Bios setup question for 5700 Ultra

Old November 14th 03, 11:06 PM
Vassik

Default Bios setup question for 5700 Ultra

I just purchased the Nvidia 5700 ultra and like it however I am a newbie and
confused regarding the recommended Bios settings and would appreciate any
feedback.

The recommended settings according to the Nvidia site were to set the AGP
aperture size to 4 mb Also the suggestion is to set up (under Bios) the AGP
Transfer mode to1x but wouldn't slow down the machine since this card is 8x?

Here is my setup:
P4 2.4
1 gb of ram
Windows XP home
Award Bios

Thanks so much for any clarification.

Old November 15th 03, 01:05 PM
Dark Avenger

"Vassik" wrote in message news:Gddtb.200339$Tr4.573323@attbi_s03...
I just purchased the Nvidia 5700 ultra and like it however I am a newbie and
confused regarding the recommended Bios settings and would appreciate any
feedback.

The recommended settings according to the Nvidia site were to set the AGP
aperture size to 4 mb Also the suggestion is to set up (under Bios) the AGP
Transfer mode to1x but wouldn't slow down the machine since this card is 8x?

Here is my setup:
P4 2.4
1 gb of ram
Windows XP home
Award Bios

Thanks so much for any clarification.

4 MB ?

Then your motherboard switches AGP support off and you get PCI
performance!

Make it around 128Mb please.... "how to waste performance" is
probably a book in your case!
Old November 15th 03, 05:08 PM
Vassik

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...
"Vassik" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks so much for the clarifications and help! I was surprised that Nvidia
recommends these settings that is why I thought to ask. Well here are the
settings from their website:

Preferred BIOS Settings

Assign IRQ for VGA: Enable
PnP O/S Installed: Enable
VGA Pallet Snooping: Disable
PCI Bursting: Disable
PCI Latency Timer: 128
Peer Concurrency: Disable
Video BIOS Shadowing: Disable
Video BIOS Cacheable: Disable
Video RAM Shadowing: Disable
Video RAM Cacheable: Disable
USWC Options: Disable (or set to UC)
Pipeline Cache Write: Disable
Assign IRQ To USB: Enable
PCI 2.1 Compliancy: Enable
Passive Release: Enable
Delayed Transaction: Enable
VGA Boot Sequence: AGP
AGP/Graphics Aperture Size: 4MB (See Above) ....well there is
nothing above!
AGP Turbo Read Mode: Disable
AGP Turbo Write Mode: Disable
AGP WS Write: Highest Possible Value
AGP WS Read: Highest Possible Value
AGP Transfer Mode: 1x
AGP Clock: 2/3
MPS or MP-SPEC: 1.1 (For Multi-Processor Systems Only)

Old November 16th 03, 01:41 AM
Helion

If I'm not mistaken that appears to be what is posted at www.evga.com web
site.... the purpose of that was when people where having problems with the
VIA 694 and 133 chipsets... it allowed them to at least get AGP card running
without an error/lockup. Set AGP to as high as motherboard supports and mem
to 128 like previous post suggests, will run fine. I also have Fastwrites
enabled with no problems and minor speed improvement, if your board supports
it go for it, otherwise turn fastwrites off and it will still run well.

Old November 16th 03, 05:51 AM
Vassik

I appreciate the help and feedback. If I were to bother everyone one more
time please. What shall I put under the PCI Latency timer? The Nvidia site
recommends 128 shall I proceed or leave the default under my Bios which is
32?
There is no Fastwrites option in my Bios but all is working well.
Very kind of all to offer help. Thanks

.com...