6800gt & DVI widescreen ?

Old July 13th 04, 04:29 PM
Jeff B

Louis van Abeelen wrote:
Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

If I'm correct the 6800u has dual DVI ports, one using an internal- and one
using an external TMDS transmitter.
Could you please check if these resolutions work on both ?

Yes, both work at 1920x1200 on my apple 23". They also both work
at 1280x720 on my my Samsung
DLP set. Having both work at the same time is important because now I
can have both my monitor and my HDTV set connected to DVI ports on my
graphics card, no more switching cables when I want to play HDTV files
on my hard drive on my Samsung DLP set.

Jeff B

Old July 13th 04, 05:07 PM
Biz

"Jeff B" wrote in message

I'm running my 6800u (BFG6800u) at 1920x1200 via the DVI port.

Jeff B

The same card you are sending back because it wont run your games at
1920x1200?

Old July 13th 04, 06:15 PM
J. Clarke

Biz wrote:

"Jeff B" wrote in message

I'm running my 6800u (BFG6800u) at 1920x1200 via the DVI port.

Jeff B

The same card you are sending back because it wont run your games at
1920x1200?

Since Jeff doesn't amplify his response, games are generally written for
certain fixed resoltions and set the display resolution to one of those
regardless of the capabilities of the display and video board. If you have
a widescreen display this can be rather annoying.

One thing I like about the Sanyo PLV-70 is that it allows this sort of thing
to be dealt with without too much difficulty. An expensive solution though
for most users.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old July 14th 04, 08:58 PM
Mike T

I have a FX5600 Ultra running DVI to my RCA DLP HDTV and I can choose
1920X1080 or 720X480. I know the RCA will not accept 720P resolution on the
DVI input so these must be the 2 settings that the TV will support. The
1920X1080 looks great, and the desktop is very readable except for the
overscan. I will be trying to make some changes to correct for the overscan
problems, got some info from the AVSforum.

Mike T

"Louis van Abeelen" wrote in message
Thank for your reply. (what brand did you buy ?)

Unfortunately the supported resolutions via analogue (i.e. CRT) don't say
much about what is supported via digital DVI out.

Without getting into detail it has to do with the bandwith of the

so-called
TMDS transmitter chip and/or the way resolution/refresh information is
detected by the driver.

I have read some reactions of 6800GT users that faced 1280x1024

limitations
on DVI out.

Any owners of the Albatron 6800gt ?
Anyone succesfully using widescreen and/or 1600x1024 resolutions via DVI

on
an 6800gt ?

regards,

Louis

"+c0re-" wrote in message
Not sure if this answers your question, but I have a 6800GT in my system
now, I'm running it on a CRT monitor. Here are a few of the higher
resolutions I can select in display properties:

1280 x 960

1360 x 768

1600 x 900

1600 x 1024

hope this helps, I've been incredibly pleased with this card since I got

it.

"Louis van Abeelen" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm thinking about upgrading my ATI8500 to an Albatron Geforce 6800GT.

One thing that I am not certain about is widescreen support via DVI.

The reason I bought my current ATI was the fact that it could drive my
Silicon Graphics 1600sw flatpannel at it's native 1600x1024 resolution
(@60Hz)

Can anyone confirm if the 6800GT supports wide-screen resolutions up

1600x1024 ?

Thx,

Louis

Old July 14th 04, 09:52 PM
Louis van Abeelen

Thanks for trying but I think that with the plug you in fact use the card's
analogue out

regards,

Louis

"+c0re-" wrote in message
would it help you any if I plug in the dvi - analog adapter and see what
resolutions are availabe there?

"+c0re-" wrote in message
I bought an XFX branded one.
GL, hope you get a definitive answer

Old August 12th 04, 04:23 PM
Eric Witte

"Mike T" wrote in message ...
I have a FX5600 Ultra running DVI to my RCA DLP HDTV and I can choose
1920X1080 or 720X480. I know the RCA will not accept 720P resolution on the
DVI input so these must be the 2 settings that the TV will support. The
1920X1080 looks great, and the desktop is very readable except for the
overscan. I will be trying to make some changes to correct for the overscan
problems, got some info from the AVSforum.

Mike T

You can only get 1920x1080 by tweaking it. I can not remember the
exact term. I believe it just drops it to 52hz. The max spec for SL
DVI is 1600x1200@60hz. TV is 1080i so it should not be a problem with
Powerstrip. That basically takes up the same bandwidth as it would
running 30hz.

Eric
Old August 12th 04, 04:24 PM
Eric Witte

"Louis van Abeelen" wrote in message ...
Thank for your reply. (what brand did you buy ?)

Unfortunately the supported resolutions via analogue (i.e. CRT) don't say
much about what is supported via digital DVI out.

Without getting into detail it has to do with the bandwith of the so-called
TMDS transmitter chip and/or the way resolution/refresh information is
detected by the driver.

I have read some reactions of 6800GT users that faced 1280x1024 limitations
on DVI out.

Any owners of the Albatron 6800gt ?
Anyone succesfully using widescreen and/or 1600x1024 resolutions via DVI on
an 6800gt ?

regards,

Louis

Max SL DVI spec is 1600x1200. I'm running that resolution fine with my 6800gt.

Eric