Aspect Ratio

Old October 9th 05, 09:58 PM
Robbie

Default Aspect Ratio

I hope this question makes some sense. My camera takes pictures at a 1.5
ration ( 3504 X 2336 ). However, when printing to a 13 X 19, the software
allows me to go bordered or borderless (full). Doesn't that cause a skew? I
also see places that will print 36" X 48" for you. Again, a different aspect
ration. The 4X6 seems to be a true ratio, but I am stumped on the more
popular sizes.

Old October 9th 05, 11:34 PM
Jim

"Robbie" wrote in message
I hope this question makes some sense. My camera takes pictures at a 1.5
ration ( 3504 X 2336 ). However, when printing to a 13 X 19, the software
allows me to go bordered or borderless (full). Doesn't that cause a skew?
also see places that will print 36" X 48" for you. Again, a different
aspect
ration. The 4X6 seems to be a true ratio, but I am stumped on the more
popular sizes.

The image must be cropped to fit the size that don't have 1.5 to 1 aspect
ratio,
Jim

Old October 10th 05, 01:17 AM
Marky

"Robbie" wrote in message
I hope this question makes some sense. My camera takes pictures at a 1.5
ration ( 3504 X 2336 ). However, when printing to a 13 X 19, the software
allows me to go bordered or borderless (full). Doesn't that cause a skew?

also see places that will print 36" X 48" for you. Again, a different

aspect
ration. The 4X6 seems to be a true ratio, but I am stumped on the more
popular sizes.

In some applications increasing the size of the printed image can cause
distortion due to not maintaining the aspect ratio...some programs allow you
to blow the image up and maintain the aspect ratio (check for this setting
in your application) but your image will be cropped when doing borderless
(on Epson printers) because what the printer driver does when you select
borderless is increase the image to slightly larger than the printable
area...

If you need good information on image enlargement and what is the best
resolution there is a site called scantips (www.scantips.com I think)...

Old October 10th 05, 09:40 AM
CWatters

"Robbie" wrote in message
I hope this question makes some sense. My camera takes pictures at a 1.5
ration ( 3504 X 2336 ). However, when printing to a 13 X 19, the software
allows me to go bordered or borderless (full). Doesn't that cause a skew?

also see places that will print 36" X 48" for you. Again, a different

aspect
ration. The 4X6 seems to be a true ratio, but I am stumped on the more
popular sizes.

3504/2336 = 1.5
but
19/13 = 1.46

so the results will depend what the software does. Assuming you want the
biggest print possible it can either..

a) stretch the image vertically slightly to make the aspect ratio 1.46
b) maintain the aspect ratio and scale it to the height (you loose a bit off
the sides).
c) maintain the aspect ratio and scale it to the width (you get white
borders top and bottom).

Draw rectangles on paper with the right aspect ratio and you will get the
idea.

Other paper sizes...

6/4 = 1.5 so its a perfect fit. No need for cropping or stretching in one
direction.

48/36 = 1.333 so stretching or cropping is required. Best to crop the image
to a 1.333 aspect ratio before you send it to them.

10/8 = 1.25 so stretching or cropping is required.

By the way ...When you select borderless printing is normal to loose a
little bit of the image around ALL edges. This is to ensure the image goes
right over the edge if the paper isn't exactly aligned or straight in the
printer. This is in addition to any corrections for the aspect ratio,

Old October 12th 05, 08:44 AM
Arthur Entlich

In the good old days, things were based on a 4x5" neg that could be
printed to 4 x 5" (1/4th the size of a 8x10" photo paper), or 5 x7,
which allowed for two prints per page, or a 8 x 10", 11 x14, etc.

Then the 35 mm image came along which provided for a about a 24mm x 36mm
image or a 1:1.5 aspect ratio.

Aspect ratio has continued to evolve into many categories. On some
digital cameras, it can even be adjusted. Good labs or software should
not skew or compress one dimension to get it to fit. Instead either the
image should allow for borders in one dimension, or crop the image to
lose part of the other dimension. Some will give you the choice.

Skewing the image shouldn't be done unless you request that done.

Art