best mobo

Old August 14th 04, 03:10 PM
btinternet

Default best mobo

Hi, im thinking of upgrading my mobo. At the moment I am using the asrock
k7s8x. I have a athlon xp2500 with cheep ram. Im looking for a mobo that
would allow me to overclock, any suggestions.
thanks

Old August 14th 04, 03:58 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:10:34 +0000, btinternet wrote:

Hi, im thinking of upgrading my mobo. At the moment I am using the asrock
k7s8x. I have a athlon xp2500 with cheep ram. Im looking for a mobo that
would allow me to overclock, any suggestions.
thanks

Abit NF7-S

Larry Gagnon
--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

Old August 14th 04, 05:49 PM
Cuzman

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
news
" Abit NF7-S "

....ver 2.0

Old August 14th 04, 07:53 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:10:34 +0000, btinternet wrote:

Hi, im thinking of upgrading my mobo. At the moment I am using the asrock
k7s8x. I have a athlon xp2500 with cheep ram. Im looking for a mobo that
would allow me to overclock, any suggestions.

Yes, use the one you have. I overclocked a 2100+ to over 2400MHz (default
is 1733MHz) with that exact board. if you don't know how to overclock,
another board isn't going to help you. So lets see, with that cpu I'd set
the FSB to 200MHz, maybe raise vcore with the pinmod, and run the ram at
166MHz, assuming you have at least PC2700 ram..That would give you a
3200+. Or for something less drastic, set the ram to 133MHz and the FSB
to about 180. Probably won't need to raise vcore for this. that would be
aabout the same as a 2800+.

Old August 14th 04, 07:57 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:10:34 +0000, btinternet wrote:

I should have told you I ran my 2100+ at 13x185 @1.80v vcore.for 2405 MHz
on the K7S8X board.

Old August 14th 04, 09:38 PM
BigBadger

A NF7-S could make overclocking a great deal easier because of (among other
things) the adjustable core voltage... not everyone is happy doing pin-mods.

newsan.2004.08.14.18.57.06.514415@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old August 15th 04, 12:50 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:38:27 +0100, BigBadger wrote:

A NF7-S could make overclocking a great deal easier because of (among other
things) the adjustable core voltage... not everyone is happy doing pin-mods.

I can use his board and overclock 10 times faster than replacing the board
with a completely different chipset in which everything will have to be
re-done. Not to mention saving the money for the new board.:-)

Old August 15th 04, 08:17 AM
BigBadger

I'm sure 'you' could Wes... but we are talking about someone with not much
experience who may not be happy with wiring pins and cutting bridges.
However your point is taken, there is no reason to change the motherboard
unless he has reached to limit of the current system.

newsan.2004.08.14.23.54.17.622946@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old August 15th 04, 11:51 AM
Scumball

If you're feeling adventurous, then the DFI Infinity - it gets x 2 2 x
memory timings at 265 FSB out of the box !
But these boards have had their share of QC and design issues : -
Some boards won't run the full 2.0 v-core and others have had an assortment
of cold/warm boot issues.
But if you go NF2 (and it is without a shadow, THE best o/c'ing chipset),
get a spare BIOS chip since BIOS corruption is a feature of young boards
(just hotflash the corrupt chip).
The Abit NF7 is a solid board, but won't get quite the spectacular results
of the DFI.

Old August 15th 04, 07:38 PM
Hamman

"Scumball" wrote in message
If you're feeling adventurous, then the DFI Infinity - it gets x 2 2 x
memory timings at 265 FSB out of the box !
But these boards have had their share of QC and design issues : -
Some boards won't run the full 2.0 v-core and others have had an

assortment
of cold/warm boot issues.
But if you go NF2 (and it is without a shadow, THE best o/c'ing chipset),
get a spare BIOS chip since BIOS corruption is a feature of young boards
(just hotflash the corrupt chip).
The Abit NF7 is a solid board, but won't get quite the spectacular results
of the DFI.

I would have to say to not go with a DFI board. My first was a LanParty nF2
Ultra, that had a maor fault, XP wouldnt install to begin with and things
got worse untill it wouldnt POST at all.
Then i got an Infnity nF2, which didnt like one of my three sticks of ram.
The stick works fine in another pc.

They are fast though...

hamman

Help with overclocking Duron on gigabyte mobo! matiii Overclocking AMD Processors 9 June 8th 04 11:06 AM
Weird Mobo Problem... Grativo General 7 April 17th 04 07:17 PM
KT400 mobo and Barton Robert Overclocking AMD Processors 7 January 18th 04 09:00 PM
What can I do about my dead mobo? Zenobia General 3 January 5th 04 09:30 PM
How to connect front audio ports to mobo *Vanguard* General 5 December 17th 03 09:35 PM