Worth Upgrading?

Old December 19th 03, 07:13 PM
fatboy

Default Worth Upgrading?

Is is worth upgrading from a GeForce Ti 4400 to a Hercules 9800se all in
wonder?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been holding out for some of the top end
Pro and XT cards to come down in price before taking the plunge and
upgrading, but now that I read that I can possibly get a 9800 pro for the
price of a 9800SE from Hercules, as well as a bunch of VIVO gubbins aswell,
its got me thinking.

However, I do understand that there is only a 60% chance of success with
'freeing up' the 9800se, so my question is, really, whether I would still be
getting a better graphics card with one of these (leaving aside the DX9
stuff that it can do that the 4400 can't), and would the normal upgrade be
worth the £160 outlay.

Am I getting a good deal either way, or only if I strike it lucky and am one
of the 60%.

Cheers in advance for any help you can offer.

Paul, who's got a 2800 Barton, a gig of 3200 ram running on a A7N8X deluxe
m/b, for those that care about such things.

Old December 20th 03, 04:19 AM
Max Longman

"fatboy" notme@notthisaddress wrote in message
Is is worth upgrading from a GeForce Ti 4400 to a Hercules 9800se all in
wonder?

No, there is little difference between a Ti4200 and a 9800Pro when using an Athlon
XP2000. What advantages there are, like anisotropic filtering, are balanced out
with lots of disadvantages like games only supporting Ati cards at lower
resolutions to NVIDIA cards (Tiger Woods etc) plus absolutely ****E drivers you
need to live with day to day. Unless you have the same hardware as the review
sites to drive your graphics card you will be disappointed.

Old December 20th 03, 04:29 AM
Strontium

-
Max Longman stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

"fatboy" notme@notthisaddress wrote in message
Is is worth upgrading from a GeForce Ti 4400 to a Hercules 9800se
all in wonder?

No, there is little difference between a Ti4200 and a 9800Pro when

I'm not sure what rock you crawled from under, but it sure seems the drugs
there are very good!

using an Athlon XP2000. What advantages there are, like anisotropic
filtering, are balanced out with lots of disadvantages like games
only supporting Ati cards at lower resolutions to NVIDIA cards

I, really, wish you'd share some of that hash that you are hourding!

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 20th 03, 11:24 AM
Martijn Stam

"Max Longman" wrote in message

"fatboy" notme@notthisaddress wrote in message
Is is worth upgrading from a GeForce Ti 4400 to a Hercules 9800se all in
wonder?

No, there is little difference between a Ti4200 and a 9800Pro when using

an Athlon
XP2000. What advantages there are, like anisotropic filtering, are

balanced out
with lots of disadvantages like games only supporting Ati cards at lower
resolutions to NVIDIA cards (Tiger Woods etc) plus absolutely ****E

drivers you
need to live with day to day. Unless you have the same hardware as the

review
sites to drive your graphics card you will be disappointed.

In my opinion comparing to ATI, nvidia is much worse because it's features
(e.g. no DX9) and less stability and video quality...

Martijn Stam

Old December 21st 03, 03:45 AM
Max Longman

"Martijn Stam" wrote in message
[...]

Less stability lol! Try searching Google for Ati Driver help and Nvidia Driver
help, which do you think brings up thousands more hits than the other ?

Old December 21st 03, 08:07 AM
Michael W. Ryder

Max Longman wrote:
"fatboy" notme@notthisaddress wrote in message

Is is worth upgrading from a GeForce Ti 4400 to a Hercules 9800se all in
wonder?

No, there is little difference between a Ti4200 and a 9800Pro when using an Athlon
XP2000. What advantages there are, like anisotropic filtering, are balanced out
with lots of disadvantages like games only supporting Ati cards at lower
resolutions to NVIDIA cards (Tiger Woods etc) plus absolutely ****E drivers you
need to live with day to day. Unless you have the same hardware as the review
sites to drive your graphics card you will be disappointed.

And what about the IRQL bug with Nvidia's drivers a couple of years ago?
Everybody had to try numerous different drivers to try and find one
that worked for them, if any did. I was one of those who couldn't find
a stable driver. I went to a Radeon 7500 and everything worked from the
very beginning. Going to a Radeon 9700 Pro was even less hassle, and I
got the performance I needed more than 6 months before Nvidia had a
solution, albeit very noisy one.

Worth upgrading my HD? Bobby General 8 February 23rd 05 08:25 AM
worth upgrading to ddr memory? JT Overclocking 6 December 2nd 04 12:43 AM
Worth upgrading 9700 to 9800 Pro? Andrew Marks Ati Videocards 32 December 15th 03 12:34 PM
4X and 8X agp worth upgrading to an 8X Mobo ? Dark Avenger Ati Videocards 4 November 29th 03 04:45 PM
Worth upgrading to P4P8x? Shiranui Gen-An Asus Motherboards 0 July 15th 03 03:32 AM