Laptop Purchase Advice

Old August 8th 03, 05:04 PM
Gene Brabston

Default Laptop Purchase Advice

Researching a reliable laptop for a college freshman -
Advice, brand recommendations???

Thanks,

Gene Brabston

Old August 9th 03, 03:28 AM
14:30

"Gene Brabston" wrote in message
Researching a reliable laptop for a college freshman -
Advice, brand recommendations???

Thanks,

Gene Brabston

I agree with other folk's Toshiba reccomendations- I've never owned one, but
I'm in a similar situation, and that's the way I would go. Except for cost.
I'm getting a desktop replacement- I was going to go for the Satellite
5205-, but it's too expensive, so I'm getting a Dell 8500. Great desktop
replacement, about $1200 right now ($300 online rebate).
~14:30

Old August 9th 03, 03:46 PM
ChrisJ9876

From: "santa"

"Deathwalker" wrote in message
news : most people will recommend ibm or toshiba. They are at the pricey end and
: if you don't spend enough it may be made by compal instead anyway. So buy
: dell or a compaq and get your monies worth. Don't forget to budget for
: adequate insurance for length of course for extended warranty, accidental
: damage and theft. save ya money and get an amd xp mobile processor.
: cdrewriter is essential for backups. get dvd combo to save buying a
: seperate vcr. decent sound to use as an mp3/cd player too. Invest in a
: backpack carrier bag with lots of padding too.
:
: --
: I.A.N.L.I.N.C.O.L.N.: Intelligent Android Normally for Logical
: Infiltration/Networked Construct Optimized for Learning and Nullification
: "Gene Brabston" wrote in message
: news:aSPYa.98541$YN5.69784@sccrnsc01...
: Researching a reliable laptop for a college freshman -
: Advice, brand recommendations???
:
: Thanks,
:
: Gene Brabston
:
:
:
:
go for the cheapest one you can find that will do the job and has a
reasonable warranty. Extended warranties are just cash cows for the
vendors. If you have to ship it some where for repairs remember UPS doesn't
move stuff to or from you for free. The seller should supply transport
both ways.
Remember whatever you buy today was obsolete yesterday. They're
throw-aways. Get something that allows you to back up your critical stuff.
Nothing more annoying than having 2 years of thesis material disappear on a
dud harddrive.
Laptops with heavy duty lith Ion batteries are expensive do you need to be
able to run for 8 hours without a power source?
Check the hinges on the LCD its often a weak spot get a metal case if you
can afford it.

I have to disagree with the last poster regarding extended warranties. I have
Toshiba & IBM laptops (1 of each). Purchased extended warranties on each, which
subsequently more than paid for themselves when repair was needed. (hard drive
on one, system board on the other) Shipping charge in both directions was
covered, and in both cases the laptop was repaired and back to me in 48 hours.
Old August 9th 03, 10:47 PM
JK

Get one with a mobile Athlon XP processor and 15" screen
made by HP or Compaq. They are very reasonably priced,
with models from around $800-1200 or so after rebate. I
suggest that you get one with a CDRW/DVD combo drive,
and 512 meg of ram. A hard drive with at least 40 gigs of
space is also recommended.

Gene Brabston wrote:

Researching a reliable laptop for a college freshman -
Advice, brand recommendations???

Thanks,

Gene Brabston

Dell Laptop slowing down Guy Cooper General 0 August 8th 03 12:09 AM
Laptop HDD: failure during enumeration? rcm General 0 July 25th 03 05:06 PM
advice one laptop or handheld dan braithwaite General 10 July 23rd 03 07:25 PM
Laptop Hard Disk Andy Foster General 7 June 30th 03 04:23 PM
UK Laptop and iPAQ in USA Simon General 1 June 23rd 03 03:15 PM