PC power related questions

Old May 20th 05, 06:40 PM

Default PC power related questions

hi, all

The other day I was poking around insides of my computer. I took out
the motherboard, disconnected all the cables and power cords. After I
done with my research (I was in the process of fitting a new
motherboard into my pc), I put everything back in and reconnected the
power. But the computer won't power on, I rechecked the connections
but everything seems fine, motherboard power indicator was on, I got
voltage output through the 20-pin motherboard power connector. But the
machine simply wouldn't turn itself on by the power switch. I was
really puzzled and thinking I might fry something on the board. So I
did a step by step component check, and was surprised to discover the
heat sink fan wasn't properly inserted onto the mother board when I
put things back together (it's a Intel 440BX motherboard and Intel
PIII 600Mhz processor combination), once I fully inserted the heat
sink of the processor, system is back to normal.

I have a couple of questions:

1. how does the heat sink related with system power? Is it always true
that the system power will only deliver once the heat sink is in place?

2. I noticed on the 20 pin motherboard cable, only one pin has voltage
( a 5V), but I know the 20 pin cable delivers different level of
voltages to the system (12v, 5v, 3v, etc). is it because those lines
didn't detect any loads hence it won't deliver power? ( I
disconnected the power cable from motherboard during voltage
measurement).

3. I have Dell dimension T600 mini-tower system and it's equipped
with a Intel 440BX motherboard, does anyone know if it's ATX
compliant? I couldn't fit a ATX motherboard onto the chassis.

Thanks in advance.

UPS unit needed for the P4C800E-Deluxe jimbo Asus Motherboards 46 April 12th 05 05:17 PM
P5GD2 Deluxe Ðavïd Asus Motherboards 11 January 14th 05 12:17 PM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 01:47 PM
PSU related questions Justin General 6 September 24th 03 11:18 PM