Got me stumped - slow in-game cut-scenes

Old May 1st 05, 06:40 AM
CobraKhan

Default Got me stumped - slow in-game cut-scenes

This has got me stumped.
Before I tell you what's wrong, I'll tell you what I've already done:
reloaded:
latest video driver
latest mainboard chipset drivers
direct x 9c
Divx plus a few other codecs
I've turned off video settings and reduced resolutions and everything I can
think of.
I've probably done lots more I can't think of at the moment.

Playing video and DVD's on the desktop works just fine
My problem is certain in-game video - I get about 1 frame per 5 to 7
seconds. Battlefield1942, the intro videos do this but no big deal - I
removed the videos from the install folders and the game jumps right to the
main menu. There are some video sequences in Toca, Race Driver 2 (between
races) that do this but I escape out of the video and race the next race. I
just picked up Nexus, The Jupiter Incident and its video does the same.
Unfortunately, the game has a huge game intro critical to the story (that
doesn't work) so I can't even play the game or get past the intro.
This happens with the CGI type movies.
Any ideas? I can't find anything that sounds similar doing Google searches.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
nVidia FX5600 256meg vid card (FX-crap card is probably my problem) AGP
1G RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy sound

Any ideas - reply to this thread

Thanks
CobraKhan

Old May 1st 05, 07:00 AM
bowgus

Mobo? Audio (conflicts) can cause strange problems ... drivers updated?
maybe on board audio (if you have it) not disabled?

Old May 1st 05, 10:37 AM
Sharanga Dayananda

I had jerky video playback problems with Final Fantasy VII; low framerate
and totally unwatchable. Reinstalling graphics drivers and reseating my 3dfx
card did absolutely nothing but that was what tech support from Creative
Labs said to try.

In the end it turned out to be a problem with the Intel Indeo video codecs.
A program I'd installed had installed an older version of them and was
screwing it up. I'm willing to bet 'tis a codec issue on yer system.

Old May 1st 05, 01:07 PM
McGrandpa

"CobraKhan" wrote in message
[...]

Definitely a video codec/player kind of problem and the FX5600. Some of
the Tombraider FMV's do this to me even now with a 6800GT. Rad/Binks
player. I don't know what type of vid those ingame FMV's are with those
games you mentioned, but their player/tools/codecs is where the problem
is.
McG.

Old May 1st 05, 01:47 PM
Rubbie

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
"CobraKhan" wrote in message
[...]

It might also be a dying CD-DVD-rom player, if the CD/DVD isn't burned
properly you will get failures sooner then with other CD/DVD's. If codec
solutions fail, perhaps try the game with a different CD/DVD-rom or install
(if possible) the entire game to your HD.

Greetz Rubbie

Old May 1st 05, 08:49 PM
CobraKhan

Fixed
I had an older 64 meg ATI Radion card hanging around so I threw it in to see
what happens. No video problems.
That will be the last nVidia.