Need URGENT cooling advice!! I'm too scared to do anything much!

Old October 23rd 03, 10:06 PM
Perdita X. Dream

Default Need URGENT cooling advice!! I'm too scared to do anything much!

Yes, it's me again! MBM is telling me that my CPU temp is currently 56°C, my
case temp is 44°C and something else (I don't know what sensor it's reading)
is 28°C. Now, this is almost idle (all I'm doing is surfing and
newsgroups) - I was going to have a game of Lionheart tonight, but I daren't
in case it cooks something! I applied AS3 according to AS's instructions,
but there has been no reduction in temperature at all (if anything, it's
gone up by nearly 10°C!) I'm on a limited budget (and I'm no overclocking
expert, so I wouldn't dare attempt water even if I could afford it). Maybe I
didn't apply enough AS, or maybe the heatsink's crap (all fans/heatsink were
purchased from Chillblast). You could cook your breakfast on the GPU! Some
form of HD cooling would be useful too.

I need the best cooling solution (I reckon I could afford to spend about
£80).

Can someone assist? Computing is supposed to be a pleasurable experience,
not one spent worrying whether it's going to cook!

Thanks folks!
--
Perdita X. Dream

Please help us to help you
http://groups.google.com
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Please note that the reply address is fake.
Keep all posts to the groups as private requests for assistance
(i.e. email/IM) cannot be acknowledged. Thank you.

Old October 23rd 03, 10:12 PM
Shepİ

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:06:42 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Perdita X. Dream"
wrote :

[...]

How many case fans do you have?
I have one.I run an AMD XP O/C 143/143 and my max under load gaming
temps are around 50/53 Deg C which is well within spec.
I don't think you need to spend more money.I suspect you can remove
some case fans,tidy up some cables and of course the obvious,lower the
room temp as the air required to cool the system has to come from
somewhere ;-)
Also I space my PCI cards where possible so air can flow around them
and don't restrict the back of the case where my one back 80mm case
fan is.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 24th 03, 12:24 AM
Perdita X. Dream

wrote :

[...]

Two. No, wait, I lie - three, this case has one in the chassis door.

I have one.I run an AMD XP O/C 143/143 and my max under load gaming
temps are around 50/53 Deg C which is well within spec.
I don't think you need to spend more money.I suspect you can remove
some case fans,tidy up some cables and of course the obvious,lower the
room temp as the air required to cool the system has to come from
somewhere ;-)

It is winter and this is the coldest room in the house! The case is already
about as neat as it can be. I'm just worried because 72°C under mild load is
not exactly a healthy state of affairs.

Also I space my PCI cards where possible so air can flow around them
and don't restrict the back of the case where my one back 80mm case
fan is.

I only have one PCI card (my sound card which is in the furthest slot from
the Radeon. Unless you count the USB2 hub.

I'm naive so teach me...What about my PSU, I would assume it's sufficient?

Old October 24th 03, 12:57 AM
Shepİ

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:24:00 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood

wrote :

[...]

72!!!!!!!
Bloody hell.
Check the orientation of your HS to the CPU.Sound's like you have it
the wrong way round.If there is a lip underneath it that should match
the raised lip of the CPU well?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 24th 03, 01:24 AM
Perdita X. Dream

wrote :

[...]

OK, I'll check in the morning, but I'm 99.95% certain I screwed it back on
the right way round. It's one of those that screws directly into the board,
not a clip jobbie. But, knowing me....

Thanks, Shep, I'll post back tomorrow at some point after I've had the board
out again...(

Old October 24th 03, 03:02 AM
Hank

"Perdita X. Dream" wrote in message
[...]

If your temps went up 10c after appling new thermal compound there's no
doubt your heat sink aint sunk! In other words you put the HS on wrong.

Hank

Old October 24th 03, 07:40 AM
Phrederick

didn't apply enough AS, or maybe the heatsink's crap (all fans/heatsink
were
purchased from Chillblast). You could cook your breakfast on the GPU! Some
form of HD cooling would be useful too.

Probably TOO MUCH compound. It's a lot easier to over do it that under do
it.

Make sure the heat sink is on the correct way around, and that it has even
pressure. If it uses multiple screws to hold it in place, be sure you turn
all the screws the same number of turns.

Old October 24th 03, 10:39 AM
Perdita X. Dream

Phrederick wrote:
didn't apply enough AS, or maybe the heatsink's crap (all
fans/heatsink were purchased from Chillblast). You could cook your
breakfast on the GPU! Some form of HD cooling would be useful too.

Probably TOO MUCH compound. It's a lot easier to over do it that
under do it.

Make sure the heat sink is on the correct way around, and that it has
even pressure. If it uses multiple screws to hold it in place, be
sure you turn all the screws the same number of turns.

The layer was about the thickness of an 80gsm sheet of A4 (sorry I don't
speak American so I don't know what that is in lbs/sq yd). I have taken it
off again this morning and it was the right way round. Spoke to Chillblast
this morning and I've purchased a Thermaltake heatsink (which, according to
Ben, has a nasty sticky label over the base - what's the best way to make
sure it's all removed?)

Thanks

Old October 24th 03, 07:54 PM
mcheu

wrote :

[...]

Yikes! I would have thought the Motherboard's overheat protection
would have shut you down by then (Mine defaults to 60C). A few of
possibilities come to mind:

1. When you installed the cooler, you didn't remove the "protective"
plastic on the base of the heat sink. It's clear plastic on some of
them, and some coolers don't come with instructions, so it's possible
to miss it. With the plastic in place, the heat sink just isn't going
to make any contact, all the AS3 in the world won't help you.

2. The cooler was installed crooked. Some designs make it virtually
impossible to seat it improperly this way if oriented properly, but I
guess it's possible to still put it on backwards. If this is the
case, remove it carefully, clean off the die and inspect it. This
mistake can crack or chip the core because if it's making contact at
all, it might be doing so unevenly.

3. The cooler's fan wire wasn't connected properly. You'd probably
have noticed this, as the CPU fan wouldn't be spinning. Of course, to
see this, the side panel would have to be off, and most people don't
power up the system until after the panel's in place. Anyways, if
the CPU fan isn't spinning, all you've got is a passive heat sink, in
which case, I'd say the heatsink efficiency is pretty good (all things
considered) -- but the situation is definitely not good.

Also I space my PCI cards where possible so air can flow around them
and don't restrict the back of the case where my one back 80mm case
fan is.

I only have one PCI card (my sound card which is in the furthest slot from
the Radeon. Unless you count the USB2 hub.

I'm naive so teach me...What about my PSU, I would assume it's sufficient?

I would make the suggestion to check that all the fans are oriented
such that there is a directional flow through the case (in the front,
out the back, since the PSU fan blows out the back). Of course, even
if air flow was really bad, with fans blowing every which way, I would
expect better cooling than what you're getting.
Thanks,

MCheu
Old October 24th 03, 08:08 PM
Shepİ

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:39:42 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
wrote :

Phrederick wrote:
[...]

If it's on the HS drop it in boiling water and then clean off a
plastic knife/spatula and then polish the HS bottom with a rubbing
compound/metal polish.If you don't have any compound toothpaste will
do.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email