Gateway LX-6810 issues.

Old April 29th 10, 01:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
v35322

Default Gateway LX-6810 issues.

I bought a Gateway LX-6810 pc about a year ago, and I've been going
through random shutdown issues since I bought it. The first time it
happened, it was a thermal issue caused by an overheating GPU. The
second time, the graphics card automatically updated its driver to an
unstable version.
Now, it's started to shut down on its own again, and it's gotten to the
point where I can't even boot into safe mode. When the system tries to
run the shutdown-repair process, it shuts down partway through.

Gateway LX6810
Windows Vista 64-bit
Intel Core IV
nVidia GeFORCE 210

Let me know what other specifications would be helpful. Thank you!

Old April 29th 10, 03:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"v35322" wrote in message

I bought a Gateway LX-6810 pc about a year ago, and I've been going
through random shutdown issues since I bought it. The first time it
happened, it was a thermal issue caused by an overheating GPU. The
second time, the graphics card automatically updated its driver to an
unstable version.
Now, it's started to shut down on its own again, and it's gotten to the
point where I can't even boot into safe mode. When the system tries to
run the shutdown-repair process, it shuts down partway through.

Gateway LX6810
Windows Vista 64-bit
Intel Core IV
nVidia GeFORCE 210

Let me know what other specifications would be helpful. Thank you!

Was the PC new when you bought it, and if so, did you try contacting Gateway
for warranty service to fix it?

How much RAM do you have installed, and have you tested it? You can use
Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org:80/ . Download and create a boot CD with
it.

You can try a temperature monitoring program such as HWMonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php or CoreTemp
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ and have it start at boot up. HWMonitor also
has temp readings for HDD's, motherboard monitoring, PS voltages, and a
number of other things. Very versatile (and free!). Make sure the inside of
the case and any heat sinks are free of dust, and that the fans are all
working. Check that the intake areas are clear and clean, and that no drive
cables, etc., are blocking the airflow through the case.

If you haven't already done so, you can roll the video driver back to the
previous, more stable version. Then in the Nvidia control panel, disable
searching for updated drivers. If the GPU is on-board (not a PCIe or AGP
add-on card), use only the GPU drivers from Gateway.

Have you scanned for malware? You can download and install MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html and do a full scan (not the
Quick scan) with each. If necessary, you might have to boot into safe mode
to run them.
--
SC Tom