ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard Questions

Old July 19th 03, 05:56 AM
Vincent Poy

Default ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard Questions

Greetings:

I just purchased a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard and will be building my
system soon with P4-3.2 and 4 x 512MB Corsair PC4000 DDR400 RAM and had a
few questions:

1) Does this system support 2 Floppy Disk Drives since I notice from the
manualwhen discussing the BIOS screen, it only allows setting of the
first Floppy Disk Drive type?

2) On the BIOS, is there a reason one has to install BIOS version 1008
first before installing 1009 and later since I thought when a BIOS is
flashed, it would erase the old version anyways.

3) On the Promise RAID Controller, is it possible to run SATA in non-RAID
and PATA in RAID mode or SATA in RAID and PATA in non-RAID?

4) On page 2-31 of the motherboard manual, it lists the IEEE-1394 Firewire
module with only one 6 pin connector and a 10-1 cable connector to the
motherboard. My motherboard is supplied with a IEEE-1394 Firewire
module that has 2 connectors (one 6 pin and one 4 pin) and then there
are two 10-1 connectors on the module but the cable from the motherboard
will only connect one of the connectors, is there a way to use both of
these ports?

5) I will be installing a Nvidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB Video card
which takes both the AGP slot and the PCI slot right under the AGP due
to the large heatsink, SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum eX soundcard with
IEEE-1394 firewire, and Adaptec Ultra320 SCSI Card - will there be any
issues with sharing resources with the motherboards built-in devices? I
am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1, I was wondering
will the internal audio be disabled automatically or do I have to
manually disable it in the BIOS? Also, I remember reading that
motherboards made later than year 2000 allows more than 16 IRQs in
Windows with virtual IRQs, is that appliable to this motherboard as
well?

6) Does the ASUS Post Reporter output on the speaker connected to the
motherboard?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vince
Old July 19th 03, 06:57 AM
edde

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
Greetings:

5) I will be installing a Nvidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB Video card
which takes both the AGP slot and the PCI slot right under the AGP due
to the large heatsink, SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum eX soundcard with
IEEE-1394 firewire, and Adaptec Ultra320 SCSI Card - will there be any
issues with sharing resources with the motherboards built-in devices?

am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1, I was wondering
will the internal audio be disabled automatically or do I have to
manually disable it in the BIOS? Also, I remember reading that
motherboards made later than year 2000 allows more than 16 IRQs in
Windows with virtual IRQs, is that appliable to this motherboard as
well?

Yes, it will have more than 16 IRQ's

6) Does the ASUS Post Reporter output on the speaker connected to the
motherboard?

Asus Post Reporter is output through your desktop speakers connected to the
soundcard

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vince

Old July 19th 03, 07:02 AM
Vincent Poy

"edde" wrote in
news
[...]

So it supports I/O APIC I think that's what it's called?

6) Does the ASUS Post Reporter output on the speaker connected to the
motherboard?

Asus Post Reporter is output through your desktop speakers connected
to the soundcard

Does it only work with the internal soundcard or will it work with a
soundcard plugged into PCI as well?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vince

Thanks!

Cheers,
Vince
Old July 19th 03, 08:38 AM
edde

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
"edde" wrote in
news

Asus Post Reporter is output through your desktop speakers connected
to the soundcard

Does it only work with the internal soundcard or will it work with a
soundcard plugged into PCI as well?

Apparently it will only work with the onboard sound. Atleast that is how is
works with my A7N8x Deluxe. I'm quite sure it's the same with the P4C800
boards too.
Good thing is, the A7N8X Deluxe Soundstorm is better than almost any add in
soundcard. The P4C800 Deluxe sound is supposed to be quite good too.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vince

Old July 19th 03, 07:28 PM
Vincent Poy

"edde" wrote in
:

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
"edde" wrote in
news

Asus Post Reporter is output through your desktop speakers
connected to the soundcard

Does it only work with the internal soundcard or will it work with a
soundcard plugged into PCI as well?

Apparently it will only work with the onboard sound. Atleast that is
how is works with my A7N8x Deluxe. I'm quite sure it's the same with
the P4C800 boards too.
Good thing is, the A7N8X Deluxe Soundstorm is better than almost any
add in soundcard. The P4C800 Deluxe sound is supposed to be quite good
too.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if the built-in sound is better because my friend has the
A7N8x Deluxe and the sound is worst than his SoundBlaster Live.

Cheers,
Vince
Old July 20th 03, 03:56 AM
edde

[...]

Most people agree that the onboard Soundstorm on the A7N8X Deluxe is even
better than the Audigy 2 boards.

Old July 19th 03, 05:00 PM
John

[...]

Don't lose any sleep over the post reporter. It's annoying, so you'll be
disabling it in the bios after a day or so.

You seem to have great components. Good luck to you.

Old July 19th 03, 07:29 PM
Vincent Poy

"John" wrote in
:

[...]

Haha, I just wanted to see what it sounds like if you know what I mean. ;-)

Cheers,
Vince