Can't get spidif output to work?

Old April 18th 04, 04:08 PM
Jack3000

Default Can't get spidif output to work?

I recently purchased my audigy 2 zs platinum Pro and my sourround
sound works perfectly; however, I'm not able to get the SPDIF output
to work that is in back of the I/O external Hub. I've connected a
speaker with a RCA plug and plugged it into the output but I get no
sound. Maybe I'm expecting it do something that it can't do.

I'd like to be able to use my surround speakers in my living room and
at the same time, use the addtional speaker connected to the SPDIF
output. This way I can have music in my living room and at the same
time, I can hear the same music in my bedroom (if I drill a hole for
the wire of the additional speaker to go between the 2 rooms.)

Can I NOT use the analog 6.1 surround sound (which is connected to my
sound card) at the same time with the additional speaker?

Do I need to have an audio source connected to the SPFIF "INPUT"
before the SPDIF "OUTPUT" works?

The electronic documentation and manual are very lacking in what the
SPDIF output can and can't do, so if anyone has had similar beginner
problems or knows the answer, I'd love to hear the answer.

Thanks in advance!
Old April 19th 04, 09:43 AM
Lenny

Can I NOT use the analog 6.1 surround sound (which is connected to my
sound card) at the same time with the additional speaker?

You should indeed be able to use both at the same time, but the SPDIF output
will only carry a stereo signal, and you do need a digital decoder in the
other end to receive it of course, as it is not an analog sound signal (but
this I guess you knew already! )

If you get no sound through the SPDIF on the back of the module, have you
tried any other outputs the card/module may feature? You're sure the audio
cable is A-OK, etc?