Widescreen TV-out (Radeon 9100 IGP)

Old December 12th 04, 07:58 PM
Martijn Saly

Default Widescreen TV-out (Radeon 9100 IGP)

I've got an Aristona 28" widescreen TV. I live in Europe, so we use PAL-B
(TV supports NTSC, but that doesn't fix the problem, it only introduces the
weird NTSC-colors).

I really can't get a good widescreen output. I would think a resultion of
856x480 would be perfect, because that's the exact resolution of a PAL
widescreen TV. However, I can't set that resolution normally, and when I try
setting it with PowerStrip, the image is almost good. Horizontally, it looks
like the image is shrunk and then stretched again.

Note that I'm not using Cinema/Theater mode, I use the TV as the primary
display, so it has nothing to do with Cinema/Theater mode.

So, concluding: what do I need to do to get a widescreen image on my TV
without the image being stretched?

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly
Old December 13th 04, 02:36 PM
kalev-

Martijn Saly wrote:

I've got an Aristona 28" widescreen TV. I live in Europe, so we use PAL-B
(TV supports NTSC, but that doesn't fix the problem, it only introduces
the weird NTSC-colors).

I really can't get a good widescreen output. I would think a resultion of
856x480 would be perfect, because that's the exact resolution of a PAL
widescreen TV. However, I can't set that resolution normally, and when I
try setting it with PowerStrip, the image is almost good. Horizontally, it
looks like the image is shrunk and then stretched again.

Note that I'm not using Cinema/Theater mode, I use the TV as the primary
display, so it has nothing to do with Cinema/Theater mode.

So, concluding: what do I need to do to get a widescreen image on my TV
without the image being stretched?

There's different adjustments (image processors) on TVs - one being "image
stretching" aka 4:3 and 16:9 ratio stuff. You may want to check that
you're setting this properly. I would guess 16:9. (So each pixel is still
interpreted as being square.)

Now when I think about this -- it may be that (??) some TVs can't actually
receive a 16:9 true square pixel sized image. Not sure about this. But I
think anamorphic (wide-screen) is actually just wide pixels. More pixels
aren't actually coming in from the source.

Sorry if this isn't helping..

--
Every day above ground is a good day
Old December 13th 04, 09:51 PM
Martijn Saly

kalev- wrote:
There's different adjustments (image processors) on TVs - one being "image
stretching" aka 4:3 and 16:9 ratio stuff. You may want to check that
you're setting this properly. I would guess 16:9. (So each pixel is still
interpreted as being square.)

Now when I think about this -- it may be that (??) some TVs can't actually
receive a 16:9 true square pixel sized image. Not sure about this. But I
think anamorphic (wide-screen) is actually just wide pixels. More pixels
aren't actually coming in from the source.

Sorry if this isn't helping..

Stretching on the TV doesn't help. The image outputted to the TV is already
full-screen. The problem is that the card cannot output with 16:9 aspect
ratio, resulting in a horizontally stretched and scrollable image. If the
image would just shrink horizontally but not vertically, everything would be OK.

I don;t know what this has to do with anamorphic, but I do know that when I
set a 16:9 resolution like 1024x576, the image looks vertically stretched on
a regular monitor, so it should look perfect on my TV (I guess that's
anamorphic). But the card refuses to output the image without stretching it,
mainly because I just can't tell the driver that I have a widescreen TV.

So again, how do I actually fix this?

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly
Old December 14th 04, 05:10 PM
First of One

Don't have a TV hooked up myself. However, have tried playing with the size
adjustments and sync methods in Monitor Properties?

Display Properties - Settings tab - Advanced - Displays tab - click on
the button representing your TV.

Old December 14th 04, 08:05 PM
Martijn Saly

First of One wrote:
Don't have a TV hooked up myself. However, have tried playing with the size
adjustments and sync methods in Monitor Properties?

Display Properties - Settings tab - Advanced - Displays tab - click on
the button representing your TV.

Those are not available, because I obviously use overscan. Aside that, the
image is already full-screen, it just not the right aspect ratio (Just read
my other post, I don't feel like explaining it again).

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly