How to share ATI AIW settings with multiple users?

Old August 31st 03, 01:24 AM
wdsnews

Default How to share ATI AIW settings with multiple users?

Every time a new user logs on to our shared family computer, I have to set
up MMC 8.5 for the All-in-Wonder 9000 all over again. If that was all there
were to it, then ok. I could live with that. But I want to share the TV
recording schedule with all users, which of course includes the "default"
user when no one is logged on.

As it is now, virtually all of our painfully setup TV schedules get missed
because the user, where a schedule got set up, is not logged on when the
show comes on.

The other big problem is with the vcr files. They're huge, and there's no
reason to keep extra copies.

Thanks for your advice.

Old August 31st 03, 01:35 AM
Tim

You fail to mention what operating system you are using....

Since you mention the "default" user, as in no user logged in, I assum it's not
Windows NT/2000/XP/2003....

If I am not mistaken, whenever a new user is created by just typing in a
username and password, and storing the password on the system, the default
registry settings are taken FROM the default user. So, try and setup the
Default user's settings first, then try logging in with a new user name.

Old August 31st 03, 02:39 AM
Vance McNeil

Sounds like it might be XP.

It seems more applications are sensitive to XP's multiple user scheme
allowing every app to be customised per each user's preferences (this is
likely the first step to requiring licenses for each user

Try setting the schedule from Admin's login.

.. .

Old August 31st 03, 03:09 AM
Tim

Someone correct me if I am mistaken....

I am using Windows XP Professional. I am unaware if XP Home is different in this
matter:

You cannot bypass the login process. There is no "Cancel" button like there is
on Windows 95/98/Me to skip logging onto the system. This is the reason XP is
more secure.

So, we must assume he's not using XP..... but Windows 98/Me (surly not 95)

"Vance McNeil" Vance @diogenese.ca wrote in message
. ..
Sounds like it might be XP.

It seems more applications are sensitive to XP's multiple user scheme
allowing every app to be customised per each user's preferences (this is
likely the first step to requiring licenses for each user

Try setting the schedule from Admin's login.

.. .

Old August 31st 03, 09:05 PM
Vance McNeil

Why must we assume he's not talking about XP?
I recall that when I tried to use MMC from another user's account, I had to
set up the TV all over again.

Different profiles, different settings...

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old August 31st 03, 09:12 PM
Andre C

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 02:09:02 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

You cannot bypass the login process. There is no "Cancel" button like there is
on Windows 95/98/Me to skip logging onto the system. This is the reason XP is
more secure.

You can by pass the login screen but only if you are the only account
set up. There is registry tweak though I think tweakui also offers
this.

With regard to XP I don't know if the following would work. When you
boot up for the day, log into the user who has the scehdules. Thus the
computer is geared to record. Then go back to the login screen. Now
any user can log into their own account, whilst the TV account runs in
the background.

Andre
Old August 31st 03, 09:49 PM
Tim

You can by pass the login screen but only if you are the only account
set up. There is registry tweak though I think tweakui also offers
this.

That is bypassing the user-interactive login process yes, but you are still
logging in with a USER NAME and/or Password. Those programs just enable
auto-login, which stores your username and/or password and uses that information
to automatically log you on. It still is a login process, and the login process
cannot be bypassed.

With regard to XP I don't know if the following would work. When you
boot up for the day, log into the user who has the schedules. Thus the
computer is geared to record. Then go back to the login screen. Now
any user can log into their own account, whilst the TV account runs in
the background.

Yea that'd work. But keep in mind, most programs which require access to the
computer hardware don't like to be opened more than once. The second user
logged in could suffer error messages saying this program is already running....
but is simple to press OK and go about your business. Also, if it's not a very
fast computer, having more than one person logged on at a time will degrade
overall system performance.

Old August 31st 03, 09:52 PM
Tim

Why must we assume he's not talking about XP?
I recall that when I tried to use MMC from another user's account, I had to
set up the TV all over again.

Different profiles, different settings...

That is already known. What I am trying to argue is you cannot bypass the login
process on XP and login without entering a username &/or password, whether you
type it in or click on a name or whether windows automatically does it for you
(Auto Login, referring to my other post). The original poster mentions not what
his operating system is, but makes references to the default user when you
bypass logging onto the system. Since you cannot bypass logging onto Windows
XP, he cannot be talking about Windows XP.

Old August 31st 03, 09:54 PM
Tim

I believe you need to do us the courtesy of responding with additional
information (please check the other posts).

This is something that is really not liked... someone posts a request for help
without providing enough information, and never responds with that required
information. Usually ends to blocking that person from people's systems and you
won't receive help from those people....

Old August 31st 03, 09:59 PM
JAD

If he used the word 'guest' it may have been more appropriate I think...but anywho 9x versions of windows share the setting unless
you evoke multiple users. Most people don't do this, but if the OP did , then just turn that off.

If in fact your using XP/2000 there are administration controls that allow you to share desktop settings with other users.

Alt.windows-xp

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

.. .