Cooler Master Jet 7+ vs. ThermalTake Silent Boost K7

Old July 5th 04, 08:48 AM
Brett Tyre

Default Cooler Master Jet 7+ vs. ThermalTake Silent Boost K7

With this summer heat, I'm having some serious heat issues with my XP 3000+.
I'm reaching 73.5C under load (Painkiller game) after ~45 min using the
stock AMD heatsink/fan. From the reviews I've looked at, either the Cooler
Master Jet 7+ (the all copper one) or the ThermalTake Silent Boost (Hydro
Wave Bearing) are the two bast HSF combos. I've seen comparisons between
the ThermalTake and the older Cooler Master (aluminum/copper mix), and the
newer Cooler Master and other fans, but never a comparison between these
two.

Any opinions on which is better?
--
Brett Tyre

Old July 5th 04, 05:49 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 07:48:05 +0000, Brett Tyre wrote:

With this summer heat, I'm having some serious heat issues with my XP 3000+.
I'm reaching 73.5C under load (Painkiller game) after ~45 min using the
stock AMD heatsink/fan. From the reviews I've looked at, either the Cooler
Master Jet 7+ (the all copper one) or the ThermalTake Silent Boost (Hydro
Wave Bearing) are the two bast HSF combos. I've seen comparisons between
the ThermalTake and the older Cooler Master (aluminum/copper mix), and the
newer Cooler Master and other fans, but never a comparison between these
two.

Any opinions on which is better?

If you can believe this, the Jet 7 sucks. I have my doubts about this
article, but.

http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/cooling/jet7_10.php

Personally if I were going to spend this much money on a cooler, I'd
probably go ahead and get a Thermalright SLK series. But since there are
quiet $8 coolers out there that will work almost as well as the best at
the same noise levels, I tend to buy them.

Old July 5th 04, 06:20 PM
Brett Tyre

I read that article and that is actually a test on the old Jet 7, the one
with a copper base and aluminum fins; the one I'm looking at is the newer,
all copper one.

I'm leaning towards the Thermaltake as it is twenty dollars less and
apparently much quieter than the Jet 7+. Unfortunately, brands such as
Thermalright and Aerocool are not readily available; I'd have to order them
from the internet. I need something sooner than that, as without a better
HSF, my nice new gaming-system is limited to internet browsing and word
processing.

Damn this summer heat!
--
Brett Tyre

newsan.2004.07.05.16.52.19.351759@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old July 5th 04, 09:31 PM
Ski

If you can believe this, the Jet 7 sucks. I have my doubts about this
article, but.

http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/cooling/jet7_10.php

Personally if I were going to spend this much money on a cooler, I'd
probably go ahead and get a Thermalright SLK series. But since there are
quiet $8 coolers out there that will work almost as well as the best at
the same noise levels, I tend to buy them.

Thermalright now makes an aluminum/copper hybrid of the SLK series.
REAL close to the all copper in temps,
available at newegg.com for $20.

Get a sunon 80mm case fan for it while you're there
and run cool...

Put an old Vantec Tornado I had layin around on mine
with an old 3 posittion thermaltake speed switch...
kids wanna game on my houseguest machine,
they can at the flip of a switch.

Ski
Old July 7th 04, 01:38 AM
Buffalo

"Brett Tyre" wrote in message
I read that article and that is actually a test on the old Jet 7, the one
with a copper base and aluminum fins; the one I'm looking at is the newer,
all copper one.

I'm leaning towards the Thermaltake as it is twenty dollars less and
apparently much quieter than the Jet 7+. Unfortunately, brands such as
Thermalright and Aerocool are not readily available; I'd have to order

them
from the internet. I need something sooner than that, as without a better
HSF, my nice new gaming-system is limited to internet browsing and word
processing.

Damn this summer heat!
--
Brett Tyre

The one that Wes recommends can be had on the internet for around $12.
Why wait, just take the case off your PC and have a room fan blowing on it
until your new heatsink arrives.
Or, remove your old heatsink and lap it and re-apply some heatsink paste.
That will probably help quite a bit.

Old July 7th 04, 01:06 PM
rstlne

Damn this summer heat!
--
Brett Tyre

The one that Wes recommends can be had on the internet for around $12.
Why wait, just take the case off your PC and have a room fan blowing on it
until your new heatsink arrives.
Or, remove your old heatsink and lap it and re-apply some heatsink paste.
That will probably help quite a bit.

Not sure where the op is from.. but if the companys in his area (and the
deliver system) is as fast as it is in the UK then sometimes it's faster to
buy it online..
2 days to your door.. vs 3 or 4 days trying to find time to get to the pc
shop to go buy the stuff

Old August 6th 04, 06:47 PM
Brett Tyre

I decided to go with the ThermalTake Silent Boost. The difference is
incredible. Not only does the system run much quieter, the temp differences
are amazing.

Now, my ambient room temperature is a little lower, but the CPU temps when
playng games are much better. Perviously I had been getting 73.5C when
running the Painkiller demo for around 30 - 45 minutes. I used Doom 3 as
the first real test of my new heatsink and acheived a temperature of only
52C after playing for about 2 hours.

My idle is also significantly lower. It dips down to 40.5C to 41C, where as
my previous temps with the stock AMD heatsink were as high as 53C depending
on how much dust was in the case.

--
NP:
Brett Tyre

www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
"I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"