Computer do not power

Old February 22nd 09, 04:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Boba & Ilinka

Default Computer do not power

When I press power baton nothing happens. There is light on mother board.
Please could you tell me what to do.

Boba

Old February 22nd 09, 06:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:49:49 -0800, "Boba & Ilinka"
wrote:

When I press power baton nothing happens. There is light on mother board.
Please could you tell me what to do.

Boba

This is usually a power supply or motherboard failure.
To rule out other things, disconnect all other cards
including video, pull memory out, disconnect hard drives too
from both the board and PSU.

Having only CPU + heatsink/fan installed, try to turn the
system on again. It should beep because there's no video
or memory.

If it beeps, try clearing CMOS and put the video and memory
back in. If it doesn't, observe whether the PSU fan stays
spinning, LEDs lit besides the on on the mainboard.

You can try powering on just the PSU by unplugging it from
everything but one hard drive, then short the green PS-On
pin to ground with a paperclip (assuming it is a standard
ATX PSU). At that point the hard drive and PSU fan should
spin and if you've a multimeter you can take voltage
readings. If it won't turn on, this indicates the PSU has
failed. If it does turn on and the voltages look good, you
can either examine the PSU interior (with it unplugged,
capacitor failure is a common problem which is usually
visible from venting), swap in a different PSU, or begin to
suspect the motherboard.

Old February 22nd 09, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Boba & Ilinka

wrote:

[...]

I unpaged everything except motherboard and I get a long beep the CPU fen
spin.
I plugged video card and monitor memory and HD. the fen spin, no post no
beep, no
picture on monitor. Only HD light goes on for a few seconds.
On the HD power cable I read from the first "hole: 5V, 5V and 7.2V .
Capacitors look OK.

Old February 22nd 09, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:51:30 -0800, "Boba & Ilinka"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

So what is still disconnected, that when connected
previously caused the system to show no signs of life at all
besides the LED on the motherboard itself?

Either a part that is still disconnected is the problem, or
we're back again to motherboard or PSU problem but more
likely PSU because it seems the system does more when there
is a lighter load on the PSU.

Try disconnecting some of the things currently connected but
add the things that aren't connected instead, then see if
the system responds to the power button (at least staying on
instead of not even having any fans spin). That way you
have less of a load still but the other parts in the test.

Offhand I'd suspect the PSU has bad capacitors, you might
disconnect it from AC for a few minutes then open it and
inspect them for signs of venting. What are the major
parts in the system and what make/model/wattage PSU is it?
Old February 24th 09, 03:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
sethro

http://pinouts.ru/Power/BigPower_pinout.shtml