How do I connect 3 Dell 1901FP monitors via DVI ?

Old June 20th 04, 04:49 AM
Tapas Das

Default How do I connect 3 Dell 1901FP monitors via DVI ?

I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution of
1280x1024 pixels.

1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
Dimension 4600 computer.

2. I want to have an extended desktop in WinXP Home that spans 3 monitors to
display 3840x1024 pixels at 60Hz.

3. I want to be able to view an Excel spreadsheet spanning all three
monitors.

Please tell me what I need.

The Dell 4600 Pentium 4 2.8GHz desktop has 1GB of RAM and came with an
nVidia 128MB GeForce FX5200 AGP graphics card that has a DVI out and a VGA
out.

I have 1 PCI slot free.

So far, I have been able to connect the first monitor via DVI and the second
monitor via VGA on the nVidia AGP card. I can extend my windows desktop fine
across 2 monitors.

What about the third monitor?

Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?

Best regards,

Tapas

Old June 20th 04, 05:03 AM
Rocket J. Squirrel

You would need a video card that has three DVI outputs, whose driver
supports three monitors. I don't believe such a card or driver exists in the
consumer market, but perhaps another poster will know of one.

Rocky

Old June 20th 04, 02:31 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

"Tapas Das" wrote in message
| I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution of
| 1280x1024 pixels.
|
| 1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
| Dimension 4600 computer.
|

| What about the third monitor?
|
| Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?
|
| Best regards,
|
| Tapas

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mms/versions.cfm

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old June 29th 04, 12:22 AM
plated metal

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
"Tapas Das" wrote in message
| I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution of
| 1280x1024 pixels.
|
| 1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
| Dimension 4600 computer.
|

| What about the third monitor?
|
| Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?
|
| Best regards,
|
| Tapas

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mms/versions.cfm

or http://www.appian.com

also, check out http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/products.asp

there're quite a few solutions to your problem.
Old July 4th 04, 04:21 AM
Tapas Das

"plated metal" wrote in message
HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
"Tapas Das" wrote in message
| I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution

of
| 1280x1024 pixels.
|
| 1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
| Dimension 4600 computer.
|

| What about the third monitor?
|
| Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?
|
| Best regards,
|
| Tapas

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mms/versions.cfm

or http://www.appian.com

also, check out http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/products.asp

there're quite a few solutions to your problem.

Thanks a million for those links. I was able to connect 4 Dell Ultrasharp
1901FP monitors to my Dell Dimension 4600 computer using an additional
Chaintech P-FX20 PCI graphics card based on the Nvidia GeForce FX5200
chipset.
The card cost me $70.

I have posted a picture of my setup he

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon...wse.asp?ID=507

Two monitors are connected to the AGP Nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card.
The other two are connected to the new PCI graphics card.

All 4 are running at 1280 x 1024, with 32 bits, 60Hz. The two monitors on
VGA needed a slight manual adjustment from the front panel for sharpest
text. This involves going into the On Screen Display, clicking on Image
Settings and then fine tuning these two parameters:

Pixel Clock
Phase

The Auto Adjust did not give the best results. There was a unique
combination of this Pixel Clock and Phase values where the text became
perfectly razor sharp and uniform across the entire panel.

For the 2 monitors on DVI, this was not an issue. Text was razor sharp from
the get go.

I found 2 utilities that are very useful with Multi-Monitor setups:

UltraMon
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

TrueLaunchBar
http://www.truelaunchbar.com/