Recommendation - mostly 2D

Old April 14th 04, 09:05 AM
Henrik Tived

Hi Ke,

I have the P4C800E Deluxe (i think that is what it is :-) ) with the
Parhelia and I am very pleased with it, which I use for Digital Darkroom
working on DSLR files.

I can't think of any problems and I have had this for some time now.

Good luck

Henrik
"ke" wrote in message
news
Building a new system around an Asus P4C800E. It will mostly be used for

2D
work, ranging from text to Photoshop, to the occasional (??) game. On most
of the systems I've built to date I've used Matrox boards, largely for the
high-quality 2D performance and general stability. However, on recent
systems the Matrox and Asus boards do not necessarily play nicely together
in certain graphics modes.

Bottom line - for general purpose use, but very high quality and stability
2D (NOT high-performance, high-end gaming), what board(s) out there would
you all recommend? I'm leaning toward considering an Asus board for
possibly better compatibility. For this system, I'd like to keep the

price
to a max of about $150 (Web price, OEM or retail). Any recommendations
appreciated.

Thanks.

Old April 15th 04, 09:38 PM
Richard Hopkins

"ke" wrote in message...
Kind of where I was leaning (Matrox 650). But I wanted to get some
input to assess whether it made any sense to consider an Asus video
board, in the (unfounded) hope that there would be more seamless
compatibility with the Asus P4C800.

What makes you think there's some sort of chronic incompatibility between
Matrox cards (in general) and the board you're considering? It would appear
that your previous experience is overwhelmingly positive, no?

At end of day the best board for your chosen application would appear to be
the Millennium P650, and there's no reason to expect any compatibility
issues with it.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old April 16th 04, 03:35 PM
ke

Historically my experience with Matrox boards has been positive, but recent
problems unique to the combination of a G550 and an Asus P4B533 have caused
me to consider other video options for a new system based on the Asus
P4C800E. While the problems experienced (system crashes caused by certain
video calls) can easily be worked around by an experienced user, since I
need to supply this system to non-technically oriented customer(s) who would
understandably be apoplectic if the system does not function flawlessly in
any and all applications they are likely to run.

Hence the interest in trying to ensure the video element of the system is
relatively bulletproof. While the end user is likely to run his common
applications day in and day out for weeks or months at a time with the
Asus-Matrox combo without a hiccup, I'd like to avoid any callbacks due to
system crashes when the end user happens to open a video using WMP 9 (or
whatever other application may access the same video call(s) that cause a
system crash in WMP9).

Thanks for the input.

Old April 16th 04, 09:59 PM
robin

"ke" wrote in message
[...]

I'm using a G400 Max and if you're interested in 2D, that's about all
you'll need. Great 2D and I have no problem playing dvds, etc.
Old April 17th 04, 01:48 AM
Larc

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:59:56 GMT, robin wrote:

| I'm using a G400 Max and if you're interested in 2D, that's about all
| you'll need. Great 2D and I have no problem playing dvds, etc.

I'm not sure they're still available new, but Newegg has the G450 for
$89 including shipping. I just bought another one.

Larc