Ghost Speed Issue

Old February 2nd 06, 02:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Ghost Speed Issue

Hi. I'm having a problem using Symantec Ghost
7.0 to dump a partition from a laptop for backup
purposes. I'm using a tower to recieve the image,
which is about six Gigabytes, and is a slower
computer (~150 MHz) that I've designated to use
as a "ghost horse".

I'm ghosting using multicasting and a DOS
ghost boot disk -- I do NOT want Ghost client
installed on the laptop.

The ghost dump process works fine, technically,
but I'm getting speeds of two Megabytes / minute,
which means the ghost session takes about 16
hours. Needless to say, this isn't the performance
I was hoping for.

The network is really simple -- one LinkSys
10/100 switch, one tower, one laptop and one
cable modem. Everything checks out for other
purposes, and I *have* tried replacing all the
cables. The network card in the laptop is an
integrated 3Com 3C905C-TX compatable, id'd by
Windows as a 3C920 -- I've heard ghost has
problems with these?

The tower's network card is OLD -- it is a
D-Link DE-528, but it works for everything
else. I'm thinking this is the bottleneck,
but I wanted to ask people more knowledgable
than I before I replace it. It shouldn't
matter, though, since on this recieving system
I use Win2K, Ghost Multicast Server and
_Windows_' network drivers, not Ghost's.

Can anyone shed some light on my dilemma?
Old February 4th 06, 12:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Sardonic wrote in news:Xns975E485E56AF8nospamcom@
24.70.95.211:

D-Link DE-528

Well it IS just a 10Mbs NIC, close to 10 years old.