windows' mixer?

You can usually get to it from speaker icon in the systray (next to the
clock on the taskbar.)
Old September 19th 05, 06:48 PM
kony

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:18:11 GMT, "Andy"
wrote:

Where is Windows' mixer?

I don't recall if it's kept the same name, but you might try
Typing "sndvol32" in the Start-Run box. You'll probalby
have to wade through a menu or two to find the recording
devices section. If your sound card loads it's own mixer,
or if window has put the speaker icon in the taskbar tray
then you can access it there instead as Grinder mentioned.
Old September 19th 05, 07:00 PM
Andy

The volume is set high for both playback and recording, and the mute box is
cleared. The mike works through the speakers, but still can't record sound.

Old September 20th 05, 03:56 AM
kony

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:00:04 GMT, "Andy"
wrote:

The volume is set high for both playback and recording, and the mute box is
cleared. The mike works through the speakers, but still can't record sound.

For recording you also need to select the recording "line".
There should be a checkbox in the mixer to select and
de-select the various device lines for recording.