Bad Bios Flash or?

Old May 4th 05, 08:52 PM
Ottar Tverberg

Default Bad Bios Flash or?

I tried the asus liveupdate on a A7V600-x and got checksum error...

I didn't read enough in the manual to do a proper recovery and had to shut
down for the night...

Now I'we read the instruction and prepared for a manual flash from disk..
But, the thing will not boot... I get long-short continous beeps and no
indication on screen..
Something is wrong but what?

Tried clearing cmos a fiew times, but to no help..

regards
ottar t

--
Sendt med M2 - Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram:
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old May 5th 05, 12:07 AM
DaveW

Sorry, but your board is now dead.

--
DaveW

newspsp9n50swzfmcgu@ottar-91fd56c6a...

Old May 5th 05, 03:21 AM
Venom

www.badflash.com is your friend.

Old May 5th 05, 03:52 AM
Paul

In article opsp9n50swzfmcgu@ottar-91fd56c6a, "Ottar Tverberg"
wrote:

I tried the asus liveupdate on a A7V600-x and got checksum error...

I didn't read enough in the manual to do a proper recovery and had to shut
down for the night...

Now I'we read the instruction and prepared for a manual flash from disk..
But, the thing will not boot... I get long-short continous beeps and no
indication on screen..
Something is wrong but what?

Tried clearing cmos a fiew times, but to no help..

regards
ottar t

This is the largest collection of beep codes I know of.
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Section 2.1.3 in the user manual indicates the board
has "Crashfree BIOS 2". Your motherboard CD contains
a BIOS file at the root level of the CD, and depending
on what version of the BIOS that happens to be, you could
try to recover the motherboard with that. If you had
a Sempron for example, you may want to do a BIOS recovery
with a later version of the BIOS than the one on the
motherboard CD. (The paper label on the BIOS chip
may indicate the release number of the factory BIOS.
Compare it to the table on this page, for your board.
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx )

Crashfree supports operation from a floppy disk or from
a CD. According to the manual, CrashFree will look for
the exact file "A7V600-X.rom" on either of those disks.
If you download an Asus BIOS to flash, you would
rename the file to match the above file name.

Boot block recovery is another form of BIOS recovery,
and in that case, a floppy containing a MSDOS boot
system, an autoexec.bat with a one-liner BIOS flash
command, a BIOS flashing program, and the BIOS file,
could be used to reflash the BIOS. But, in a sense,
CrashFree is the same thing, as you are relying on
the CrashFree code in the Boot Block of the BIOS
chip, to orchestrate the recovery. I would think if
CrashFree doesn't work, or the BIOS cannot get past
the error condition it is finding, then attempting
recovery via a Boot Block procedure won't work either.
For the Boot Block procedure to work, you would need
to be seeing the BIOS making attempts to read the
floppy drive - if it won't touch the floppy drive,
then another recovery procedure will be required.

What typically has happened to most users, is the
BIOS flashing program erases the Boot Block and
the Main BIOS code, and then the new code fails to
be flashed into the chip. With the Boot Block
erased, there is no longer any CrashFree code
available to run. (CrashFree would only really
live up to its name if there were two BIOS flash
chips. Some Gigabyte motherboards have that
feature.)

Now, since you are getting beep codes, that means
there is _some_ amount of BIOS code present. What
I cannot tell you, is where that BIOS code is
getting stuck. If somehow, you flashed the wrong
motherboard BIOS into the board, there is no way
to predict what the symptoms might be. Try
inserting a floppy into the floppy drive, with
a .ROM file on it for Crashfree to use, and see
if the BIOS will read the floppy. Wait several
minutes, as you don't want to interrupt the
flash operation, if it is happening.

If you visit the badflash.com website, they offer
a service, where they will ship you a BIOS chip with
a BIOS code programmed into it. In a couple of
days, you could have a BIOS chip in your hand. You
unplug the computer, take note of the BIOS chip
orientation (has an arrow on the plastic top), pull
the old BIOS chip out with the "U" shaped tool, then
push the new chip into place with your thumb. You have
to be careful not to bend the pins in the BIOS chip
socket while doing this, which is why the "U" shaped
removal tool is a good thing to use. The arrow mark
on the top of the new chip has to match the alignment
of the old chip, as otherwise the chip will get
burned.

In some countries Asus also offers the BIOS chip
replacement for $25, but it may take Asus longer
to ship the chip to you, than an Internet-based BIOS
chip replacement firm like badflash.com .

When doing the "clear CMOS" procedure, I hope you
have been unplugging the computer...

Good luck,
Paul
Old May 5th 05, 10:03 PM
Ottar Tverberg

wrote:

[...]

I unplugged evrything when trying to clear cmos...

When I download new bios they are named x.awd, not x.rom.... should i
rename the file anyhow?

I occasionally get the mb to boot from floppy, so maybe the recovery will
work provised the file in correct format is awailable on the floppy.

thanks for the info

regards

ottar t
Old May 6th 05, 12:46 AM
Paul

wrote:

I tried the asus liveupdate on a A7V600-x and got checksum error...

I didn't read enough in the manual to do a proper recovery and had to
shut
down for the night...

Now I'we read the instruction and prepared for a manual flash from
disk..
But, the thing will not boot... I get long-short continous beeps and no
indication on screen..
Something is wrong but what?

Tried clearing cmos a fiew times, but to no help..

regards
ottar t

snip

I unplugged evrything when trying to clear cmos...

When I download new bios they are named x.awd, not x.rom.... should i
rename the file anyhow?

I occasionally get the mb to boot from floppy, so maybe the recovery will
work provised the file in correct format is awailable on the floppy.

thanks for the info

regards

ottar t

The reason for renaming a7v6x008.awd to A7V600-X.rom
is so the CrashFree code can find it. CrashFree doesn't
have a user interface, and looks for a fixed file name.

Other Asus BIOS flashing options will offer the ability
to name the input file, in which case renaming the file
is not necessary. Since your floppy is working, maybe
you could try booting MSDOS via the floppy. Place a
copy of Aflash and a file like a7v6x008.awd on your
MSDOS boot floppy. See section 2.1.2 "Using Aflash to
update the BIOS" in the manual.

You can get the latest version of Aflash (221) here.
http://au.asus.com/support/download/...Language=en-us

Pressing altF2 is another option, and that will
cause EZflash to be executed from the BIOS chip (assuming
that part of the chip is not corrupted).

When you decompress the ZIP file you downloaded from the
Asus site, verify that the file size is 262144 bytes.
That is an exact multiple of 2 and is 256KB, the size of the
flash chip.

One reason for using Aflash, is if the flash chip contents
are so corrupted, that EZflash cannot be trusted. In any
case, since the floppy is working, you should be able
to use one of the options to place an earlier BIOS on the
board.

HTH,
Paul
Old May 6th 05, 05:54 AM
Chris

Tried clearing cmos a fiew times, but to no help..

Remove the battery for about 5 minutes.

Old May 6th 05, 09:15 PM
Ottar Tverberg

wrote:

[...]

on the cd that followed the mb there are tree files

A7V6SE1001.011
a7v6x002.awd
a7v61006.awd

now the ez flash is supposed to find one of these files from the cd.. so
which one is it?
I downloaded the newer bios a7v6x008.awd and renamed it to a7v6x008.rom,
but should I rename it to A7V600-X.rom instead?

I now get loong and short beeps continous.. again... Yesterday I managed
to get some more contact with the mb by playing with the reset button...

Will try once more to get in contact with the board, but need to use the
crashfree bios function as the mb does not respond to keyboard commands..

regards
ottar t

Old May 7th 05, 12:26 AM
Paul

In article opsqdekek9zfmcgu@ottar-91fd56c6a, "Ottar Tverberg"
wrote:

on the cd that followed the mb there are tree files

A7V6SE1001.011
a7v6x002.awd
a7v61006.awd

now the ez flash is supposed to find one of these files from the cd.. so
which one is it?
I downloaded the newer bios a7v6x008.awd and renamed it to a7v6x008.rom,
but should I rename it to A7V600-X.rom instead?

I now get loong and short beeps continous.. again... Yesterday I managed
to get some more contact with the mb by playing with the reset button...

Will try once more to get in contact with the board, but need to use the
crashfree bios function as the mb does not respond to keyboard commands..

regards
ottar t

Asus motherboard CDs usually support more than one motherboard.
My P4C800-E CD for example, has other motherboard BIOS on it
( p4c800.rom , P4c800b.rom , P4C800E.rom , P4c800ed.rom , P4p800se.rom ,
P4p8x.rom , P4p8xse.rom ). None of those files has a version
number like the files you found above. The file name is just the
motherboard name.

Your three BIOS files above are likely for A7V600 SE, A7V600-X,
and A7V600 motherboards.

I tried looking in the BIOS file, but don't see anything in the
EZflash code, in terms of a file name. I would rename what
ever BIOS file you plan to use, to A7V600-X.rom as explained in
the manual. That is the best I can suggest.

A long and short beep code could be a memory error.

Paul
Old May 7th 05, 10:09 AM
Ottar Tverberg

wrote:

[...]

Will try to reseat the memory sticks, but should I remove all memory
sticks (2x512mb)and ide/ s-ata cables so that just the display card and
floppy are connected?
think I have read something like this in the past..

The thing about renaming the bios is not mentioned at all in the manual,
so I could not get these things to work unless you helped me..

regards
ottar t

--
Sendt med M2 - Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

"Reboot and select proper boot device" Message MJB Asus Motherboards 3 April 29th 05 08:11 PM
Old P/I-P55TP4XE BIOS flash problems Erick Ondich Asus Motherboards 2 December 6th 04 03:43 PM
GA-7N400 Pro BIOS flash help needed Bill Larcombe Gigabyte Motherboards 2 June 11th 04 05:41 PM
MSI K7N420 Pro BIOS flash error Will General Hardware 0 February 7th 04 06:46 AM
A7V333-X new BIOS 1004 Paul Asus Motherboards 4 June 26th 03 12:08 PM