On the brink of madness...

Old January 28th 05, 05:47 PM
I.C. Koets

Default On the brink of madness...

I have a problem that quite frankly baffles me, so I might not tell it right
since I have no clue what is actually going on.

I built myself a new PC:

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (Intel 915P chipset)
2 WD harddisks, a NEC dvd/cd rw
Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card (PCIx)
Hauppauge WinTV Go! TV card

I installed W98se on it. All components' manufacturers claim their component
is supported in W98se, and I have looked up all appropriate drivers.

The problem is that the drivers will not install.

When I run the setup program of the chipset (supplied by Intel) I get the
error message that no Intel chipset is found on my pc. It then fails to
install any component. Even manual installation of the .inf files by using
the -a -a switch on the setup program, and then forcing the computer to
accept from me it has hardware that needs these drivers, results in no shown
components in the Device Manager after reboot. They just won't install.

Again, a highly similar problem when installing my videocard. I run the
setup program, and it runs until it aborts with an error message saying I
don't have a Nvidia card. I'm therefore stuck in crappy VGA.

What is going on? And more importantly, what can I do about it?

Many thanks in advance.

Old January 28th 05, 10:17 PM
Shepİ

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:47:50 +0100 Not alowing their prejudice to rule
their future "I.C. Koets" wrote :

[...]

Will the mother board specific drivers pack install off the supplied
mother board disk?
These should be the 1st driver install on any new or fresh install of
windows.
Also most updated drivers require an updated MS Installer Engine.
http://tinyurl.com/44dh

However also and important in win98,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old January 29th 05, 03:51 AM
Jerry G.

I would bet you should be running your new mother board, and new hardware's
on XP, or something like that! Then things will install.

--

Jerry G.
=====

Old January 29th 05, 04:44 AM
I.C. Koets

John Smith wrote:

Just a quick thougth, Win98SE support the chipset on the new MB?

Not natively, but Intel does supply drivers for 98se/ME.

Old January 29th 05, 04:46 AM
I.C. Koets

"Shepİ" wrote:

Will the mother board specific drivers pack install off the supplied
mother board disk?

No, the problems I mentioned are all with the appropriate supplied driver
disks.

These should be the 1st driver install on any new or fresh install of
windows.
Also most updated drivers require an updated MS Installer Engine.
http://tinyurl.com/44dh

I'll try that.

However also and important in win98,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

Good advice, but that I knew!

HTH

Thank you very much.
Old January 29th 05, 05:03 AM
I.C. Koets

"Jerry G." wrote:

I would bet you should be running your new mother board, and new hardware's
on XP, or something like that! Then things will install.

I am quite sure they would. However, I don't particularly like XP, and I'd
prefer using W98se as long as possible.

If it could handle modern hardware and applications, I'd still be running
DOS.
Old January 29th 05, 04:30 PM
Trentİ

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:47:50 +0100, "I.C. Koets"
wrote:

I have a problem that quite frankly baffles me, so I might not tell it right
since I have no clue what is actually going on.

I built myself a new PC:

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (Intel 915P chipset)
2 WD harddisks, a NEC dvd/cd rw
Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card (PCIx)
Hauppauge WinTV Go! TV card

The very first thing you should do is update the BIOS.

Many of the newer boards are manufactured with just the very basic in
features. The full use of the board comes into play with a BIOS
upgrade.

Have a nice one...

Trentİ

Old January 29th 05, 07:57 PM
I.C. Koets

wrote:

I have a problem that quite frankly baffles me, so I might not tell it right
since I have no clue what is actually going on.

I built myself a new PC:

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (Intel 915P chipset)
2 WD harddisks, a NEC dvd/cd rw
Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card (PCIx)
Hauppauge WinTV Go! TV card

The very first thing you should do is update the BIOS.

Many of the newer boards are manufactured with just the very basic in
features. The full use of the board comes into play with a BIOS
upgrade.

I already did. It doesn't seem to help.
Old January 30th 05, 02:01 AM
Shepİ

wrote:

I have a problem that quite frankly baffles me, so I might not tell it right
since I have no clue what is actually going on.

I built myself a new PC:

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (Intel 915P chipset)
2 WD harddisks, a NEC dvd/cd rw
Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card (PCIx)
Hauppauge WinTV Go! TV card

The very first thing you should do is update the BIOS.

Many of the newer boards are manufactured with just the very basic in
features. The full use of the board comes into play with a BIOS
upgrade.

I already did. It doesn't seem to help.

The win98 Install was corrupted.Do a correct,"Over-install/Repair" as
per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html
I the problem continues look to a faulty RAM stick.Don't! use software
ram programs that you can download off the net as they are
useless.Just take a stick out and use the other and vice versa even in
different slots.
Also suspect the actual Win98 CD being damaged or having finger prints
on it.You can clean it in the sink with a bit of washing up liquid and
luke warm water and then dry off with some lint free tissue.