Motherboard causing freezing

Old September 12th 05, 07:43 PM

Default Motherboard causing freezing

Hello:

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue that just came up with my Soyo
SY-6BA+100 motherboard. The system started locking up more and more
frequently in Windows. So I spent a day and removed/swapped out every
piece of hardware, even swapped the memory and processor with known
good spare ones. Then flashed to the latest BIOS and cleared the CMOS.
I then put in a fresh hard drive and tried installing Windows XP with
only the processor and memory installed (and a known good spare AGP
video card). However this still did not work. The general problems

- Freezing in Windows 2000 or XP
- Various reading errors for any CD-ROMs connected to the primary IDE
controller

When I reduce the clock speed on the system bus to 100 MHz instead of
133 MHz, the system appears to run stable with no problems. But if I
put it back to 133 MHz I get the weird behavior mentioned above.

Can anybody tell me what could possibly be wrong? This problem came up
without any changes to the system. But I was curious if it would be as
simple as cleaning the contacts, or does it sound like the motherboard
is bad??

Thanks much for all feedback!
--
Chris

Old September 13th 05, 04:17 AM
ToolPackinMama

Can anybody tell me what could possibly be wrong?

Cheap RAM?
Old September 13th 05, 04:18 AM
ToolPackinMama

Can anybody tell me what could possibly be wrong?

Cheap power supply?
Old September 16th 05, 05:56 PM
szilagyic

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried two sets of RAM and two separate
power supplies, but still no luck.

Thanks...
--
Chris

Old September 17th 05, 11:11 PM
szilagyic

I did as you suggested and ran memtest86 3.2 on the box for 11 hours.
During that time it was able to make 6 passes, with no errors. Hmm.
Also I did swap the memory out with some spare memory and it didn't
seem to make any difference.

Old September 17th 05, 11:20 PM
szilagyic

I'm currently using the latest Microsoft released drivers for the
regular IDE controller (Intel 82371AB/EB). I'm also using the latest
drivers for the other integrated IDE controller (Highpoint HPT-370).

One strange thing that I later found out, is that the system locks up
almost immediately in Windows when I am using the PS/2 mouse. When
unplugging the PS/2 mouse and using the keyboard (or using PCAnywhere)
the system runs for over an hour with no problems.

So far I'm stumped. If anybody else has any ideas, I'd love to hear
them!!! Thanks....

Old September 17th 05, 11:32 PM
JAD

"szilagyic" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm currently using the latest Microsoft released drivers for the
regular IDE controller (Intel 82371AB/EB). I'm also using the latest
drivers for the other integrated IDE controller (Highpoint HPT-370).

I would revert back to the IDE drivers that came with the MB. MS is never a
good source for drivers.

Old September 18th 05, 04:46 AM
kony

On 17 Sep 2005 15:20:43 -0700, "szilagyic"
wrote:

I'm currently using the latest Microsoft released drivers for the
regular IDE controller (Intel 82371AB/EB). I'm also using the latest
drivers for the other integrated IDE controller (Highpoint HPT-370).

One strange thing that I later found out, is that the system locks up
almost immediately in Windows when I am using the PS/2 mouse. When
unplugging the PS/2 mouse and using the keyboard (or using PCAnywhere)
the system runs for over an hour with no problems.

So far I'm stumped. If anybody else has any ideas, I'd love to hear
them!!! Thanks....

Your SY-6BA+100 motherboard uses intel 440BX chipset.
Ignore any website that claims it supports 133MHz FSB, as it
does NOT! 133MHz FSB is overclocking it, and there's where
you get the instability. Back in that era, many were able
to successfully overclock their BX boards, and some even had
bios features to aid in doing it, but even so, Intel
themselves did not spec it as able to do 133MHz FSB because
it did not do so in all cases.

If you "need" 133MHz FSB, I suggest a newer motherboard,
Intel 815 (if you can accept it's 512MB max memory
limitation) or Via 694X or Via 694T based.