P4C800-E Dlx my overclock settings P4 [email protected] 4.8GB/sec memory

Old December 15th 03, 01:09 AM
jack

Default P4C800-E Dlx my overclock settings P4 [email protected] 4.8GB/sec memory

For what it's worth and in case you're interested:

These overclocking settings are very stable on my machine. This is
primarily my flight sim computer, but I have also been playing Halo and
Unreal Tournament 2003. All run very well with no crashes and no
problems. My video card is an ATI 9800XT Pro.

I still have to learn whether or not I should change Performance Mode
Turbo, DRAM Idle Timer Auto, DRAM Refresh Auto, Spread Spectrum Enabled,
and ICH Delay Transaction Enabled. But, the rest of the settings are
pretty much finalized. It seems strange to me that ASUS does not give a
more through explanation of these and others in the manual.

14Dec03

Checksix over clocking settings and results.

ASUS PC Probe
CPU Temp: idle 40C/104F, under load 55C
MB Temp: idle 29C/84F
VCo 1.616

CPU-Z
(Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz, Stepping 9)
Processor Voltage: 1.616 volts
Core Speed: 3519.5 MHz
FSB: 220.0 MHz
Bus Speed: 879.9 MHz
Memory Timings:
Frequency: 176 MHz
FSBRAM 5:4
CAS Latency: 2.0 clocks
RAS to CAS Delay: 2 clocks
RAS Precharge: 2 clocks
Cycle Time: 5 clocks

Sandra Memory Band Width:
(1 GB, 2x512, Mushkin 3500 Level II)
Int 4815 MB/sec
Float 4812 MB/sec
Bandwidth Efficiency: 85%

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard BIOS (080009) Settings:

AI Over clock Tuner: Manual
CPU External Frequency: 220 MHz
DRAM Frequency: 320 MHz
AGP/PCI Freq (MHz): Auto
CPU Core Voltage: 1.60 volts
DDR Reference Voltage: 2.75 volts
AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.50 volts
Performance Mode: Turbo

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Disabled
DRAM CAS Latency: 2.0 clocks
DRAM RAS Precharge: 2 clocks
DRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 2 clocks
DRAM Precharge Delay: 5 clocks
DRAM Burts Length: 8 clocks
Performance Acceleration Mode: Enabled
DRAM Idle Timer: Auto
DRAM Refresh Rate: Auto
AGP Apertu 128 MB
Spread Spectrum: Enabled
ICH Delay Transaction: Enabled
WPS Revision: 1.4

Old December 15th 03, 01:17 PM
BoB

"jack" wrote in message
Frequency: 176 MHz
FSBRAM 5:4
CAS Latency: 2.0 clocks
RAS to CAS Delay: 2 clocks
RAS Precharge: 2 clocks
Cycle Time: 5 clocks
CPU External Frequency: 220 MHz
DRAM Frequency: 320 MHz
DDR Reference Voltage: 2.75 volts
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Disabled
DRAM CAS Latency: 2.0 clocks
DRAM RAS Precharge: 2 clocks
DRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 2 clocks
DRAM Precharge Delay: 5 clocks
DRAM Burts Length: 8 clocks

Won't that memory run 1:1 locked with cpu at fsb?

Old December 16th 03, 02:04 AM
jack

I really thought it would run at 1:1, but it definitely will not. That
is, it won't at FSB 220 MHz. It will at FSB 200 MHz.

I had to make a choise. I could run the processor at 3.2 GHz and the
memory at 200 MHz, or I could run the processor at 3.52 GHz and the
memory at 176 MHz with the 5:4 ratio. Running the memory at 200 MHz gave
me a Sandra benchmarked data rate of 5.5 GHz/sec as opposed to the 4.8
GHz/second that I'm getting with the processor running at 3.2 GHz. I
still am wondering if I made the best choise. What would you do?

Old December 16th 03, 02:59 AM
BoB

I would use another benchmark, trying to keep the memory/cpu locked
1:1, running the cpu faster doesn't help if you have latency problems
killing performance.
I do a lot of dvd ripping/reencoding, whatever is fastest is what I would go
with!

Old December 16th 03, 03:18 AM
jack

"jack" wrote in message

I had to make a choise. I could run the processor at 3.2 GHz and the
memory at 200 MHz, or I could run the processor at 3.52 GHz and the
memory at 176 MHz with the 5:4 ratio. Running the memory at 200 MHz gave
me a Sandra benchmarked data rate of 5.5 GHz/sec as opposed to the 4.8
GHz/second that I'm getting with the processor running at 3.2 GHz.

In my previous post, the last 3.2 GHz should read 3.52 GHz. That is,
with the processor running at 3.52 GHz the memory runs at 176 MHz and
gives me a memory bandwidth of 4.8 GHz/seccond.

Old December 16th 03, 04:24 AM
jack

BoB wrote:
I would use another benchmark, trying to keep the memory/cpu locked
1:1, running the cpu faster doesn't help if you have latency problems
killing performance.
I do a lot of dvd ripping/reencoding, whatever is fastest is what I would go
with!

So, Bob, what I understand you saying is that you would run the
processor as fast as possible while still maintaining a 1:1 FSB:RAM
ratio. In my case, this would be a FSB of 210 MHz with memory timings of
2:2:2:6.

Thanks for your input.

Old December 16th 03, 10:17 AM
BoB

"jack" wrote in message
BoB wrote:
I would use another benchmark, trying to keep the memory/cpu locked
1:1, running the cpu faster doesn't help if you have latency problems
killing performance.
I do a lot of dvd ripping/reencoding, whatever is fastest is what I

would go
with!

So, Bob, what I understand you saying is that you would run the
processor as fast as possible while still maintaining a 1:1 FSB:RAM
ratio. In my case, this would be a FSB of 210 MHz with memory timings of
2:2:2:6.

Thanks for your input.

Then I would verify that setting was optimum for performance/stability!
(for example)Ripping a long dvd with shrink.