How do I connect 2 monitors for PhotoShop?

Old July 17th 05, 01:03 PM
Jack

Default How do I connect 2 monitors for PhotoShop?

Something back when I was in our college graphics department, I saw
then connected a main large screen monitor and also a 15" or so
monitor to their computers for Photoshop work. The main monitor
displays the picture being processed and the smaller one displays the
control popup windows.

I'm dabbling in PS now and is now appreciating the benefit of such a
setup. Do I just get another PCI graphic card for the smaller
monitor, or is there more to the eye in this setup. Info and help is
appreciated.

My OS is WinXP
Old July 17th 05, 03:28 PM
Jan Alter

In addition to that web page I was curious as to how cheap one could
find a dual vga adaptor card.
I saw this one for about $54. from Jaton. GEFORCE MX4000 64MB DDR AGP 8X /
DUAL VGA OUTPUTS
I'm just putting this out for reference and would add that there are most
likely better choices if you're interested in quality.
I also saw several dual DVI (digital video outputs) at Newegg starting at
$123.

--
Jan Alter

or

"Jan Alter" wrote in message
Hi,

You get a few choices here.

http://www.ehow.com/how_13829_connect-two-monitors.html

--
Jan Alter

or

Old July 17th 05, 06:05 PM
kony

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:03:13 -0400, Jack
wrote:

Something back when I was in our college graphics department, I saw
then connected a main large screen monitor and also a 15" or so
monitor to their computers for Photoshop work. The main monitor
displays the picture being processed and the smaller one displays the
control popup windows.

I'm dabbling in PS now and is now appreciating the benefit of such a
setup. Do I just get another PCI graphic card for the smaller
monitor, or is there more to the eye in this setup. Info and help is
appreciated.

My OS is WinXP

Yes, it's as easy as it seems, just figure out how you want
to arrive at having a 2nd monitor powered (since using a PCI
card is additional use of PCI bus, the optimal solution is a
dual output AGP (or PCI Express on newer systems) card
instead of two separate cards. Once you have the two, in
windows set it to extend your desktop rather than mirroring
it then drag the toobars over to 2nd monitor. There might
be a setting in PS too, I don't remember that but you can
tackle that when the time comes if necessary.
Old July 18th 05, 01:41 AM
Jack

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:01:49 GMT, "Jan Alter"
wrote:

Hi,

You get a few choices here.

http://www.ehow.com/how_13829_connect-two-monitors.html

Thanks Jan. Got the second monitor working and it's just great.
Old July 18th 05, 02:28 AM
Jack

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:05:12 GMT, kony wrote:
Yes, it's as easy as it seems, just figure out how you want
to arrive at having a 2nd monitor powered (since using a PCI
card is additional use of PCI bus, the optimal solution is a
dual output AGP (or PCI Express on newer systems) card
instead of two separate cards. Once you have the two, in
windows set it to extend your desktop rather than mirroring
it then drag the toobars over to 2nd monitor. There might
be a setting in PS too, I don't remember that but you can
tackle that when the time comes if necessary.

Thanks for the info. It turned out that my video card has 2 outputs:
a DVI and a 15-pin monitor connector. I had always thought that they
are alternates of one another. I connected a secondary monitor to the
15-pin connector and configured it in Display property and all worked
as they should now.
Old July 18th 05, 09:54 AM
Synapse Syndrome

wrote:

Hi,

You get a few choices here.

http://www.ehow.com/how_13829_connect-two-monitors.html

Thanks Jan. Got the second monitor working and it's just great.

If you like using two monitors you may find this useful. I think it's
great.

www.ultramon.com

ss.