Gray Horizontal Shadows

Old August 9th 03, 10:53 PM
QV

Default Gray Horizontal Shadows

"Edward J. Neth" wrote in message
y.com...
Common mode of failure for these cards, yes - and they do seem to be

failing
in relatively large numbers.

I concur.

Old August 9th 03, 11:03 PM
Alan

same symptoms to when my TNT2 fried...
best way to fix is replace

alan

. ca...

Old August 10th 03, 07:11 AM
David Efflandt

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 21:44:11 GMT, Edward J. Neth wrote:
Common mode of failure for these cards, yes - and they do seem to be failing
in relatively large numbers.

Same system, already had same problem. I have had computers since 1980
and this is the first and only time I ever had a video card failure. We
did receive one GW where the video did not work when new, until video card
was reseated in the slot. But doing that or trying different monitor did
not help in this case.

"Uncle D.L." wrote in message
link.net...
Awoke this morning to an unusual display problem; never had a single
problem in 3 years with this system:

Gateway GP7-550 (3.5 years old)
Windows 98SE
Nvidia RIVA TNT2 32MB video card (OEM)
384 Mb RAM
CTX VL700 17" monitor

My screen is now riddled with horizontal gray shadows...

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/
Old August 10th 03, 08:56 AM
Timothy Drouillard

Same here. At work we've had almost every system that we bought from Gateway
over the last several years with that video card exhibit the same symtoms.
Our systems all had a three year warranty, and Gateway has replaced every
one that we have notified them about without arguement.

You might want to call Gateway about the problem even though you're past
your warranty period.

Old August 10th 03, 12:58 PM
Richard Giza

Same problem with Dell XPS-T and NVIDIA GeForce 256 although once manifested
has not gotten any worse. Did all the checks as well and swapped monitors.
For those Dell users--their forum has numerous reports of this problem.

Old August 10th 03, 06:22 PM
Edward J. Neth

If you have an AGP slot, there's no point in limiting yourself to a PCI
card.

Even a low-end card these days (Radeon 7500, nVidia 5200) will be a major
improvement on the old card, performance wise - and it'll cost under $100.

"Uncle D.L." wrote in message
link.net...
Thanks to all for your feedback.

One other thing I didn't mention... The dying Nvidia lives in an AGP slot.

Should I give any thought to refilling the AGP slot or just get a PCI

card?
I'm not much of a gamer (unless you count Redneck Rampage), but I don't

want
to cheat myself out of good performance if the money's the same.

Thanks again,
Uncle D.L.

Old August 10th 03, 11:26 PM
Jayzero

This happened to my Geforce 256 not so long ago. Discovered the gpu fan had
seized and the chip was buggered! Was advised on this NG to replace the
card.

gy.com...

"Uncle D.L." wrote in message
link.net...
Thanks to all for your feedback.

One other thing I didn't mention... The dying Nvidia lives in an AGP

slot.

Should I give any thought to refilling the AGP slot or just get a PCI

card?
I'm not much of a gamer (unless you count Redneck Rampage), but I don't

want
to cheat myself out of good performance if the money's the same.

Thanks again,
Uncle D.L.

Mustek TWAIN crashes when 2nd gray scan in XP? Jan Scanners 1 December 21st 04 12:43 PM
horizontal span Carl Gurgan General 1 June 5th 04 01:20 AM
g400 AGP horizontal pixel movement J.Clarke Matrox Videocards 11 September 23rd 03 03:10 AM
Gray bands across screen philo General 5 July 15th 03 04:28 PM
Dying for any help or advice! Horizontal streaking with my nVidia GeForce DDR Jim Keyes Nvidia Videocards 2 July 9th 03 06:33 AM