biased 3DGuru site ? sponsored by nvidia ?

Old September 28th 03, 05:32 PM
Juan Alvarez

Default biased 3DGuru site ? sponsored by nvidia ?

I don't trust the 3DGuru site.
Are they being payed by nvidia ???
Their test show a better score for the nvidia fx cards,
while other sites report better scores for the ati radeon
9700 pro and 9800 pro (half-life2, aquamark3) specially
when turning full FSAA and AA.

Can anyone give me some helpfull explanation ?
What is the best card for playing 3d games fast and with
high image quality ?

Old September 28th 03, 05:44 PM
Lee Marsh

"Juan Alvarez" a émis l'idée suivante :
I don't trust the 3DGuru site.
Are they being payed by nvidia ???

I presume you mean Guru3D? and I think its unlikely Guru3D are being
paid by Nvidia, thats like saying other sites are being paid by ATI to
fix the benchmarks in their reviews.

Old September 28th 03, 10:35 PM
mike

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:44:36 +0100, Lee Marsh
wrote:

"Juan Alvarez" a émis l'idée suivante :
I don't trust the 3DGuru site.
Are they being payed by nvidia ???

I presume you mean Guru3D? and I think its unlikely Guru3D are being
paid by Nvidia, thats like saying other sites are being paid by ATI to
fix the benchmarks in their reviews.

I haven't been to their site but he has a point. If all benchmarks are
showing card A as being fastest yet guru3d is the only one that finds
card B faster then something is wrong.
Old September 28th 03, 11:15 PM
Lenny

I haven't been to their site but he has a point. If all benchmarks are
showing card A as being fastest yet guru3d is the only one that finds
card B faster then something is wrong.

Something may indeed be wrong, but it's a far-fetched conclusion to assume
the site owners are being paid off by an outside party. For starters, unless
Nvidia pays off like the entire internet, people are bound to notice the
discrepancies and start to investigate. It's not as if it's a particulary
successful strategy to just pay off ONE of the countless tech sites out
there... And why Guru3D, why not Anandtech for example (which reaches a
much wider audience and is already super corporated btw with ads out the
wazoo; long gone are the days when Anand talked about the movie he went to
with his girlfriend etc...).

Old September 29th 03, 03:57 AM
mike

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:15:12 GMT, "Lenny" wrote:

I haven't been to their site but he has a point. If all benchmarks are
showing card A as being fastest yet guru3d is the only one that finds
card B faster then something is wrong.

Something may indeed be wrong, but it's a far-fetched conclusion to assume
the site owners are being paid off by an outside party. For starters, unless
Nvidia pays off like the entire internet, people are bound to notice the
discrepancies and start to investigate. It's not as if it's a particulary
successful strategy to just pay off ONE of the countless tech sites out
there... And why Guru3D, why not Anandtech for example (which reaches a
much wider audience and is already super corporated btw with ads out the
wazoo; long gone are the days when Anand talked about the movie he went to
with his girlfriend etc...).

I wasn't agreeing that anyone was being paid off, I was simply
pointing out that he is correct to be suspicisious of *something*.
Were I a cynic I would simply believe that someone (or all) at the
Guru3D site is an nvidia fanboy and did whatever need be done to make
sure they 5900 benched better than the 9800. Were I not a cynic, I
would simply believe someone simply screwed up bigtime...
Old September 29th 03, 11:19 AM
Nada

"Lenny" wrote:
I haven't been to their site but he has a point. If all benchmarks are
showing card A as being fastest yet guru3d is the only one that finds
card B faster then something is wrong.

Something may indeed be wrong, but it's a far-fetched conclusion to assume
the site owners are being paid off by an outside party. For starters, unless
Nvidia pays off like the entire internet, people are bound to notice the
discrepancies and start to investigate. It's not as if it's a particulary
successful strategy to just pay off ONE of the countless tech sites out
there... And why Guru3D, why not Anandtech for example (which reaches a
much wider audience and is already super corporated btw with ads out the
wazoo; long gone are the days when Anand talked about the movie he went to
with his girlfriend etc...).

Guru3D visited the Nvidia headquarters not too long ago. There's
optimized objectivity in the air.
Old September 29th 03, 01:41 PM
fronic

Just read the article in Guru3d on the Creative 5900Fx and it does seem like
Nvidia fan boys. They compaired the board to other Nividia boards rather
than to ATI.
They have always been there for Det. drivers.
fronic
m...

Old September 29th 03, 01:51 PM
Mark Leuck

"Nada" wrote in message
om...
"Lenny" wrote:
[...]

So has half the hardware review sites on the net by now

Old September 30th 03, 01:56 AM
John Ross Jr.

"Juan Alvarez" ha scritto nel messaggio

[cut]