xfx fx5900 error

Old August 23rd 04, 12:11 PM
Bushy

Default xfx fx5900 error

hope you guys can be of some help.

I purchsed this card off ebay, knowing full well that it was having
problems. The seller reported blue screens with "irq not less or equal"
errors. After looking them up online, it appeared that was most likely a
hardware conflict or dodgy ram, i'll have one bid i thought.

(un)fortunately my one bid won the thing, and it arrived today.

I uninstalled the drivers i had, and installed the "new" card. The problems
were almost immediate. thin blue lines the vertical length of the srceen
during post, then blue and grey lines for the windows xp booting screen,
then ....nothing. the screen went into sleep mode, like it was recieving no
signal.

any ideas anyone? could it be a power issue? could the ram on the card be
stuffed? could it be a different wy of reporting teh same error the seller
had?

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Bushy

Old August 23rd 04, 06:20 PM
deimos

Bushy wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking the guy tried a RF mod on it or overvolting. That's a
little too messed up and any retail card could have easily been RMA'd.
The seller most likely fub'd it himself.

Also, IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors aren't always indicative of hardware
problems. Bad chipset driver (like older VIA's and cheap mobos) have
that problem too. So did some earlier Detonators with certain
configurations.

There's nothing you can do if the ram is bad, so you're stuck with a
lemon. Make it lemonade and give him some crap feedback though Just
for ****s and giggles.
Old August 25th 04, 06:04 AM
Bushy

"deimos" wrote in message
Bushy wrote:

[...]

well, after some futzing about with xfx tech support, they tell me to join
the forums on their web page. lo and behold what do i find? dozens of
unhappy xfx 5900 variant owners not happy, with vertical lines on startup
and no windows. lucky for them they bought their cards from retailers, so
the tech administartors response is, not surprisingly, RMA the thing. Not
and option for me.now i wait to see if there is actually a service or
repairs centre in australia that can fix my paperweight.

Old August 26th 04, 06:31 PM
Darthy

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:11:00 GMT, "Bushy"
wrote:

[...]

TIP: When someone says "Video card maybe bad" - take it for what its
worth. Unless you can actually SEE the problem... you end up buying a
paper weight. The original owner could have RMA'd the card...

But hey... at least you're not like the BRIT who bitched and moaned
because a guy should him a "dead" card with the statement "this card
is dead" - He thought the seller was an idiot and didn't do someting
right.... so he lost about $50.... but he was an idiot and calling the
seller a "liar"... bwahahaha...

Getting the card serviced.... if not from XFX, is not likely...
period. See how much they would charge for a repair/replacement...
and if the card was stolen, then thats another issue...

Last year... a guy bought a junky 5200 from the store, but there was a
Ti4200 in the box. We figured out that some idiot did a bait & switch
(bought the 5200 to "upgrade" his 4200 and got a "refund") ... so this
guy came out AHEAD... Bwahahahah!!

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
Old August 27th 04, 07:09 AM
Bushy

yep, the old once bitten thing might stik in my head for a while now....

damn me and my bargain hunting