Putting together a new PC - Advice needed ASAP Pls

Old October 7th 03, 03:57 PM
Adam SLATER \(H0llyw00d H0gan\)

Default Putting together a new PC - Advice needed ASAP Pls

I plan on buying new parts to upgrade my current PC and use older parts as
well.
I need some experts to tell me if this will work.

New parts:-

Intel Pentium® 4 2.8GHz Socket mPGA 478 Processor (800MHz) - With HT
Intel D865PERLK The Intel® Desktop Board featuring the Intel® 865PE chipset
Generic DDR400512MB-AT1681 512MB PC3200 184pin Dimm - CAS 2.5 (or the best
brand in your opinion) **I'd get two sticks of 512mb ram to take advantage
of the dual channel memory function on the MB** ??
Sony DRU510 DVD writer

Old PC parts to use with the new parts:-
Sony CD writer
ATi Radeon 64mb TV out VIVO capture card video
3 1/2 inch floppy drive
Creative soundcard

Also will my current 300watt power supply and my Aopen case suffice ? (Been
running my Athlon 1.2g CPU and Abit motherboard ok)

Advice please ?

Old October 7th 03, 05:14 PM
Tony Sutton

"Adam SLATER (H0llyw00d H0gan)" wrote in message

Also will my current 300watt power supply and my Aopen case suffice ?

(Been
running my Athlon 1.2g CPU and Abit motherboard ok)

If I want to be on the safe side, I would go for 450watt PSU to keep
hardware happy.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old October 7th 03, 06:46 PM
Ric

[...]

if it's a decent PSU, it'll work. i'd be quite tempted to get a beefier one
though. probably with some LEDs in it, but then that's just me sucks metal
spurs out of hands after cutting blowhole in case).

the rest of your machine's pretty good (yes, get 2x sticks RAM) so it's a
shame to spoil it by worrying about your PSU - if it's *not* up to the job
it's pretty hard to diagnose and can cause all sorts of problems...

Old October 7th 03, 08:07 PM
Strontium

Make that an Antec, as well.

-
Tony Sutton stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

"Adam SLATER (H0llyw00d H0gan)" wrote in message

Also will my current 300watt power supply and my Aopen case suffice
? (Been running my Athlon 1.2g CPU and Abit motherboard ok)

If I want to be on the safe side, I would go for 450watt PSU to keep
hardware happy.

--
Strontium

"This state is elevating. As the hurt, turns into hating.
Anticipating all the ****ED up feelings, again!"

"The hurt, inside, is fading...This ****'s gone way, too far.
All this time, I've been waiting. No, I cannot grieve, anymore.
For, what's inside awaking. My God! I'm not a whore. You've taken,
everything. And, oh, I cannot give anymore..." - KoRn

Old October 7th 03, 08:26 PM
Boba & Ilinka

I would rather go wit 2.4 cpu. It is much cheaper and later on you could
upgrade processor.

Boba Vancouver

Old October 7th 03, 11:07 PM
philo

[...]

i highly advise against using "generic" RAM
i've had nothing but trouble with it and will never try to save money
on such foolishness again...

Kingston value RAM would not be a bad alternative...
and i;m sure virtually any known "name brand" would be fine...
most of the machines i;ve built use PNY (brand) and i;'ve never any any
problems with it

Old October 8th 03, 03:08 AM
Adam SLATER \(H0llyw00d H0gan\)

Can someone recommend the best model Antec case and power supply to fit this
new PC into ?

Old October 8th 03, 04:39 AM
Strontium

WHAT PC?

-
Adam SLATER (H0llyw00d H0gan) stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

Can someone recommend the best model Antec case and power supply to
fit this new PC into ?

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old October 8th 03, 08:40 AM
larrymoencurly

"Adam SLATER \(H0llyw00d H0gan\)" wrote in message ...

Intel Pentium® 4 2.8GHz
Generic DDR400512MB-AT1681 512MB PC3200
Sony DRU510 DVD writer
Sony CD writer
ATi Radeon 64mb TV out VIVO capture card video
3 1/2 inch floppy drive
Creative soundcard

Also will my current 300watt power supply and my Aopen case
suffice ? (Been running my Athlon 1.2g CPU and Abit motherboard ok)

It depends on how powerful the PSU really is because labels aren't
always accurate, as Tom's showed ( http://tinyurl.com/q4q8 ), and at
Overclockers.com Larva, who's knows tons and has built thousands of
systems, finally reached the limit of a very high quality Fortron 350W
PSU with a Pentium4 overclocked just above 3.4 GHz (
http://tinyurl.com/q4xq ). So my guess is that even the best 300W PSU
could be marginal at 2.8 GHz, and I'd want to play it safe and get a
350W. Directron.com and NewEgg.com have 350W Fortron/Sparkle PSUs for
under $40, and one of them would be a safer choice than a cheapo 500W,
which will probably look wimpier inside than even a 300W
Fortron/Sparkle.
Old October 8th 03, 09:03 AM
larrymoencurly

"philo" NONphiloNONplazaearthNONcomNON wrote in message ...

i highly advise against using "generic" RAM
i've had nothing but trouble with it and will never try
to save money on such foolishness again...

Kingston value RAM would not be a bad alternative...
and i'm sure virtually any known "name brand" would be fine...
most of the machines i've built use PNY (brand) and i've
never any any problems with it

I had problems with Kingston PC2100 256MB ValueRAM assembled in China
(failed MemTest86 after 3-4 hours, Gold Memory after 2-3 minutes,
regardless of BIOS settings, unless the bus speed was reduced from 266
MHz to 200 MHz), yet the same model module assembled in USA was fine.
The modules seemed identical, right down to their circuit boards, but
I couldn't tell anything about their chips because they were marked
only with size and speed, no manufacturer's part numbers. I had the
same problem earlier with K-byte PC2100 256MB memory containing
Spectec chips (second-rate Micron), but the module with Mystic chips
(second-rate Nanya?) worked perfectly at all but the very fastest
settings. I'm sure that none of these modules had been used by a
previous customer.
I learned that even PNY has gone the route of using unmarked memory
chips.