Stopping Reading of I/O Devices on WinXP-SP1 System

Old April 21st 11, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

Default Stopping Reading of I/O Devices on WinXP-SP1 System

On Apr 20, 6:41*am, Win User wrote:

But we have users who need to get the data they acquired from the advanced
instruments.

How much data?

What if you had a secure pc running 64bit Windows 7 with anti-virus
sitting next to the XP SP1 pc. If you connected the two with a network
cable I wonder if you could use file sharing and remain secure? The XP
SP1 pc would have no other access ports.
Old April 22nd 11, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:40:50 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

On Apr 20, 6:41*am, Win User wrote:

But we have users who need to get the data they acquired from the advanced
instruments.

How much data?

What if you had a secure pc running 64bit Windows 7 with anti-virus
sitting next to the XP SP1 pc. If you connected the two with a network
cable I wonder if you could use file sharing and remain secure? The XP
SP1 pc would have no other access ports.

It wouldn't even need to be 64 bit.
Old April 22nd 11, 01:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Win User

Davej wrote in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

On Apr 20, 6:41*am, Win User wrote:

But we have users who need to get the data they acquired from the advance

instruments.

How much data?

What if you had a secure pc running 64bit Windows 7 with anti-virus
sitting next to the XP SP1 pc. If you connected the two with a network
cable I wonder if you could use file sharing and remain secure? The XP
SP1 pc would have no other access ports.

This is consistent with my description in the next to the last paragraph that
a "buffer" or "intermediate" computer should be set up in a network with
these instrument computers, and that the instrument hosts be able to write
the data files to the buffer host, and that the users connect to the buffer
host with read-only access to retrieve the data files.

Old April 22nd 11, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

On Apr 21, 5:51*pm, Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Davej wrote:
On Apr 20, 6:41 am, Win User wrote:

But we have users who need to get the data they acquired from the
advanced instruments.

How much data?

What if you had a secure pc running 64bit Windows 7 with anti-virus
sitting next to the XP SP1 pc. If you connected the two with a network
cable I wonder if you could use file sharing and remain secure? The XP
SP1 pc would have no other access ports.

It wouldn't even need to be 64 bit.

No not really but I think I've read that the 64-bit version has extra
security features. For example the 64-bit version absolutely refuses
to run unsigned drivers.

I also stumbled across this as a possible stopgap measure you might
try...

http://elechub.com/always-disable-us...us-protection/