Asus p8z77-v deluxeDumb question re wifi and eternet

Old February 14th 14, 01:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
srt

Default Asus p8z77-v deluxeDumb question re wifi and eternet

Hi,
I was just wondering if there is anything to be gained by running
Ethernet Lan and wifi together on this board.
Is there likely to be a clash or something.
Short question - should I run both?
Sorry for being dim about this but I am old
tia.
Stuart.
Old February 14th 14, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

srt wrote:
Hi,
I was just wondering if there is anything to be gained by running
Ethernet Lan and wifi together on this board.
Is there likely to be a clash or something.
Short question - should I run both?
Sorry for being dim about this but I am old
tia.
Stuart.

If there are two paths to the same place, the software
has to decide which path to use.

"Automatic Metric feature for Internet Protocol routes"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540

Whereas the previous article was for dis-similar networking
elements, you can also team together two identical NICs,
in an attempt to double the bandwidth. The various terms for
this, are listed here. There were even attempts years ago,
to do this with dialup networking (forgotten all the details).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

One person who knew something about that, commented that
you couldn't double the bandwidth for a single connection.
Only the grand total of bandwidth would be doubled. Perhaps
you could do downloads from Google, Microsoft, and Dell at the
same time, and manage to use double the bandwidth. If you had
a single connection to Google, it couldn't go faster
than one of the wires in the team. Which is exactly what
most people are after. To team or aggregate at that level,
likely requires a proprietary solution (another layer of protocol,
perhaps sequence numbers or something).

My ISP supports link aggregation. You can buy up to seven
ADSL wires, and the equipment on the ISP end can combine
the bandwidth of them all (MLPPP). So there are some other cases
where this sort of thing is supported. I haven't a clue if
that has the same granularity issue or not (one big fat connection).

*******

I don't really think you want any of that :-) If you use the
Wifi, or you use the NIC, just use one at a time, and as soon
as the opportunity presents itself, they will connect. On Wifi, there
should be a little control applet, for turning off the radio in
situations where you don't want it used. I used that on my laptop
(and usually have trouble remembering where it's located).

There is a table here, of Wifi bandwidths. And I notice
a new one 802.11ad making amazing promises. Probably, that
you'll be cooked by microwaves, while surfing with your
web browser :-) At least this has a stated rate, faster
than a GbE wired NIC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11n

802.11ad ~Feb 2014 2.4GHz/5GHz/60GHz (up to 6.75Gb/s)

Yeah, like that's going to happen (i.e. get a good result).
For Wifi standards in the past, best case, you get half
of the max value. I wonder if the 60GHz will penetrate walls ?

http://mashable.com/2010/05/10/wi-fi-faster-60ghz/

"Unfortunately, the new standard would come with severe drawbacks;
Wi-Fi signal operating in the 60 GHz band would not be able
to penetrate walls;"

Well, no surprise there I guess.

Paul
Old February 17th 14, 10:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
srt

On 14/02/2014 14:11, Paul wrote:
srt wrote:
[...]

Sorry for not getting back but thank you for your reply and very
detailed information.
Stuart.