Is my nVidia card too old for these games?

Old February 5th 04, 06:36 PM
Al Smith

Default Is my nVidia card too old for these games?

I've got a TNT2 Model 64 nVidia graphics card with 32 MB of memory
and the AGP 2x Bus. I'm using the 4.14.10.5304 drivers, which are
the latest I can download from the nVidia site, and DirectX 9b,
the latest DirectX I can get from Microsoft.

When I try to play the game "Uru" I get a blue screen when it
tries to start the actual game itself. When I try to play "Lord of
the Rings: Return of the King" I get a message telling me that the
game can't find a Direct 3D compatible device and is shutting
itself down.

Both games installed with no problem. I'm wondering if my nVidia
card is just too old for these new games, which came out around
Christmas time. Older games run without a hitch on this computer
using this card. My computer is older (PII 450) but that doesn't
seem to be the problem here. It seems to be the graphics card and
its drivers. Any ideas?
Old February 5th 04, 06:58 PM
Andrew

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:36:47 GMT, Al Smith
wrote:

Both games installed with no problem. I'm wondering if my nVidia
card is just too old for these new games, which came out around
Christmas time. Older games run without a hitch on this computer
using this card. My computer is older (PII 450) but that doesn't
seem to be the problem here. It seems to be the graphics card and
its drivers. Any ideas?

The TNT2 M64 was a poorly performing card when it was released
something like 5 years ago, it definitely isn't up to playing most
modern games now. Unfortuately your processor is well below minimum
spec for most games these days too.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old February 5th 04, 11:18 PM
Dark Avenger

Al Smith wrote in message ...
[...]

Seeying your processor..there is more for you to upgrade. I guess you
can replace EVERYTHING with newer stuff before you have acceptable
gameplay.

Okay, I highly advice to keep your P II 450Mhz as a File Server orso
and buy a nice new athlon system!
Old February 6th 04, 12:43 AM
DaveW

Yes, your graphics card is too old to play URU, and your CPU is also. Did
you look at the System Requirements on the Uru box?

--
DaveW

Old February 6th 04, 03:06 AM
Al Smith

Yes, your graphics card is too old to play URU, and your CPU is also. Did
you look at the System Requirements on the Uru box?

-- DaveW

I've got the Uru box in front of me even as I type. It specifies
"32MB nVidia GeForce 1,2,3,4, or FX; Radeon 7000-9800 or better."

I thought that since my card is a 32 MB card, it would meet the
minimum requirement. Now I'm wondering if it just doesn't have a
necessary feature of more recent cards that the newest games require.
Old February 6th 04, 03:07 AM
Al Smith

Both games installed with no problem. I'm wondering if my nVidia
card is just too old for these new games, which came out around
Christmas time. Older games run without a hitch on this computer
using this card. My computer is older (PII 450) but that doesn't
seem to be the problem here. It seems to be the graphics card and
its drivers. Any ideas?

The TNT2 M64 was a poorly performing card when it was released
something like 5 years ago, it definitely isn't up to playing most
modern games now. Unfortuately your processor is well below minimum
spec for most games these days too.

I agree, and I didn't expect the games to run perfectly, but I
hoped they would run well enough to play.
Old February 6th 04, 04:20 AM
Biz

Al your video is not a Geforce card or better, it is pre-Geforce card
technology and it doesnt even understand many of the gfx feature calls the
game makes. SO you are correct, it doesnt support certain NECESSARY
features of the more recent cards to play it and many other new games.

Old February 6th 04, 08:14 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 03:07:31 GMT, Al Smith
wrote:

Both games installed with no problem. I'm wondering if my nVidia
card is just too old for these new games, which came out around
Christmas time. Older games run without a hitch on this computer
using this card. My computer is older (PII 450) but that doesn't
seem to be the problem here. It seems to be the graphics card and
its drivers. Any ideas?

The TNT2 M64 was a poorly performing card when it was released
something like 5 years ago, it definitely isn't up to playing most
modern games now. Unfortuately your processor is well below minimum
spec for most games these days too.

I agree, and I didn't expect the games to run perfectly, but I
hoped they would run well enough to play.

WHY would you expect it to play?! Its a 2003/4 video game... And not
only were you attempting to play it on a 5 year old video card with a
5 year old CPU (In case you haven't noticed - you're about 3000Mhz
behind - about 8 fold) - the TNT2-M64 was a POS video card when it
first came out... it is SLOWER than the original TNT1.

Best best is to build or buy an AMD system.... HP sells a system for
about $600 with the NFORCE Chipset, it has an onboard GF2 card... but
with an AGP slot for a better card. (AMD 2800~3000/512mb/120GB HD)

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 6th 04, 09:09 PM
Dark Avenger

Al Smith wrote in message ...
Yes, your graphics card is too old to play URU, and your CPU is also. Did
you look at the System Requirements on the Uru box?

-- DaveW

I've got the Uru box in front of me even as I type. It specifies
"32MB nVidia GeForce 1,2,3,4, or FX; Radeon 7000-9800 or better."

I thought that since my card is a 32 MB card, it would meet the
minimum requirement. Now I'm wondering if it just doesn't have a
necessary feature of more recent cards that the newest games require.

The TNT2 doesn't has support for DirectX or start with..or atleast
hardware rendering. It's nothing more then a chip to controll the
memory on the card!