will a new motherboard improve my system performance for doom 3

Old August 9th 04, 05:23 PM
ed

Default will a new motherboard improve my system performance for doom 3

I have an A7V333 mobo , athlon xp 3000 (maximum cpu for the board) with
gforce 5900, 512meg of ddr 2700 memory,
Will an upgrade to an nvidia mobo such as Abit AN7 Guru nForce2 Ultra,
10/100 LAN, USB 2.0, 1394, 6Ch Audio, SATA, Raid
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=87815 or the
Abit NF7-S2G nForce2 Ultra, Gbit Lan, USB 2.0, 1394, 6Ch Audio, SATA, Raid
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=127220
have any improvement on my system speed. in particular 3d shootem ups and
specifically doom3.
I am aware that another 512 of memory will help speed things up.
TIA if this is off topic please be kind and piont me in the write direction
for advice.

Old August 9th 04, 05:38 PM
JK

Upgrading to an Athlon 64 and a new motherboard for it might
help quite a bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7

Of course upgrading to a 6800 Ultra or 6800 GT video card will also
help quite a bit.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=

Old August 9th 04, 07:58 PM
Morgan Sales

JK wrote:
Upgrading to an Athlon 64 and a new motherboard for it might
help quite a bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7

Of course upgrading to a 6800 Ultra or 6800 GT video card will also
help quite a bit.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=

But I wouldn't upgrade anything just to play Doom 3. It aint that good.

--
Morgan.
----

Mail:
Webpage:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/msales

Old August 9th 04, 08:52 PM
ed

thanks chaps for the help regarding the mobo. but not for morgans excellent
critique of the FPS genre summed up beautifully with the phrase " It aint
that good." the miserable snattergutch. ;-}

Old August 9th 04, 08:53 PM
kony

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:23:02 +0000 (UTC), "ed"
wrote:

I have an A7V333 mobo , athlon xp 3000 (maximum cpu for the board) with
gforce 5900, 512meg of ddr 2700 memory,

Will an upgrade to an nvidia mobo such as Abit AN7 Guru nForce2 Ultra,
10/100 LAN, USB 2.0, 1394, 6Ch Audio, SATA, Raid
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=87815 or the
Abit NF7-S2G nForce2 Ultra, Gbit Lan, USB 2.0, 1394, 6Ch Audio, SATA, Raid
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=127220
have any improvement on my system speed. in particular 3d shootem ups and
specifically doom3.

I am aware that another 512 of memory will help speed things up.
TIA if this is off topic please be kind and piont me in the write direction
for advice.

nFore2 board running in dual channel mode "might" get you another
5% with same CPU & video, and has a better PCI bus but that's not
so relevant to gaming.

Realistically the best upgrade at this point would be rebuilding
or a new box with an A64 CPU, m'board, a couple PC3500 512MB
memory modules... you could add more memory but A7V333 may be
bordering on instability with more memory plus you probably won't
get many more FPS with only the memory upgrade.

Old August 9th 04, 09:53 PM
mbowen83

I agree with JK. A new mobo would only be warranted if you intended on
upgrading your processor as well. The most benificial thing you could do
besides going out and buying and Alienware area 51 extreme, would be
upgrading your video card to something a little more powerful (also the
more on board memory the card has the better, since it won't be eating
system ram for video)

mbowen83

Old August 9th 04, 10:27 PM
Morgan Sales

ed wrote:
thanks chaps for the help regarding the mobo. but not for morgans
excellent critique of the FPS genre summed up beautifully with the
phrase " It aint that good." the miserable snattergutch. ;-}

You want to waste your money that's fine. Just don't come crying to me when
you realise it's not even worth the money for the game let alone the money
for new hardware.

BTW, what in gods name is a snattergutch? :-)

--
Morgan.
----

Old August 9th 04, 10:37 PM
JK

The new hardware will help with other games and software
that is not a game. It isn't like only Doom 3 performance would
benefit from hardware upgrades.

Old August 9th 04, 11:39 PM
Noozer

"ed" wrote in message
I have an A7V333 mobo , athlon xp 3000 (maximum cpu for the board) with
gforce 5900, 512meg of ddr 2700 memory,
Will an upgrade to an nvidia mobo such as Abit AN7 Guru nForce2 Ultra,
10/100 LAN, USB 2.0, 1394, 6Ch Audio, SATA, Raid
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=87815 or the
Abit NF7-S2G nForce2 Ultra, Gbit Lan, USB 2.0, 1394, 6Ch Audio, SATA, Raid
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=127220
have any improvement on my system speed. in particular 3d shootem ups and
specifically doom3.

NOTHING will help Doom3...

Doom 3 is one of the main reasons that piracy exists. They hype up the
software until everyone is foaming at the mouth. Then they release it and
make a ton of sales quickly. It doesn't take long for everyone to realize
that its a big piece o' crap.

I'm VERY glad I didn't shell any money out for this game.

I am aware that another 512 of memory will help speed things up.
TIA if this is off topic please be kind and piont me in the write

direction
for advice.

FWIW, You could try adding another 512meg of memory to your system. A faster
HDD might help, (especially a Raptor SATA drive if your mainboard supports
it, but I don't think so).

At this point there isn't much you can do to make your PC faster except
replace it, and your machine looks like it's already plenty fast! Don't
waste your time or money worrying about it.