Top-end graphics card exist or just vapourware?

Old January 10th 05, 12:27 PM

Default Top-end graphics card exist or just vapourware?

Both ATI (e.g. X800XT PE) and nVidia's (e.g. 6800 Ultra Extreme) top end
cards seem to have been produced in such small quantities that they are
unobtainable at any price. New top cards are being announced but will we
ever be able to buy them? They seem to be targeting the mid/low-range and
the high-end stuff is just show-off talk, about as meaningful as political
speeches.

Old January 10th 05, 04:16 PM
Hawkeye

Seems that retailers are getting very little stock. I had Newegg.com
auto notify me by email when the one I wanted became availible.
While I was messing with my email all of asudden i got the
notification. I jumped right on it and placed the order and within 5
min of doing so it went back to auto notify meaning stock was gone.

--
ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
ATI RADEON X800XT PE
Old January 10th 05, 05:08 PM
Gareee©

"Hawkeye" wrote in message

Seems that retailers are getting very little stock.

I think the real issue with everyoje is the high prices. When you can buy an
ENTIRE PC, with a monitor, printer, dvd burner, and installed software for
the same price as *just* a graphics cards, there's obviously a problem
somewhere.

And when I can buy a PS2, an X-Box, AND a GameCube for less then the price
of just a graphic card, the problem becomes more apparent.

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Old January 10th 05, 05:43 PM
STE ;¬!

Gareee© wrote:
"Hawkeye" wrote in message

Seems that retailers are getting very little stock.

I think the real issue with everyoje is the high prices. When you can buy
an
ENTIRE PC, with a monitor, printer, dvd burner, and installed software for
the same price as *just* a graphics cards, there's obviously a problem
somewhere.

I don't think this is a problem.
The manufacturers know they can sell the top cards at premium prices, and a
certain section of society are willing to pay top dollar for them, and will
be happy campers.
I have bought a couple of £300 cards in my time, and I'm glad I did, they
have served me well (it also helps I am a graphics whore).

But now even if you have £300-400 you can't buy the bloody things.
This is presumably because they pushed the technology too much and cannot
get the yield quantity on the silicon, and for what? So they could win the
benchmark wars in the online press. So they create demand for a product they
cannot meet.

And when I can buy a PS2, an X-Box, AND a GameCube for less then the price
of just a graphic card, the problem becomes more apparent.

This just means you have no excuse not to own all three consoles!! :-)

--
STE ;¬!

Old January 10th 05, 06:49 PM
Hawkeye

I think the real issue with everyoje is the high prices. When you can buy an
ENTIRE PC, with a monitor, printer, dvd burner, and installed software for
the same price as *just* a graphics cards, there's obviously a problem
somewhere.

Any user with half a brain that is into gaming isnt looking for the
above described deals because you are speaking of a PC that is good
for nothing but surfing the web and playing checkers at that price.

And when I can buy a PS2, an X-Box, AND a GameCube for less then the price
of just a graphic card, the problem becomes more apparent.

I stopped buying gaming consoles years ago. PC gaming is where its
at if your serious about it.

I have the ability to pay top dollar for what I desire and dont worry
about what others might be doing or thinking.

Old January 10th 05, 08:15 PM
Matt

"Hawkeye" wrote in message

I stopped buying gaming consoles years ago. PC gaming is where its
at if your serious about it.

I have the ability to pay top dollar for what I desire and dont worry
about what others might be doing or thinking.

Not to change the subject or anything... but let me ask you this... I
currently have a A8V and a Athlon 64 3500 with an older 9500Pro. Should I
go for the FX55 or a X800XT PE? Are you happy with the 55's performance?

Old January 10th 05, 08:20 PM
Ben Pope

Matt wrote:
Not to change the subject or anything... but let me ask you this... I
currently have a A8V and a Athlon 64 3500 with an older 9500Pro. Should I
go for the FX55 or a X800XT PE? Are you happy with the
55's performance?

Do you want to crunch numbers or play games?

If you play games, you should upgrade the Graphics card.

I would say that your card is the bare minimum now (probably not even enough
for some games), whereas your CPU will last at least a year.

Ben

Old January 10th 05, 08:32 PM
Matt

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Matt wrote:
Not to change the subject or anything... but let me ask you this... I
currently have a A8V and a Athlon 64 3500 with an older 9500Pro. Should I
go for the FX55 or a X800XT PE? Are you happy with the
55's performance?

Do you want to crunch numbers or play games?

If you play games, you should upgrade the Graphics card.

I would say that your card is the bare minimum now (probably not even
enough for some games), whereas your CPU will last at least a year.

Well I'm playing FarCry at max settings with no problems... and I also use
the computer for a lot of Photoshop and Video work. I'm personally thinking
that other than a select few games that the card my hold me until the end of
the year but I could benefit from the processor upgrade... but I'll probably
win either way

Old January 10th 05, 09:00 PM
Hawkeye

Not to change the subject or anything... but let me ask you this... I
currently have a A8V and a Athlon 64 3500 with an older 9500Pro. Should I
go for the FX55 or a X800XT PE? Are you happy with the 55's performance?

I ran a 3500 in the system for a month or so and it did great. Here
are some benchmarks I ran with the 3500 and then after i swappped it
out for the 55. I was happy with the 3500 and 800XT combo but it was
going into another system once I got the 55. But of course I love the
55.

All stock runs

3500

Aquamark 66,239