GA-8KNXP and Zalman CNPS 7000 cooler question

Old January 4th 04, 04:24 PM
alans220

Default GA-8KNXP and Zalman CNPS 7000 cooler question

Hi,

Just about to purchase the above two items, saw the thread earlier
about fitting etc.

Do you use the fan speed controller? or just have it running full
speed?

My case an Antec Quiet, has a fan connector from the power supply that
is speed regulated, which I could connect to the Zalman, which would
then be speed varied according to the temp sensor in the power supply
area. Not sure if thats a good idea.

Is the Zalman noisy(ish) when on full speed.

thanks

al
Old January 4th 04, 06:54 PM
Giga Man

alans220 wrote:

Do you use the fan speed controller? or just have it running full
speed?

My case an Antec Quiet, has a fan connector from the power supply
that is speed regulated, which I could connect to the Zalman,

You mean you want to use the Zalman controller to control the fan in
your power supply?

(I find auto-regulating fans, be they for the CPU or in the PS, to be
VERY distracting vs just running them at constant RPM).

Is the Zalman noisy(ish) when on full speed.

With the 8KNXP, 2.6 ghz 800 FSB, 1 gb ram (512mb dual channel), no
over clocking, the computer runs fine with the Zalman fan controller
set at minimum fan speed. When doing things like video editing, I've
noticed random beeps that *I think* have disappeared since turning up
the fan speed. (Note that I've put 3 or 4 diodes in series with the
motherboard and DPMS fans to reduce their rpm and noise).

Don't know why I'm getting the beeps since I think the alarms are
turned off and the CPU temp is below the alarm threshold anyways.
Old January 4th 04, 07:25 PM
mark7

I use the fan controller, first to see how much noise it makes at
different speeds. It's silent at slow speed and barely audible at
the highest speed, so I set mine about in the middle. It is far
better than the stock P4 heatsink and fan as far as noise goes.
I'd use the "CPU Fan" connector on the board if I were you.
I bought mine he

http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?...ryID=6&Keyword

Old January 4th 04, 07:29 PM
Timothy Drouillard

I'm running a 3.2Ghz w/2gig of ram, 2 optical drives, 4 SATA drives, etc...

I also have the all-copper version of the Zalman, and I do not use the
Zalman fan speed controller.

The Zalman fan is pretty quiet even when running at full speed, and I wanted
one less item inside the case that would increase case clutter.

It all depends on how quiet you want your PC to be. Some people are much
more sensitive to fan noise than others are.

Old January 5th 04, 12:09 AM
Bob Davis

"alans220" wrote in message

Do you use the fan speed controller? or just have it running full speed?

There's no reason not to use it, as you can set it at full speed or lower.
I have mine set in the middle where it spins at about 2000 rpm, but it isn't
noisy at full speed. At this speed the CPU runs cooler than the stock unit
while maintaining much lower noise level. BTW, I have the all-Cu unit,
which is not recommended if you plan on moving the computer a lot. It is
about double the max weight specified by Intel for a heatsink, so go with
something lighter (AlCu?) if you don't plan on leaving the computer in one
place.

My case an Antec Quiet, has a fan connector from the power supply that
is speed regulated, which I could connect to the Zalman, which would
then be speed varied according to the temp sensor in the power supply
area. Not sure if thats a good idea.

I think the CPU fan needs to be connected to the CPU-fan header on the mobo,
and I wouldn't put it anywhere else. If I'm not mistaken, the system won't
power up without a fan connected to the CPU-fan header.

Is the Zalman noisy(ish) when on full speed.

No, not by my gauge. I have it set below max, but I could live with it at
full speed.

Old January 5th 04, 12:18 AM
BDH

I have the all copper series (cu). I set it at one speed just below max and
leave it alone. It works fine.

I think your case choice is just as important. I have the knxp - 3.0
processor in a mid tower.
The stock fan kept it around 47C no load ...the zalman 7000 cu knocked it
down to 43-44C.
I turned my case fan (side) to suck air into the case. The air flow change
knocked it down to 39 -40C.

I just put a P4C800 E in a tower(server) case with 2 front input fans and 1
side input fan with 2 back output fans and it keeps my 2.6 running ay an
unbelievable 24-29C

So you see ..I think the case is extremely important
BDH

Old January 6th 04, 05:20 PM
David D.

I have the speed controller attached, but ended-up just running the
fan at full speed all the time since there was very little extra noise
over the slower speeds. The fan is not really audible at all unless I
put my ear pretty close to it.

Dave