Canon LBP-460 - what does the green lever do?

Old August 5th 03, 10:28 PM
Pyriform

Default Canon LBP-460 - what does the green lever do?

L wrote:
I find it takes too much paper when you only have several sheets in.
Try a standard not-too-thin type of paper and fill the paper cassette
to as much as it can take. Also fan out the paper beforehand.

I'll try those tips. Thanks. As well as the printer, I also got loads of
thin paper (in pink, blue and yellow!) so I've been using it while I
experiment. I'll get back to the good stuff when I start using the
printer seriously. Assuming you have the manual, does it specify a
minimum weight of paper to use? (Maximum weight must be pretty
impressive, since it still gives perfect prints when it manages to drag
ten or more sheets through!)

I print to the printer from Windows xp computer using the compatible
HP laserjet II driver and installing it as usual on an old windows 95
computer, and print via the network.

Yeah, that's what I do (same Canon driver works on 98se).

Any other questions I can help with?

I'd really, really like you to tell me what the green lever is for...

--
Pyriform

Old August 5th 03, 10:28 PM
Pyriform

JJTEC wrote:
Multiple sheet feed is general error of HP Laserjet 5L and 6L and
hence also same engine Canon models 460/660.
I guess you can try to install HP´s charge-free repair kit. See
internet for more details. It is a simple plastic pad located within
paper feed roller.

I'll look for that. Thanks.

About the lever, maybe it is just to free paper inside fuser in case
of paper jam ?

Maybe...

--
Pyriform

Old August 7th 03, 04:51 AM
Russ Wright

The green lever, is to release the gear drive to the fixing assembly in case
of a jam removal

RussW

Old August 7th 03, 03:32 PM
Pyriform

Russ Wright wrote:
The green lever, is to release the gear drive to the fixing assembly
in case of a jam removal

Thanks, Russ. So in normal operation, the lever is pulled towards
the front of the printer?

--
Pyriform

Old August 7th 03, 09:45 PM
Larry

The repair kit at fixyourownprinter.com is better, but is like $30.

Don't feel bad. These printers do this from they day they are unboxed new,
and only get worse from there. For years the name of mine on the network,
from the first week, was Jam-O-Matic.

The feeding problems were corrected by the kit from fyop.com, but the damned
thing still skews paper when feeding it, making sheet labels nearly
impossible.

I've been wanting to throw this printer in the trash can for 6 years now,
but it's still on it's first Toner and won't completely die

Larry

"JJTEC" wrote in message
Multiple sheet feed is general error of HP Laserjet 5L and 6L and hence

also
same engine Canon models 460/660.
I guess you can try to install HP´s charge-free repair kit. See internet

for
more details. It is a simple plastic pad located within paper feed roller.

About the lever, maybe it is just to free paper inside fuser in case of
paper jam ?

JJTEC

"Pyriform" wrote in message
I've been given an LBP-460, devoid of any documentation (but complete
with 4 new toner cartridges!). After my initial disappointment at
discovering there are no XP drivers, I've been printing remotely via a
wireless network to a Win98se laptop.

It works very well, except that it sometimes grabs too many sheets from
the paper feeder. I'm using some very thin paper at the moment - could
this be the problem? I've also realised I have no idea what the green
lever on the left hand side (beneath the cover) does. It only has two
positions - which one should it be in?

So to summarise: is this problem likely to be caused by the paper, the
lever, or the printer mechanism?

--
Pyriform

Old August 7th 03, 11:05 PM
Pyriform

Larry wrote:

I've been wanting to throw this printer in the trash can for 6 years
now, but it's still on it's first Toner and won't completely die

Hmm. I've still got three unopened so I guess I'll be using it until
hell freezes over...

I'm happy with it (especially since it didn't cost me anything!). It's
faster, quieter and produces higher quality text output than my ink jet,
which I'll now reserve for graphical output. And I haven't had any
misfeeds since I took the advice to keep the feed tray topped up and fan
the paper before use.

--
Pyriform

Old August 11th 03, 03:31 PM

I'm happy with it (especially since it didn't cost me anything!). It's
faster, quieter and produces higher quality text output than my ink jet,
which I'll now reserve for graphical output. And I haven't had any
misfeeds since I took the advice to keep the feed tray topped up and fan
the paper before use.

--
Pyriform

Same here, once i first found those tricks out a few months ago I've been
unwilling to replace it since its a fine workhorse but something newer and
better would suit my needs more.

I got this printer free by trading equipment with a friend so I suppose I
will keep it until it gives up and goes to printer heaven.

Old August 13th 03, 03:19 AM
Fred Farkle

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:31:48 +0100, "L"
babbled:

I'm happy with it (especially since it didn't cost me anything!). It's
faster, quieter and produces higher quality text output than my ink jet,
which I'll now reserve for graphical output. And I haven't had any
misfeeds since I took the advice to keep the feed tray topped up and fan
the paper before use.

--
Pyriform

Same here, once i first found those tricks out a few months ago I've been
unwilling to replace it since its a fine workhorse but something newer and
better would suit my needs more.

I got this printer free by trading equipment with a friend so I suppose I
will keep it until it gives up and goes to printer heaven.

The single most important thing a user can do is to fan the paper
before putting it in the tray. This piece of advice is for
printers,copiers,fax machines etc.

Paul