Another Dimension 8100 Question - USB

Old April 1st 04, 11:36 AM
Dr. Indera

Default Another Dimension 8100 Question - USB

thank you tom,

i will look into this immediately.

indera

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Yes,

I have the Buslink USB 2 Cardbus (PCCard) in my Inspiron 2100. The only
'challenge' is that to drive an external hard drive, the pccard has to

have
power from an external brick (included) EVEN IF the hard drive is powered.
Annoying, but not a huge problem.

Tom
"Dr. Indera" wrote in message
. net...
hi hank,

can this be done on a laptop? i have an inspiron 8000 and the usb port

is
1.1 and i have trouble using my usb external hard drive.

thanks
indera

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
. net...
Absolutely. I have an 8100 that has 1.1 USB ports. I added a USB 2.0

card
and am currently running an external hard drive for backups that uses

USB
2.0

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Nivek" wrote in message
I'm thinking about upgrading my USB ports from 1.1 to 2.0. Can the

two
flavors of USB can coexist peacefully or will I need to disable USB

1.1?
If
I do need to disable 1.1 is that easily done in the BIOS?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Old April 1st 04, 11:36 AM
Dr. Indera

thank you thomas.

i will look into this also.

indera

"Thomas M. Goethe" wrote in message
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Yes,

I have the Buslink USB 2 Cardbus (PCCard) in my Inspiron 2100. The only
'challenge' is that to drive an external hard drive, the pccard has to

have
power from an external brick (included) EVEN IF the hard drive is

powered.
Annoying, but not a huge problem.

Tom

I'm using the SIIG USB 2.0 CardBus Dual PC Card with my I8200 and
fortunately, it does not need to have the brick plugged in for my Iomege
drive to work. I have not tried it with a bus powered card. It does have a
power supply, though, so I guess some things will require it.

--
Thomas M. Goethe

Old April 1st 04, 11:36 AM
Dr. Indera

hank,

i was finally able to get through to western digital. they said that i
should update the bios and something else that i can't remember right now. i
did that, but it didn't work.
i called them back, then they walked me through some other steps and it
worked.
now i haven't used it since then, which was a few days ago.
i'm hoping that it works. if not, i will look into the suggestions that were
posted here.
at least i know i have an alternative.

indera

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
. net...
Not a clue. My guess is that it should work, but I've never tried it....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold