ati 9000 AIW sound problems during recording

Old February 9th 04, 03:07 AM
kirk

Default ati 9000 AIW sound problems during recording

when recording TV broadcasts, and then playing back, the sound goes up and
down. was wondering if this is an issue with this video card, or possibly my
setup.

computer is

msi kt6 FISR /w AMD 2500 Barton core cpu
using on board 5.1 sound card
1 gig muskin CL2 memory
(2) Hitachi 120 gig SATA hard drives ( not raid setup )
Plextor CDR
Sony DVD+-DVDRW

was considering replacing sound card with SoundBlaster Audiology 2 Platnium
if it would fix sound problem.

thanks for any help with this

Old February 9th 04, 11:01 AM
John Schuler

kirk wrote:

when recording TV broadcasts, and then playing back, the sound goes up and
down. was wondering if this is an issue with this video card, or possibly my
setup.

I experience the same thing (also using 5.1 onboard sound). The problem seems to
occurr in the record phase; I recored MPEG files and played them back with 2
other non-ATI programs and the problem is still there (I also recorded MPEG
files using a non-ATI capture method, and they were fine).

Old February 10th 04, 02:23 AM
KRF

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 03:07:24 +0000, kirk wrote:

when recording TV broadcasts, and then playing back, the sound goes up
and down. was wondering if this is an issue with this video card, or
possibly my setup.

Part of the problem with this card is with the ***damned Macrovision crap
that is stuck in the drivers. We knew that it was causing problems with
the video sync but never occured to us that it was causing the sound
variations also. (Sometimes there is a digital MV signal riding on top of
the audio, but that shouldn't have been a problem in what we are doing.)

When we finally got an MV killed driver (Linux), the video sensitivity
problem went away - what surprised us was that the audio variations went
away also. Still haven't figured that out, but I am happy anyway.

Now if we could get a comparable WinXP driver, things would be great.

KRF

Old February 10th 04, 08:10 AM
John Schuler

Are you saying that all programming from Time Warner cable (roadrunner) is
Macrovision encoded? I have this problem with the local news, PBS programs,
everything...

Old February 13th 04, 08:37 PM
KRF

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:10:54 +0000, John Schuler wrote:

Are you saying that all programming from Time Warner cable (roadrunner)
is Macrovision encoded? I have this problem with the local news, PBS
programs, everything...

I don't think so. But I have read where they have the ability to add
Macrovision to their video stream. Also that Hollywood wants the
Satellite companies to turn it on, but are being resisted since the
customers would blame Dish and DTV rather than the MV scumbags.

No, the problem is that on a less than perfect video signal (a la from a
VCR tape, etc) the ATI drivers will decide that they see a macrovision
signal and blow up the capture. We did a test where we fed an ATI AIW9000
card a perfect unmacrovisioned signal from a dvd player with a noise
injector attached to the input of the card in parallel. As we gradually
increased the noise factor the signal would degrade naturally to a certain
point then suddenly just croak as the anti-MV detection kicked in.

Answer - I sold the ATI card to a gamer and bought a professional capture
card that is macrovisionless. A buddy fixed his problem much more
cheaply by installing an old (I mean really old, like 1988 or so) VCR
between the playing VCR and the capture card as a pass through amplfier.
It apparently won't pass the MV signal and delivers a clean video at the
outputs. Worked with his DVD player also.

KRF

Old February 14th 04, 05:42 PM
kirk

What video capture card did you buy that wasn't affected by the Macrovision
encoding?

I have been so frustrated I have been considering buying Nvida cinama cards
from Evga to see
if they have the same problems. I really like my ati card otherwise, and the
software that
it ships with. i had a ATI AIW pro card prior to this, and didn't have this
problems, i upgraded
because the AIW pro only had 16 megs ram, and didn't have all the feattures
of the AIW 9000.

news

Old February 14th 04, 09:23 PM
John Schuler

KRF wrote:

[...]

I really don't think this is the problem. The video and audio are perfect when
viewing the realtime signal. The audio in this case has been processed (or
passed through) the video card and the sound card on it's way to the TV. The
problem occurrs when I record that same siganl.

Now I'm fairly sure it's not a Macrovision problem. I just finished recording
a satellite signal and playing it back. Same problem. I doubt that both Time
Warner and Dish Network are Macrovision encoding their signals.

I';ve waited a week for ATI to respond to my bug report (they allege 24-48
hour response time). I tried installing the drivers that came out Thursday; no
improvement...

Old February 15th 04, 10:37 PM
Valued User

I'm having the same problem with my 9600 AIW. Watching TV is fine. When
recording the volume goes up and down. I almost believe its a MacroVision
problem because the commercials are unaffected.

My crappy WinTV USB 1.0 doesn't have this problem. It's old and crappy but
it records fine w/o any volume problems.

-Valued

Old February 18th 04, 03:13 AM
Valued User

I tried to see if the problems are during shows or commercials. The volume
problem is during shows AND commercials but not all commercials. I also
recorded shows on 3 differnt channels yesterday and they all had the problem

Old February 18th 04, 11:29 PM
John Schuler

Valued User wrote:

I tried to see if the problems are during shows or commercials. The volume
problem is during shows AND commercials but not all commercials. I also
recorded shows on 3 differnt channels yesterday and they all had the problem

I THINK the problem is related to ATI automatice gain control (not AGC on the
sound card/chip).. Twice I thought I had solved the problem, but I had recorded
a video clip where the volume was quite steady (a PBS news broadcast, for
example). There were no problems until the segment changed, and the (louder)
music came on.

I'm STILL waiting for a response from ATI - I sent in the problem report a week
ago Monday...

KRF wrote:

[...]

Need help resolving O/B sound and NIC problems with P4P800SE Harley Asus Motherboards 3 August 18th 04 01:56 PM
sound problems Terence Homebuilt PC's 0 February 6th 04 12:54 AM
A7N8X Deluxe Sound Problems Deep Phee Asus Motherboards 2 December 28th 03 06:13 PM
Sound Problems w/ 9700 pro AIW tony Ati Videocards 0 August 20th 03 05:58 AM
Stuttering DVD playback with sound problems 9700 to blame? Usenetter Ati Videocards 7 June 27th 03 08:52 PM