One driver for all live based cards !!

Old August 28th 03, 09:48 PM
Mike

Default One driver for all live based cards !!

I have 3 sb 128 cards with different chipsets, every one of those has it's
own windows driver cd, and the card works with only with it's own driver in
windows. BUT !!!!!! I also use Linux a lot and all these different cards
work flawlessly under one driver (es1371) under linux !!!!!! This tells
something about the way creative makes its drivers.

Today I bought one of those sb live 5.1 digital cards (sb0220). Just plugged
it in and my Suse 8.2 Linux found the card and configured it for me. Works
great and sounds quite good for a card this cheap ( 35 euro ). As you might
have guessed, in Linux there is only one driver for all those emu10k1 based
cards (standard live, player, platinum, 5.1, digital etc), and they all
work with it.

This makes me wonder why creative have wasted money and effort in making a
different driver for all these cards, when clearly there is no need for it
?

Is it an effort to make those cards seem like different products for the
consumer, when they clearly are the same card. Or is there some evil scheme
afoot

Mike

Pietersen wrote:

Shepİ wrote in news:kacugvgh39fj7s33eevngl241n7e88ddmn@
4ax.com:

I'am stuck with the same problem. So if you have found some working
drivers (for win98 SE) please share it with us.

Old August 28th 03, 10:10 PM
John Sommer

I think your point is justified.

Creative should do the same thing that they do for their graphics cards (and
indeed all other manufacturers do) and use a UDA (Unified Driver
Architechure).
This however would mean huge download files and complicated updates.

So whilst a driver system like this would help the end user and make life
easier for all of us with SB cards, Creative would have a hard time
developing "intelligent" software and drivers which could be reguarly
updated, maintain full software compatibility with card specific software
and hardware and be of a sensible file size for all users to bother to
download.

John.

Old August 29th 03, 08:51 AM
Mike

Yes
But because it is possible to drive all these cards with a single driver, it
would simplify things for creative customers, if creative distributed only
the "unified" driver from it's website. Applications that came with the
card are a different story. I myself have no use what so ever with any
applications I ever got with my various soundcards, even though I sometimes
make music with my computer. The only thing I need is a stable driver

The "unified" Linux driver for live ( alsa driver snd-emu10k1-synth.o and
snd-emu10k1.o ) is not big, the size of those two files is 120 KB. So the
"unified" windows driver would not need to be big and bulky either

Mike

Old August 30th 03, 12:24 AM
Shepİ

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:48:34 +0300, In this world we created Mike
wrote :

[...]

sigh.You are so right.We of the Bill Gates *******s have to suffer
this **** :/
But then life gets dull when it all works too wellgrin :P

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,