Quick Question

Old June 20th 04, 10:49 PM
Matt

Default Quick Question

I haven't built in a while and have gotten a bit out of the loop with the
current trends. My current PC isn't really cutting it anymore and I'm
thinking it's time to build a new one soon and my question is should I build
now or or is there something coming out that is big enough for me to wait
until closer to the end of the year? If it's something small or something
that really won't be fully utilized for a year or two more than I'll
probably just go ahead and build, but I thought I'd ask your opinions first.

I need the system primarily for Photoshop and video work but I will run the
occasional game (just to cut the stress).

Here's what I'm currently considering (keep in mind that I'm going to
substitute the 380w pws with an Antec true 480 that I already have):

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=762991

Old June 20th 04, 11:49 PM
Matt

Matt wrote:

My current PC isn't really cutting it anymore

There is you answer.

Old June 21st 04, 12:07 AM
Matt

"Matt" wrote in message
Matt wrote:

My current PC isn't really cutting it anymore

There is you answer.

Well it does still work! It's just a bit unstable and sluggish with larger
files and having multiple applications open at once can slow things way
down. As long as I take certain precautions it will get the job done. I
would just like to speed up my workflow a bit and create a more productive
environment.

Old June 21st 04, 12:47 AM
Dave C.

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Three glaring errors in that rig. First, the dual layer DVD burners are out
now, and cost no more than the single layer burner you chose. So you are
obsolete before you even place the order. Also, what's the floppy drive
for? You still have an eight-track player in your car? I've read that
sometimes the floppy is necessary to install SATA drivers. But you've got
an old one NOW you can use. (right???) Besides which, you should be able to
boot from a USB flash drive, also. The USB flash drive would be more
useful. I'd hate to see you buy a floppy drive to use once, or maybe not
use it at all.

Third glaring error is the high-end video card. Normally a good idea, but
just a huge waste of money right now, unless you want to spend another $300
or more on another video card in two years or less. Spend less than $100 on
your video card. PCI Express will be required for your next build, so you
have to wonder if $300 is worth it for a video card that will be used a year
or two AT MOST. IMHO, NO WAY! -Dave

Old June 21st 04, 11:48 AM
Matt

Dave C. wrote:

Three glaring errors in that rig.

Also, what's the floppy drive
for? You still have an eight-track player in your car? I've read that
sometimes the floppy is necessary to install SATA drivers. But you've got
an old one NOW you can use. (right???) Besides which, you should be able to
boot from a USB flash drive, also. The USB flash drive would be more
useful. I'd hate to see you buy a floppy drive to use once, or maybe not
use it at all.

Phew ... good thing you saved him from blowing $14 on a floppy. Yeah,
that woulda been a HUGE mistake. All the people buying and selling
floppy drives these days are clearly wrong (right???). You saved the OP
a lot of regret.

Old June 21st 04, 11:56 AM
Matt

"Dave C." wrote in message

"Matt" wrote in message

[...]

Well I did the wish list a while ago and I admit that I didn't notice that I
had a single layer DVD burner in there. The floppy is there because I still
have clients that give me the occasional floppy disk and when I ask them for
something else their eyes tend to glaze over and they become confused. I do
have an older floppy but it's not black and I was trying to keep the system
slightly aesthetically pleasing.

Now for the video card. As I said earlier I wanted to have partial gaming
capabilities on this system and so I added the video card. If I go with a
9800 pro I'll most likely go with an "off brand" to save a little money. I
usually run Matrox cards in my systems and they're great for 2d applications
but don't quite hold up to the latest games. I do have an older 9500 Pro
that I might stick in this system... I guess the 9800 Pro was more of a
luxury item.

Old June 21st 04, 12:03 PM
Harry

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:47:45 -0400, "Dave C." wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

As far as PCI Express is concerned....if this guy is building a new PC
I doubt he will want/need to consider PCI Express for a while (at
least 2 years).

Indeed I would say (for most folk) avoid PCI Express and BTX until
they have been around for at least 8 months (so we are talking 14
months from now), to allow all the problems (which will occur) to be
ironed out by the Mobo makers.

When PCI Express is finally mainstream, then standard PCI will be
around for at least 16 more months (for mobos) and I would expect at
least 2 years more for card makers.

The spec. this guy has is more than enough for Photoshop and Video
work. Go with this and you will certainly have no need to upgrade for
3 years or more.
Old June 21st 04, 12:27 PM
Matt

Matt wrote:
I haven't built in a while and have gotten a bit out of the loop with the
current trends. My current PC isn't really cutting it anymore and I'm
thinking it's time to build a new one soon and my question is should I build
now or or is there something coming out that is big enough for me to wait
until closer to the end of the year? If it's something small or something
that really won't be fully utilized for a year or two more than I'll
probably just go ahead and build, but I thought I'd ask your opinions first.

I need the system primarily for Photoshop and video work but I will run the
occasional game (just to cut the stress).

Here's what I'm currently considering (keep in mind that I'm going to
substitute the 380w pws with an Antec true 480 that I already have):

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=762991

Offhand I'd say you could save about $800 (33%) by giving up 10% of the
performance. It depends on your need for speed.

Also the answer depends (for instance) on whether you are now running a
P3 or a 2.8GHz P4.

Old June 21st 04, 01:08 PM
Matt

"Matt" wrote in message
Matt wrote:

Offhand I'd say you could save about $800 (33%) by giving up 10% of

the
performance. It depends on your need for speed.

Also the answer depends (for instance) on whether you are now running

P3 or a 2.8GHz P4.

I'm running an older Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird with 784 megs of ram. I
thought about stepping down to a 3.2 to save a little cash, but since
I'm not planning to build again for a couple of years I thought it might
be best to go ahead and max out the system.

Quick question Augustus Overclocking AMD Processors 4 August 6th 04 07:57 AM
Quick question Rednaxela Overclocking 0 February 9th 04 03:12 PM
Quick Question Tracy Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 14th 03 10:20 PM
Quick 'second hard drive' question!!! Michael Homebuilt PC's 2 July 4th 03 05:05 PM
Quick question.. can a 333fsb CPU work on 266 mobo? The Slayer of NaySayers! Homebuilt PC's 1 June 23rd 03 03:10 AM