IDE RAID- Major problem need to save my data

Old November 28th 04, 03:07 AM
MC

Default IDE RAID- Major problem need to save my data

I had a motherboard with a built in IDE RAID Promise chipset. I used
two drives for RAID 0 (now I know this was a bad idea). To make a
long story short, the system board is shot and I can't get another
with the same RAID chipset. Even if I throw the computer out, I really
need to save my data. My questions a

1) If I get another system with a PCI RAID card or IDE RAID chipset on
the motherboard that is not Promise RAID chipset, will my existing
drives work without reformating? (i.e. I can get my data off. I don't
need to boot or anything else).

2) If I just get a new computer (or borrow someones) with normal IDE,
can I plug in my 2 drives as the the 2nd and 3rd drive and use
software RAID (like in Win2000) to get at my data?

Thanks
Old November 28th 04, 03:43 AM
CJT

MC wrote:
I had a motherboard with a built in IDE RAID Promise chipset. I used
two drives for RAID 0 (now I know this was a bad idea). To make a
long story short, the system board is shot and I can't get another
with the same RAID chipset. Even if I throw the computer out, I really
need to save my data. My questions a

1) If I get another system with a PCI RAID card or IDE RAID chipset on
the motherboard that is not Promise RAID chipset, will my existing
drives work without reformating? (i.e. I can get my data off. I don't
need to boot or anything else).

2) If I just get a new computer (or borrow someones) with normal IDE,
can I plug in my 2 drives as the the 2nd and 3rd drive and use
software RAID (like in Win2000) to get at my data?

Thanks

I think your best bet is to find an add-in card with the same Promise
chipset.

Old November 28th 04, 11:02 AM
kony

On 27 Nov 2004 18:07:27 -0800, (MC)
wrote:

I had a motherboard with a built in IDE RAID Promise chipset. I used
two drives for RAID 0 (now I know this was a bad idea). To make a
long story short, the system board is shot and I can't get another
with the same RAID chipset.

What does "shot" mean?
Some common failings like failed capacitors or inoperative
bios can be relatively inexpensively fixed, if you don't
have the inclination to do so yourself... especially if you
only need the board operable long enough to copy off data.

Even if I throw the computer out, I really
need to save my data. My questions a

1) If I get another system with a PCI RAID card or IDE RAID chipset on
the motherboard that is not Promise RAID chipset, will my existing
drives work without reformating? (i.e. I can get my data off. I don't
need to boot or anything else).

No, the odds are bad, typically it won't work... but you
might find a promise card with same chipset. Often
motherboards use what they call a "Promise Lite" bios but
it's the same full-featured RAID chip you'd find on a card
(one having same Promise ATA(nnn) chip on it of course.

2) If I just get a new computer (or borrow someones) with normal IDE,
can I plug in my 2 drives as the the 2nd and 3rd drive and use
software RAID (like in Win2000) to get at my data?

No, you definitely can't get that data that way.

What motherboard was it? Is the rest of the system operable
still, for example you have a working CPU and memory
available?
Old November 28th 04, 12:56 PM
Kadaitcha Man

kony wrote:

On 27 Nov 2004 18:07:27 -0800, (MC)
wrote:

the system board is shot and I can't get another
with the same RAID chipset.

What does "shot" mean?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old November 28th 04, 02:47 PM
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage MC wrote:
I had a motherboard with a built in IDE RAID Promise chipset. I used
two drives for RAID 0 (now I know this was a bad idea). To make a
long story short, the system board is shot and I can't get another
with the same RAID chipset. Even if I throw the computer out, I really
need to save my data. My questions a

1) If I get another system with a PCI RAID card or IDE RAID chipset on
the motherboard that is not Promise RAID chipset, will my existing
drives work without reformating? (i.e. I can get my data off. I don't
need to boot or anything else).

Forget it.

2) If I just get a new computer (or borrow someones) with normal IDE,
can I plug in my 2 drives as the the 2nd and 3rd drive and use
software RAID (like in Win2000) to get at my data?

NO. RAID from different manufacturers are usually (and I think
intentionally) incompatible. It is not the data arrangement on the
disk, but the descriptor block that stores meta information.

Incidentially that is one of the strong arguments for software-RAID,
since you can access it with entirely different hardware as long
as the software can still be installed.

Best option: Ask Promise tech support which of their products can
read your disks and then get that.

Arno

Old November 30th 04, 09:41 PM
Curious George

Now do you see what I've been talkin' bout "Kony?"

or do you still think all raid implementations are equally useful &
time-saving?

I just hope that if he gets a 'new' motherboard (like from ebay or
sometihing) the onboard controller can get the config off the drives..
Old November 30th 04, 10:29 PM
kony

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:41:05 GMT, Curious George
wrote:

Now do you see what I've been talkin' bout "Kony?"

You don't seem to see what I've been talking about. I
didn't suggest RAID0 here EITHER.

or do you still think all raid implementations are equally useful &
time-saving?

I never advocate RAID0 unless user has a viable additional
backup. Generally speaking I typically recommend against
RAID 0 even when it's the expressed goal of the poster.
There ARE other alternatives than just SCSI or RAID0 ATA,
but you ignored this in a prior thread because it didn't
suit your argument.

I just hope that if he gets a 'new' motherboard (like from ebay or
sometihing) the onboard controller can get the config off the drives..

"Hope"? This is an example of what I'd posted in a prior
thread, that I advise one not to learn _while_ setting up a
data storage subsystem but prior to doing so.
I also suspect you've not spend enough time dealing with ATA
RAID to be able to properly contrast it to any other...

There's no need to hope, if the drives are physically and
logically intact (that is - if the motherboard was the
*only* failure point, no damage to drives) then same
controller with same/similar bios will work. Towards that
end, if the motherboard RAID bios version is unknown it
might be easier to use a PCI card to recover, since flashing
a different bios is likely far easier than determining the
RAID bios version used on the old board (if manufacturer
didn't provide full documentation, though decompressing the
motherboard bios version is an alternate method of
determining this), in the off chance that the default bios
on such a PCI card wouldn't work... though it probably will.
There are also bios tools like CBROM or awardmod
http://awardmod.sourceforge.net/
that can even be used to extract the raid bios from the
original motherboard's bios, and swap it into a new board's
bios to ensure same raid bios version.
Old November 30th 04, 11:51 PM
Kadaitcha Man

kony wrote:

"Hope"? This is an example of what I'd posted in a prior
thread, that I advise one not to learn _while_ setting up a
data storage subsystem but prior to doing so.

That's where you made your mistake. Most normal people learn from
experience. Not everyone has a pin-head that needs to be buried in a book
for a long swot just in case they **** up. Maybe if your parents had
molly-coddled you a little less.

Old December 1st 04, 12:03 AM
CJT

wrote:

[...]

Are you sure no motherboard RAID stores configuration info
on the motherboard?

Old December 1st 04, 12:13 AM
Curious George

wrote:

Now do you see what I've been talkin' bout "Kony?"

You don't seem to see what I've been talking about. I
didn't suggest RAID0 here EITHER.

Sigh

of course you didn't endorse the config he was already using. It died
before anybody got the chance to dissuade him.

or do you still think all raid implementations are equally useful &
time-saving?

I never advocate RAID0 unless user has a viable additional
backup. Generally speaking I typically recommend against
RAID 0 even when it's the expressed goal of the poster.

Of course. anybody would

There ARE other alternatives than just SCSI or RAID0 ATA,
but you ignored this in a prior thread because it didn't
suit your argument.

That doesn't even make sense. I assume you are referring to a more
recent case of you demonstrating no concept of consistency of logic,
argument, or discussion. If only you would maintain focus on the
points actually made in a thread as well as you fixate on your own
inventions.

I just hope that if he gets a 'new' motherboard (like from ebay or
sometihing) the onboard controller can get the config off the drives..

"Hope"?

Different controllers and raid software store the configuration in
different places (not always on drives or recovered from the drives)
and use it differently for recovery purposes. I "hope" that "this"
mobo can reconstruct the controller config from the drives and there
is good flexibility for swap out with similar or identical HW. Yes
this all seems doable but it is not clear to me how much of a PITA the
whole thing is going to be (including locating the 'right' HW).

This is an example of what I'd posted in a prior
thread, that I advise one not to learn _while_ setting up a
data storage subsystem but prior to doing so.

Well of course, but how much can a novice really learn from manuals.
They learn what's important from doing (& from getting burnt).

I also suspect you've not spend enough time dealing with ATA
RAID to be able to properly contrast it to any other...

Not really making an ata raid comment per se. Only highlighting that
not all RAID HW & implemetations are equal (from a useability,
convenience, etc. standpoint) and sometime you can encounter a real
PITA for any number or reasons - including not being able to get an
identical board, compatibility with other readily available boards,
etc. Of course some product lines try harder to insulate you from
troubles - but that's not really the point I'm making.

There's no need to hope, if the drives are physically and
logically intact (that is - if the motherboard was the
*only* failure point, no damage to drives) then same
controller with same/similar bios will work. Towards that
end, if the motherboard RAID bios version is unknown it
might be easier to use a PCI card to recover,

so all Promise cards & onboard chips are totally compatible? config,
CHS translation, LBA, driver always identical?
(really asking here)

since flashing
a different bios is likely far easier than determining the
RAID bios version used on the old board

Huh? you're going to flash some PCI card with what? for what
purpose? How many variables are you going to change during the
recovery process? Normally all software levels have to match to work
properly (esp/incl driver). The more complicated you make this the
more likely you're going to muck things up - including messing up the
new raid card.

Maybe he should image the drives or backup certain sectors before
trying any suggestions esp w' experimenting w' different mobos or
cards?

(if manufacturer
didn't provide full documentation, though decompressing the
motherboard bios version is an alternate method of
determining this),

That would truly be magic as the mobo is toast & he can't locate
another. (This is where those multi-year warranties come in handy).

You mean from the image file DL'ed from the manufacturer? How does
that help if he doesn't know 'which' BIOS level he was using on the
original board?

in the off chance that the default bios
on such a PCI card wouldn't work... though it probably will.
There are also bios tools like CBROM or awardmod
http://awardmod.sourceforge.net/
that can even be used to extract the raid bios from the
original motherboard's bios, and swap it into a new board's
bios to ensure same raid bios version.

but the mobo is toast...