capture problem

Old September 29th 04, 09:46 PM
heian

Default capture problem

Hi,

I try to capture a vhs movie from 50 minutes on a dvd.

Computer is fast enough for that and has enough memory too.
Installed is a nVidia Ti4600, which is connected to the vhs player with the
composite cable.
I have only Windows Xp, Ulead dvd moviefactory 2 and Pinnacle studio 8
installed.
(with update and Sp1) No virusscanners running and so on, because not
connected with internet.

After capture a movie and burn in on a dvd, the film is very clear and good,
but everythig what
is in motion, is shaking very much. Like it is recorded under a stroboscope
light.

Because the same problem happend with both Ulead and Pinnacle, i start
thinking about my
videocard. To be honest, i have to use an older driver 1.8, because this
driver doesn't "see"
the macrovision.

Does anybody recognize this problem? Can the video in from this card not
capture a movie
from vhs, should i buy a capture card. Can i capture in 720*576 ?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance,

heian

Old September 30th 04, 03:00 AM
NeonBlue

does it look like it's flashing red and green like it should be viewed with
3D glasses sometimes? I had that problem and I messed about with the
brightness, contrast and saturation controls, etc and that seemed to
help..... capturing to wmv or mpg codec seemed to make it happen worse at
the time I think? but I'm not sure I can help more than that, sorry

i.nl...

Old September 30th 04, 03:02 AM
NeonBlue

"NeonBlue" wrote in message
does it look like it's flashing red and green like it should be viewed
with 3D glasses sometimes? I had that problem and I messed about with the
brightness, contrast and saturation controls, etc and that seemed to
help..... capturing to wmv or mpg codec seemed to make it happen worse at
the time I think? but I'm not sure I can help more than that, sorry

also as I recall I think it happened due to the saturation of the colour
being too high and it looked too gaudy and flashy on the captured video but
was okay in preview on the computer....

Old September 30th 04, 06:49 PM
heian

Hi,

Thanks NeonBlue, for your help.

I just use the options "burn to dvd" from both Pinnacle studio and Ulead
movie factory 2. I think they have the right software to fix it, and don't
need to install any codec anymore.

Strange is that the colours are very clear and sharp. Only
the motions of people are bad. My preview isn't good too.

Do you know, is it possible that the settings of the videocard are too low,
like the opposite of over-clocking? So that fast movements can not be
followed ?

heian

Old October 3rd 04, 06:29 AM
NeonBlue

Hi,

oops, sorry I didn't see this sooner..... please forgive me

First of all I'd say it's fairly unlikely that any kind of underclocking is
to blame (unless you've actually specifically "under"clocked it by an
extreme amount?).....

Well I haven't had any experience with those software packages you mention
but if the video capture is producing blurring when there is movement then
it sounds like it might be that you are capturing in NTSC format when it
should be PAL format? as it could be adding in the extra frames in each
second of video (PAL = 25fps and NTSC = 30fps approx) so the extra 5 frames
may get filled with the contents of the previous frame thereby causing the
same image to "linger" on the screen for longer than usual causing the
movement to appear "blurred" so to speak? Or if that's not the case then
you could also try changing the settings for the codec you are using (if
possible) to allow better motion detection.... for example if using the XVid
codec then go to it's Configuration settings and in Advanced Options you can
set Motion Search Precision to Ultra High if it's not already but I'm not
sure about this as I've always left it on default which should be Ultra High
I think? if you are getting blurry motion on capturing from a vhs video
then also check that the system (dvd player and tv) you are playing it back
on supports the format you are capturing to (for example it's 704x576 I
think for PAL capture but not entirely sure) and ensure that your preview
looks normal first as if it doesn't then you are probably trying to capture
to a size that your card might not support)

also if anyone sees any mistakes in all this that I said or can offer any
other ideas then feel free to correct it cause I'm by no means a know-it-all
about video capture thanks