Problem installing 6629 drivers in mandrake 10.1 linux

Old January 26th 05, 12:39 PM
Browser Joe

Default Problem installing 6629 drivers in mandrake 10.1 linux

Hi all, I seem to be having great difficulty getting my nvidia graphics
drivers to work properly. What I mean is that they install successfully
(shows the nvidia splash screen on desktop startup) but I have screen
corruption. The splash screen doesn't clear, and the graphical login
screen has words on it (user, desktop, etc.) but I can't see the
buttons. By pressing enter to login default user (there is no password
on my account) the splash screen stays there, and once again, no
buttons, no taskbar. Icons are all there, and the system is fully
functional. If I right click on desktop, the menu pulls up, and I'm able
to select something, but the menu doesn't disappear afterwards?
Eventually, I have a screen full of pop up menus that won't go away.
Desktop refresh doesn't remedy it, neither does changing res.

Anybody seen this problem? I've read about problems with this driver,
but all the older drivers will not build the kernel, so in essence, I'm
stuck with trying to get 6629 to work.

Sorry about the long post.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 26th 05, 04:29 PM
Walter de Valk

Browser Joe wrote:

[...]

I had the same problem before. After installing an older version of NVIDIA's
driver everything went fine.

Walter
Old January 26th 05, 11:44 PM
Browser Joe

Walter de Valk wrote:
Browser Joe wrote:

[...]

I solved my problem. The newer drivers are buggy, and the older drivers
wouldn't compile on my 2.6 without mods to the nv.c file. I did do the
mod, but there was a typo in one spot. Fixed that, and installation went
smoothly.