Windows xp home edition factory installation

Old January 22nd 05, 12:59 AM
Andrew Colville

Default Windows xp home edition factory installation

Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp full
version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario s5040an late
last year. After removing the physical data to install linux. I could
not go back to the full version. Can anyone help?
Old January 22nd 05, 02:55 AM
Ben Myers

"windows xp full version" ?? Do you mean Windows XP Pro?

If your system has a valid XP Home Certificate of Authentication sticker on it,
you should be able to reinstall XP Home using the product key from the COA.
What problem did you encounter? You may have to wipe out the Linux partition
table for Windows to install properly... Ben Myers

Old January 22nd 05, 07:40 AM
Andrew Colville

wrote:

Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp full
version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario s5040an late
last year. After removing the physical data to install linux. I could
not go back to the full version. Can anyone help?

How do i re-install with product code

Old January 22nd 05, 01:35 PM
Ken

wrote:

Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp
full version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario
s5040an late last year. After removing the physical data to install
linux. I could not go back to the full version. Can anyone help?

How do i re-install with product code

Don't most Compaqs come with a restoration partition on the HD or a set
of CDs of that partition??? Or do you really have an XP installation
CD? If you have a restoration set on CDs, you will need to follow the
procedure for restoring them. I think there might be a key you hit
during POST that allows such a restore.
Old January 23rd 05, 08:26 AM
David Efflandt

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Andrew Colville wrote:
Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp full
version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario s5040an late
last year. After removing the physical data to install linux. I could
not go back to the full version. Can anyone help?

Do you still have the recovery partition and/or did you create the
recovery tools CD and recovery CDs (or DVD) before "removing the physical
data"? If not, maybe you can order the recovery CDs from HP/Compaq.

I remember a time before CD or DVD writers were common when Compaq did not
provide any backup of the software (unless you ordered it at extra cost).
At least now they provide software to create the recovery disks, if you
discover that and make them before you mess up your system.
Old January 23rd 05, 10:38 PM
Andrew Colville

wrote:

Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp full
version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario s5040an late
last year. After removing the physical data to install linux. I could not

How do i re-install with product code

yeah just the recovery cd's.